Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant
Problem description: I have built a new computer from scratch. Generally, it works fine. At seemingly random times, the monitor and USB ports will lose connection until I restart the computer. The fans will continue to run when this happens, as do the power LED and reset button on the case. The monitor is plugged in to a video card. Both he USB ports in the case and those in the motherboard itself lose connection.It is possible that other ports are unaffected, but I have no devices to test these with, as all my devices are USB.

Attempted fixes: Opened and reassembled, reconnecting everything to the motherboard and power source. Attempting to reconnect the monitor and a different monitor to the video card after it happens. Plugging USB devices into different ports before and after it happens.

Recent changes: Computer is from scratch, and this problem has been recurring since I first started it.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64-bit

System specs: PCPartPicker listing

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes; most similar problems I could find seemed to be failed start-ups and only suggested replacing the motherboard, but it's brand-new and I'd hate for that to be the only solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Are you using the latest motherboard drivers (Realtek high definition audio driver, intelchipset etc.)?

Are you using the latest BIOS?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97M/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Zogo posted:

Are you using the latest motherboard drivers (Realtek high definition audio driver, intelchipset etc.)?

Are you using the latest BIOS?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97M/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

I had done so from a flash drive on initial setup, but since doing it again, it hasn't happened. Hard to say when it was so unpredictable, but redoing it may have done it. Thank you!

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Scratch that, happened again. I'm going to try reassembling again, but in the meantime, if anyone else has more ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try removing the video card and just using the onboard video temporarily. That would isolate the issue a little more.

• Locked thread