Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 4.3.1 - Gabriel Pope is the current player.

Action 1: Resources are collected.
Action 2: Arts + Sculptures is advanced! Culture increases.

Great Philosopher posted:

The first player to pay 1 Culture token may, as an action, both get a free Education advance and 2 Ideas.

Green Status (Golden Battler) | Blue Status (Gabriel Pope) | Yellow Status (Fat Samurai) | Red Status (Spincut) | Player Aid (Costs, etc.) | Rules | Available Wonders | Objectives

Gabriel Pope, you have one action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
3. Pay a culture for Great Philosopher, advance Writing and gain 2 Ideas.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 4.3.1 - Gabriel Pope is the current player.

Action 3: The Great Philosopher is activated for Writing and 2 Ideas. Blue gets an extra Action and Objective card.

Turn 4.3.2 - Fat Samurai is the current player.

Green Status (Golden Battler) | Blue Status (Gabriel Pope) | Yellow Status (Fat Samurai) | Red Status (Spincut) | Player Aid (Costs, etc.) | Rules | Available Wonders | Objectives

Fat Samurai, you have three actions.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Sorry, guys. I've been living on a train/plane the last few days. I'll have a turn up later tonight, when I figure out where we are.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

By "later today" I meant later today apparently. Sorry, guys.

I hate to do this, but:

1) Research Astronomy (for free, gives me an extra idea). That should trigger an event.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm going to take a leaf from the Mage Knight thread and not repeat back what people have done, because it'll save me a lot of time. Just please make sure I don't miss stuff like mood increases!

A Good Year posted:

Gain 2 Food. Barbarians attack... but none are in range.

Fat Samurai, you have two actions.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Nice.

2) Advance Storage with the 2 extra food. That's my last event for the game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Event: Great Prophet posted:

The first player to pay 1 Culture token may, as an action, both:

Gain a free Spirituality advance.
Increase City Size with a Temple in a city of his choice without activating it. City size and costs still apply.

Fat Samurai, you have one action.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ok, not bad, although I don't really need Spirituality. But hey, a free 1/2 VP:

Free) Activate NorthWestern city for 2 Food, 1 Iron.
3) Pay 1 Culture token for State Religion. Then increase the size of NE city, placing a temple in there (spending no food, due to the advancement).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You forgot the +1 Idea for harvesting with an Academy. Also you get to choose whether you want a culture or a mood token. Meanwhile, I forgot it's an add barbarians card.

Turn 4.3.3 - Spincut is the current player.

Spincut, you have three actions.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 6, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Mood token, thank you.

Also, place a barbarian encampment north of my original city and the barb on that same camp (I have to put it lose to my cities, right?)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Also, place a barbarian encampment north of my original city and the barb on that same camp (I have to put it lose to my cities, right?)

You can't place a barbarian camp on desert, unfortunately. The camp has to be within 2 of your cities, but the extra army can be anywhere on the board.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, OK. On the forest near my original city, then.

Also, the barb goes to E9

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Okay, I get a food for free start of turn because of Trade Routes.

1: Harvest resources from my southern city (1 food, 1 ore, 1 wood)
2: Build a ship and an army in my northern city.
3: Declare a Cultural Influence action, then play my Cultural Awe action card to target the barbarian camp in E9.

EDIT: I'll spend 3 culture tokens on the roll.

Spincut fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 6, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Spincut posted:

EDIT: I'll spend 3 culture tokens on the roll.

You actually get to do this after the roll, but I'll treat it as an 'up to...' CO.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 4.3.3 - Spincut is the current player.

Cultural Awe lets you target a Cultural Influence action on a nearby Barbarian settlement. If successful, it becomes your city and one of the units is retained as an Army or Settler.

Red rolls 4 and spends a single Culture token to bump it up to a success.

Turn 4.3.4 - Golden Battler is the current player.

Spincut, choose whether to receive an Army or a Settler in your new city.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
I'll take an army.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Okey-dokey. It'll be changed next map, and can just stay black for now.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Hope this isn't dead. :(

In other news, the expansion has been released and by all reports looks to be shitballs crazy.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

In other news, the expansion has been released and by all reports looks to be shitballs crazy.

