Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjFrCnww8sI :unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Do people still play multiplayer? I haven't turned on my ps4 in like 6 months but might if this announcement has rekindled interest in the game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

We usually get a group together for a friday or saturday night session every week or two, respecting life circumstances.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Can't wait too be Murder Ellie

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Cool, maybe I'll hop on tonight. PSN clanpot if anyone wants to add me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Spalec posted:

I'm pretty sure Uncharted 4 multi runs at a much higher framerate then the single player game, maybe they'll do the same here? Just turn down the particle effects and shadows and whatnot.

Yeah UC4 multi is 60fps. I'd imagine TLOU 2 will be the same.

This only thing that concerns me is that the lead MP designer quit Naughty Dog after TLOU iirc. UC4 had great multi though so I'm sure they can handle it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah UC4 multi is 60fps. I'd imagine TLOU 2 will be the same.

This only thing that concerns me is that the lead MP designer quit Naughty Dog after TLOU iirc. UC4 had great multi though so I'm sure they can handle it.

TLoU and UC4 multi had the same lead designer, Erin Daly.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Clanpot Shake posted:

Cool, maybe I'll hop on tonight. PSN clanpot if anyone wants to add me.

Add DocFuzz too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

TLoU and UC4 multi had the same lead designer, Erin Daly.

Oh nice. I must have read it wrong.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think it's outright weird that Druckman is playing up a revisionist angle and stating that "...the first game was about love, and the second game will be about hate."

If there's one thing the first game WASN'T about, it's 'love'. Rather, nearly every loving character in that game pretty much says outright that their motivations are based on various shades of 'guilt'.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

I think it's outright weird that Druckman is playing up a revisionist angle and stating that "...the first game was about love, and the second game will be about hate."

If there's one thing the first game WASN'T about, it's 'love'. Rather, nearly every loving character in that game pretty much says outright that their motivations are based on various shades of 'guilt'.

First off --- I'm hyyyyyyped!!!! The only AAA title I'm really excited about.

I'll "challenge" you on this — yes, the characters carried guilt (Joel, for not saving his daughter, and Ellie, for outliving her friend), but what those experiences did was made it agonizing for the two of them to love unconditionally again.

The god drat beautiful ending of the first one was each character being willing to do something unconscionable to them earlier in order to love. Joel would risk losing a chance at the cure to save the only person left that he still loves. And Ellie would accept Joel's lie about what happened in order to take that love...sniffle...drat I loved it!

This is one reason why I think the comparison to The Road is apt. The entire book basically asks the question, why not kill yourself in unbearable circumstances? It's answer is that the purity of caring so completely for another person makes life worth living no matter the circumstances.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cocoa Ninja posted:

First off --- I'm hyyyyyyped!!!! The only AAA title I'm really excited about.

I'll "challenge" you on this — yes, the characters carried guilt (Joel, for not saving his daughter, and Ellie, for outliving her friend), but what those experiences did was made it agonizing for the two of them to love unconditionally again.

The god drat beautiful ending of the first one was each character being willing to do something unconscionable to them earlier in order to love. Joel would risk losing a chance at the cure to save the only person left that he still loves. And Ellie would accept Joel's lie about what happened in order to take that love...sniffle...drat I loved it!

This is one reason why I think the comparison to The Road is apt. The entire book basically asks the question, why not kill yourself in unbearable circumstances? It's answer is that the purity of caring so completely for another person makes life worth living no matter the circumstances.

Fair enough, I mean, I don't want to kill the buzz on your interpretation. The ending didn't inspire warm and fuzzies in me AT ALL, in fact, that moral ambiguity was what made it interesting and profound for me. I do think it's made pretty clear that Joel, Tess, Ellie, Marlene, Bill, and even Tommy harbor enormous amounts of guilt for poo poo they've done (or survived), and that guilt defines their decisions in a concrete way. If you want to say the thing that allows them to overcome that guilt is 'love', I guess I could see it, but only in the abstract. To say that 'love' is the theme of the game is a huge stretch to me tho, and one of the most ridiculous assertions I've ever heard out of a developer.

Very excited for the sequel. Honestly, they've got a tall order trying to convince me that the story needed a sequel so I'd have to say that I'm cautiously optimistic. What I'm actually excited for right now is the prospect of a sequel to Factions multi, and I don't mean in a CoD style, tiered unlockables, more guns, more customization way...I mean in a contextual animations in every environment kind of way. I want to see Factions get even more hard-scrabble about its melee system and supply usage, in fact I hope the amount of weapons gets paired down a bit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah I have no idea where the idea that the last of us is about love even comes from. The game is incredibly nihilistic from start to finish, and the protagonist fucks up the one chance to change that outlook by murdering 50 people for fundamentally selfish reasons at the end of the game. The ending of the last of us part I destroys any meaning the entirety of the story could have had beyond Joel and Ellie

The game ends with two people, each of which are lying to each other, and each of which knows the other is lying to them, in a dead world. There's virtually nowhere to go from there.

