Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
Before I begin with my current round of issues, Let me give a bit of background of my history with the Asus P8Z77-V Pro / Thunderbolt motherboard.

Board works fine for about a year and a half - 2 years. I begin to get timing errors with my video card, that get worse and worse. Eventually I get to pink screening. After doing a lot of testing and figuring out that it was not a software problem, i tested multiple video cards on my board. Every card that required PCI power, either would barely work or not work at all. The only cards I had that would work were old video cards that did not receive additional power from the power supply. I did run tests on my power supply and could not find any issues. There was a few times where Asus power surge protection kicked in before the this all came about. I since bought a CyberPower UPS and have used that ever since.

I do RMA#1 and get my same motherboard back, and it works perfectly for the first week or so. Then about a week and a half it doesn't post one morning when i turn it on, with the RAM LED turned RED. Able to get it to post after a few times trying. Next couple of days computer runs fine, I test my RAM via windows and also MemTest and RAM tests fine. A few days later, my computer will no longer post. After about 5 calls Asus tech support, they finally agree to send me an advance RMA.

and here's where my new problems start:

Problem description: The first issue I notice is that after I set the time in BIOS, it didn't seem to take in Windows. I also notice when I go back into bios it often resets. Now when I go into BIOS, every time I boot I get this as the time and date and I cannot manually adjust it.

Also, sometimes when I boot up, I will not get a post and the VGA-led will be red. Then I try to boot again and it will post, but tell me that I have an overclock failure. I have barely touched the defaults in bios and have not attempted to do any overclocking. Also, whenever I do exit bios, it will always freeze at the end of the windows splash screen. I have to restart, where it automatically goes into startup repair, cancel that and then the computer will boot normally. This is consistent whenever I go into and then exit the BIOS. I have not noticed any video card problems but have not really tested it with any powerful 3D games yet(mostly been playing 2D platformers but they've been running fine). I did have a NVIDIA background program(forget which one) crash on me once though

Attempted fixes: As far as the issue with the time goes, I figured it was possibly the CMOS battery, I have changed that with the battery from my previous dead Asus motherboard before i sent it back to ASUS as part of my advanced RMA, this did not fix the issue. As far as the overclocking errors, I did some google searching and did not seem to find a satisfactory solution that actually fit my problem. BIOS is version 2104 - the latest version.

This is probably my last hurrah with this motherboard, if I can't solve this I'm probably not going to do a 3rd RMA and just find a motherboard that hopefully isn't prone to a lot of problems

Recent changes: Only change was I got a new Corsair RM850 power supply.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit.

System specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770k Ivy Bridge 3.5GHZ (3.9GHZ turbo) LGA 1155 77W quad-core
RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 1866 (2 X 4GB)
Video Card: Nvida Geforce GTX 560 TI

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
What's your power supply? Full brand name and model number, not just wattage.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
So the problems running a pci-e graphics card with a power connection happened after you installed the corsair 850? Or is that problem no longer happening?

As far as the overclock thing, some bios settings will attempt to do a mild overclock by default.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Factory Factory posted:

What's your power supply? Full brand name and model number, not just wattage.

Oh, durr, it was there, but hidden away not in the parts list.

Corsair's RM is a good unit, but even good units can have lemons. First check to make sure the unit isn't covered by a recall order. If it is, RMA it regardless of any further testing results. After that, do you have a spare PSU you can test with?

Also, how does the system run with the graphics card removed, using integrated graphics?

• Locked thread