I've given Golden Battler a kick, hopefully he'll spot it.

I've been waiting for the expansion for some time - hopefully it will solve the potential problem of everyone leaping for Economic Liberty.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Same.

Also, I've just seen your thread. You've gone and started your own game without having heard about CoC before this one? Stelas, you should get a comission from board game publisers or something.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Stelas posted:

I've given Golden Battler a kick, hopefully he'll spot it.

I've been waiting for the expansion for some time - hopefully it will solve the potential problem of everyone leaping for Economic Liberty.

It seems to make an attempt, mostly by giving everybody access to equally ridiculous bonus advances. Of course you can still take Economic Liberty on top of all that, but there do seem to be a lot of Autocracy/Theocracy leaning civs (something like half of the civs gain either extra benefits for non-democratic government techs or have massive synergy with them) and virtually none that have any added incentive for Democracy.

One possible pitfall I foresee is that there is a lot of "inflation" in the action economy (there are a lot of AAA abilities attached to various civs wanting to be used), so the extra actions from democracy may wind up being more important than ever.

EDIT: the Fanaticism horrifying human wave did get even better--you can now revive units at half cost via the Apothecary building, allowing you to actually grow an army by kamikaze attacking enemy temples!

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 15, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

One possible pitfall I foresee is that there is a lot of "inflation" in the action economy (there are a lot of AAA abilities attached to various civs wanting to be used), so the extra actions from democracy may wind up being more important than ever.

I'm kind of hopeful there - if the AAA abilities are actually good and fun to use, that puts a lot of incentive onto going hard into military, where you get 4 actions and a whole shitton of army bonuses rather than 3-and-a-gather. In most of the games I've played a good military civ has no problems keeping their mood tokens high enough with Drafting to power an endless string of Absolute Power turns.

On the other hand, that seems like it would depower Fanaticism quite heavily, and presumably that's why it got a buff to make up for it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Holy poo poo! I just got to looking through some of these.

Egypt Unique Advance: Man God (Priesthood) - Each Theocracy advance also grants the ability of the Autocracy advance to the left of it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

From what I've seen, they have really incresed the depth of the combat, right? (infantry, cavalry and elephants, oh my!)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yup, you get:

Infantry - 1d6
Cavalry - 1d6 + 1 per Army present with them
Elephants - 1d6 but each 1 and 2 rolled does not add to the combat score, it cancels a hit instead.

Or something like that. I haven't looked at the full expansion yet, but the 'specific cases' rules already give away a lot of neat stuff. Cities actually have more than a few pieces too, so two cities may end up fairly different in what they offer. Personal favorite is the obelisk, which is immune to cultural influence and doesn't change colour even if someone takes over your city. Once it's on the table, it's there for good.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The important question is whether you can put elephants inside a boat so you can make amphibious angry animal attacks.

In a more serious note, is the expansion very army-focused? Maybe it's because I like to build my empire in peace (Gabriel :argh:), but I feel it would detract a bit from the core game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hard to say, because so far I've only looked at the manual. I would kind of suggest that the base game doesn't have sufficiently fleshed out army stuff - there's very little to the combat rules, compared to the rules of 'building your kingdom' - and they were mostly trying to shore that up. There definitely are some civs that are focused around kingdoms rather than armies, they probably just have easier rules so they don't show up in the manual's examples.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know, I like the simplicity in the base game: Army size is the main deciding factor, with one or two science advantages and action cards. Matter of taste, I guess.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

Maybe it's because I like to build my empire in peace (Gabriel :argh:)

Sorry for viciously sending barbarians to destroy your stuff when you were minding your own business building peacefully oh wait no that is specifically the exact reverse of what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The Great Barbarian Wall was designed to provide peace to all civilizations by sending mercenaries to crush anyone who looked like a threat putting a bunch of angry dudes with clubs between us.

• Locked thread