I thought the ending was extremely well-framed and presented, and I also absolutely loving hated it because "nihilism for the sake of nihilism" makes for an appropriately meaningless story. Nothing that happens in the last of us matters, so I have nothing to be invested in for a part II. I might feel differently about this if they were using different characters.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's not a dead world. The game constantly reminds you that the world is still full of greenery and wildlife. The ending scene takes place as they're approaching Joel's brother's commune, which looks like it might be a ray of hope for the future of civilization. Two people committing to remaining as a sort of family. Joel finding it within himself to love and protect someone and take on the risk of losing them for the first time since his daughter died. The ending didn't seem nihilistic to me at all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Digirat posted:

Yeah I have no idea where the idea that the last of us is about love even comes from. The game is incredibly nihilistic from start to finish, and the protagonist fucks up the one chance to change that outlook by murdering 50 people for fundamentally selfish reasons at the end of the game. The ending of the last of us part I destroys any meaning the entirety of the story could have had beyond Joel and Ellie

The game ends with two people, each of which are lying to each other, and each of which knows the other is lying to them, in a dead world. There's virtually nowhere to go from there.

I thought the ending was extremely well-framed and presented, and I also absolutely loving hated it because "nihilism for the sake of nihilism" makes for an appropriately meaningless story. Nothing that happens in the last of us matters, so I have nothing to be invested in for a part II. I might feel differently about this if they were using different characters.

Humanity existed before civilization, dude. You think we always lived in glass towers? You think that industrial society can be maintained indefinitely?

What's dead about the world at the end of the game? If anything the world is more alive than ever. The end of human 'civilization' doesn't mean the end of humanity, as the game shows, and it certainly doesn't mean the end of life. I mean, sure, Joel did the right thing for the wrong reasons, but the whole point of the Fireflies being the antagonists is that they were willing to use the 'symbolism' of a hopeless autopsy on a 13-year-old in order to maintain cultish control over their ranks. Civilization is gone and there's no getting it back, but the various factions are willing to degrade themselves and commit atrocities in order to maintain a delusional, twisted semblance of a former way of life.

I don't see nihilism in the story at all. If anything it's pretty obvious about its intentions to show that when humanity is removed from the status of apex predator the scales of nature rebalance themselves and humans return to their former status as hunter-gatherers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Digirat posted:

I completely disagree with this take on the ending, but I don't think it's objectively wrong which is why the ending is so good.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Fair enough, I mean, I don't want to kill the buzz on your interpretation. The ending didn't inspire warm and fuzzies in me AT ALL, in fact, that moral ambiguity was what made it interesting and profound for me. I do think it's made pretty clear that Joel, Tess, Ellie, Marlene, Bill, and even Tommy harbor enormous amounts of guilt for poo poo they've done (or survived), and that guilt defines their decisions in a concrete way. If you want to say the thing that allows them to overcome that guilt is 'love', I guess I could see it, but only in the abstract. To say that 'love' is the theme of the game is a huge stretch to me tho, and one of the most ridiculous assertions I've ever heard out of a developer.

Very excited for the sequel. Honestly, they've got a tall order trying to convince me that the story needed a sequel so I'd have to say that I'm cautiously optimistic. What I'm actually excited for right now is the prospect of a sequel to Factions multi, and I don't mean in a CoD style, tiered unlockables, more guns, more customization way...I mean in a contextual animations in every environment kind of way. I want to see Factions get even more hard-scrabble about its melee system and supply usage, in fact I hope the amount of weapons gets paired down a bit.

I'm glad that the Last of Us has created characters that so many people are responding to and interpreting. I've never played a video game as an adult that evoked such a reaction out of me. And it's cool that you were seeing commonalities in the characters, too.

I agree that guilt, or shame, is the given circumstances of nearly every character. I think to help Neil Druckmann rephrase, he wouldn't disagree either. What he's getting at is that love is the only way for these characters to truly overcome their pasts and present. A lot of the game is presenting characters who are unsuccessful, in different ways, at dealing with their circumstances. Bill is stuck in denial, Tess in anger, etc. That's not in contradiction with the central thesis, but is a brilliant way of creating contrast. When Bill helps Joel and Ellie leave, he's helping someone other than himself, even in a small way. Tess's decision is forced, but her frustration on discovering her bite is partly that her life hadn't amounted to much. So the only way to make meaning was to help someone else (in this case, giving Joel a small head start). The most clear villain is probably the cannibal David, someone who in an exaggerated way couldn't care less about who he meets.

On a side note, I think a book or movie version of this same story would make this point even clearer because of how the narrative would be compressed. Each chapter would be Joel and Ellie meeting new people and learning more about how other people are coping (or not) in the apocalypse. There's also an inherent problem when the structure of the videogame itself forces you into killing hundreds of people just in the course of gameplay.

But to bring it back to love, I think the following was clear about the end of TLOU - Joel's actions are MEANT to be agonizing and morally dubious. But he's spent the whole game developing a love of this surrogate daughter and in that a new reason to live. So while some players will disagree with the correctness of his actions, they will understand and perhaps even empathize with him in spite of this. The starting point was guilt, the path was brutal, but the epiphany ("theme") was love.

We know from Joel's explanation to Ellie in the last scene that whatever we think, Joel absolutely sees his violence as a reflection of his complete and total love for Ellie. His own words are that in order to keep living in the apocalypse we have to find something to love, "to keep fighting for."

In other words....wooooo, TLOU 2!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whatever happened to the movie I wonder?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

Whatever happened to the movie I wonder?

Developmental hell it seems like.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I just figured it was one of those things that people sat on just for the option or whatever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Those kind of movies don't get made often, the licenses are too specific. Same with Uncharted.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm still waiting on the Metal Gear Solid movie, I'm sure that one would be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I just figured it was one of those things that people sat on just for the option or whatever.

I know there was a script and they were in pre production. Google says they haven't made any progress in 2 years though.

TBH I'm fine without a TLOU movie. I feel like it would be redundant and would have to compress the story too much.

• Locked thread