Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Whorelord posted:

sorry that you've fallen to the cold nihilist goon virus

kill you'reself it's for the better

Nah I just really don't like Bruce Springsteen and think it's mediocre garbage that people hail as amazing when it's the opposite?

I'm not a nihilist though, let's hug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Every goon posted:

Nah I just really don't like thing and think it's mediocre garbage that people hail as amazing when it's the opposite?

Insightful & original ty

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Robo Reagan posted:

Insightful & original ty

yw want some more?

Bruce Springsteen is transethnophobic white privilege music for people who think they have it tough in the west and also have no taste in music and their ears don't work properly

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quickscope420dad posted:

yw want some more?

Bruce Springsteen is transethnophobic white privilege music for people who think they have it tough in the west and also have no taste in music and their ears don't work properly

Bruce Springsteen told the most defining figure in American conservatism to gently caress off while both were at the height of their popularity, all leftist goons have ever done is talk a big revolutionary game while twiddling their thumbs about how big and scary and MEAN those republicans are.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

exquisite tea posted:

Bruce Springsteen told the most defining figure in American conservatism to gently caress off while both were at the height of their popularity, all leftist goons have ever done is talk a big revolutionary game while twiddling their thumbs about how big and scary and MEAN those republicans are.

Regardless of the validity of this statement, it does not affect the fact that his music sounds like the inside of a well-cancered dog anus

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Lol you call telling someone to eff off political activism? How about John Lennon sleeping in for world peace, David Hasslehoff dancing on the Berlin Wall, the Spice Girls spreading the message of 'girl power' or pretty much anything Bono says or does.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Quickscope420dad posted:

Regardless of the validity of this statement, it does not affect the fact that his music sounds like the inside of a well-cancered dog anus

says the man with the lady gaga avatar?

His radio hits are all very samey. He sorta developed a certain "sound" for the radio, and its what all of his hits sound like from Thunder Road straight through to Wrecking Ball.

HOWEVER

His non single tracks are all over the place musically. Jungleland is this fantastic sprawling epic of a song with a shiver inducing sax-solo. Darkness on the Edge of Town is one of the best songs ever written. The entirety of the Nebraska album. The entirety of Ghost of Tom Joad. both of those are really different from Human Touch/Tunnel of Love.

I will say he's far better with the E Street Band rather than without. And pre born in the usa is for sure better than post born in the usa. (With the exception of the song The Rising, which makes my hair stand on end and makes me tear up, but that may just be the context with which I first heard the song).

also, Tom Waits meets the Jersey Shore in an album I'm not quite sure what to make of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPvI75rQBpo

The fact that Jukes are like 90% of Conans band is the best part of Conan.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 3, 2014

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Hes the epitome of one of those lovely USA pictures with the flag, eagles crying, 9/11 and some jets.

Its Americano plop.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Rapman the Cook posted:

Hes the epitome of one of those lovely USA pictures with the flag, eagles crying, 9/11 and some jets.

Its Americano plop.

Nah, you're thinking of Toby Keith or Ted Nugent.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Barfoid 3 posted:

This is one time where I'm really mad about how stupid goos are. Especially the "musician" goons lol.

GBS used up all of its correct opinions in the Talking Heads thread

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Lol you call telling someone to eff off political activism? How about John Lennon sleeping in for world peace, David Hasslehoff dancing on the Berlin Wall, the Spice Girls spreading the message of 'girl power' or pretty much anything Bono says or does.

what have you done to make a better world

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

eventually killing yourself doesn't count because it hasn't happened yet

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

what have you done to make a better world

I watched Live 8 pretty much all the way through and not just the music some of the Africa bits too increasing my awareness of child poverty.

e: also the other day a Greenpeace man stopped me in the street and I listened to all of his pitch and I would have donated if I wasn't broke myself but the thought was there

Shirley Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 3, 2014

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Quickscope420dad posted:

Yeah I know about that but as a musician who gets real frustrated over trying super hard not to write derivative crap his levels of success vs the quality of his music is just really depressing to me

tl;dr Bruce Springsteen is loving bad

have you ever considered that you probably have no actual musical talent

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Gobblecoque posted:

have you ever considered that you probably have no actual musical talent

Whether or not I have musical talent makes no difference to the fact that Springsteen is poo poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Let's hear your music, Quickscope420dad.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

exquisite tea posted:

Let's hear your music, Quickscope420dad.

yeah because people who like an artist i think is dirt poo poo are going to have anything positive to say about my music

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Quickscope420dad posted:

yeah because people are going to have anything positive to say about my music

lmbo

Carrier
May 12, 2009

*bangs cutlery on the table* give us the music, GIVE US THE MUSIC

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!

Bruce's boyfriend, for reals

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rapman the Cook posted:

Its Americano plop.

nope, songs like Born in the USA are more about the working class being abused and manipulated by the elites through things such as jingo patriotism.

The Reagan campaign used it for their campaign ad soundbites and had to be told by Springsteen to stop using his song.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

etalian posted:

nope, songs like Born in the USA are more about the working class being abused and manipulated by the elites through things such as jingo patriotism.

The Reagan campaign used it for their campaign ad soundbites and had to be told by Springsteen to stop using his song.

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
Till you spend half your life just covering up
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Got in a little hometown jam so they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land to go and kill the yellow man
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "son if it was up to me"
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said "son don't you understand now"
Had a brother at Khe Sahn fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there he's all gone
He had a woman he loved in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms now
Down in the shadow of penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years burning down the road
Nowhere to run ain't got nowhere to go
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a long gone daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a cool rocking daddy in the U.S.A.

deep

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Yes, it is. Elegant too.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Subliminal Sauce posted:

Bruce's boyfriend, for reals

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Quickscope420dad posted:

Whether or not I have musical talent makes no difference to the fact that Springsteen is poo poo

Yeah, it's true. I'm more on the crazy talented end of the musical spectrum, and Bruce is pretty awful from this perspective as well.

When I hear him sing, I picture Bob Dylan trying mimic Christian Bales Batman.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 3, 2014

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Super talented goon with deep, meaningful music that I can't show to anybody seeking like-minded female to share my life with. Email is in the profile, HMU if interested.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

exquisite tea posted:

Super talented goon with deep, meaningful music that I can't show to anybody seeking like-minded female to share my life with. Email is in the profile, HMU if interested.

Lol

tbh I wouldn't mind sharing something if i could offer a non-soundcard based recording, but I am waiting for my new sound interface to arrive in the post. Maybe then I'll give you something to ridicule!

les fleurs du mall fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 3, 2014

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I'm not even a Springsteen dick-rider like some but if you don't consider that a decent piece of song-writing I don't know what to tell ya. I think the fact that so goddamned many people missed the entire point of the song shows that it does have a little depth to it (also that people are loving stupid but that's a different argument)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
he's got some good songs and some not good songs

dunno if i'd pay 100 or whatever to sit through 3 hours of his music in a hockey arena tho

e: you'd think a guy who supposedly cares about the working man would charge a little less than $70 for his cheapest tickets

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

comes along bort posted:

you'd think a guy who supposedly cares about the working man would charge a little less than $70 for his cheapest tickets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

NiceGuy posted:

I'm not even a Springsteen dick-rider like some but if you don't consider that a decent piece of song-writing I don't know what to tell ya. I think the fact that so goddamned many people missed the entire point of the song shows that it does have a little depth to it (also that people are loving stupid but that's a different argument)

the second I hear someone say "USA" I just start yelling and clapping and chanting USA USA USA between gulps of my soda

• Locked thread