Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
usernamecooper
May 3, 2014

by Lowtax
I recently accepted a really great offer from an employer that is a grocery store. I have never worked management within one, although I have extensive management experience outside of that concept. I have been hired on to be their Front End/Coffee Bar manager and was wondering what to expect from people who have experience being managed or managing in a similar situation. I am really excited about this, and would like to succeed within my new role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugbot
Mar 10, 2006
What other industries did you manage people in, and have you ever worked in a grocery store or in retail, generally?

usernamecooper
May 3, 2014

by Lowtax

Hugbot posted:

What other industries did you manage people in, and have you ever worked in a grocery store or in retail, generally?

Retail as a stock supervisor for a year when I took a break from ongoing coffee house management for different corporations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

usernamecooper posted:

I have been hired on to be their Front End/Coffee Bar manager and was wondering what to expect from people who have experience being managed or managing in a similar situation. I am really excited about this, and would like to succeed within my new role.

Judging from the coffee bar and the desire for success, I'd assume that this is a higher end grocery store?

Figure out what the corporate culture is like. The differences between a place like a Walmart vs something like Whole Foods can be pretty surprising.

Expectations on a smoothly running front end will vary wildly depending on what sort of store it is, as well.

Hugbot
Mar 10, 2006

usernamecooper posted:

Retail as a stock supervisor for a year when I took a break from ongoing coffee house management for different corporations.

It sounds like you already have a ton of relevant experience, then, and you probably have a pretty good idea what to expect. Are the coffee bar employees just specialized retail workers from the grocery side, or are they hired specifically for the coffee bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Where I live, many grocery stores have Starbucks, or coffee shops. The demand is big enough to where retailers feel it is necessary to put in while doing remodels. I personally haven't managed the coffee shop, but there's a reason why where I work they don't get paid much, because there's not much to it. The hardest part will be keeping the bar staffed properly and working around everybody's schedule. I've seen shops do $500 to $1500 daily, so maybe you where you live shops do more volume?

Front End management is another story, I've seen so many frustrated managers that I'd never touch that position. You are the go to person to be bitched at after a frustrating shopping experience. It's up to you to try to replace those young bagger shits who call out sick. It's your responsibility to make sure there are no long checkout lines by begging over the store intercom to have stockers help out at front. Make sure you properly schedule those 20 baggers and 20 cashiers around their availability.

Oh and all the cashier frustrations you read in the retail thread is your problem. You are the one get called over when customers start having hissy fits.

Hopefully you will be hired into a store where the store manager and assistant store managers are very helpful. The one I'm at now are really good, they help with issues and cashier when lines start to get long. Other stores I've been at the senior management lock themselves away in the office all day and expect things to run smoothly.

ijii fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 8, 2014

• Locked thread