Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bortles?
This poll is closed.
Bort 93 21.63%
Bortle'd 107 24.88%
Bo 29 6.74%
Shad Borkhan 40 9.30%
Jaxson de Bort 161 37.44%
Total: 430 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I love how the narrative before was, yeah he doesn't make the team but he'll definitely land on the practice squad or someone will claim him off waivers. Now that its becoming apparent he won't even get on a practice squad its shifted to that its because he has such low upside or teams prefer their own players or whatever other excuses you can all come up with to poo poo on ESPN and the other media who for once actually seem to have gotten it right; Michael Sam won't get to play football because he likes wieners.

There's no good excuse for him not making at least a practice squad somewhere, none. He looked decent to good in the preseason and obviously is a talented player who despite his physical limitations (which I think are overblown) seems to have a knack for finding the play. Exactly the kind of player coaches like Tony Dungy used to covet if it weren't for the whole buttfucking thing he does in private that doesn't affect his on field activities one bit. This in addition to a stellar college career should get at least a chance somewhere.

quote:

Sam can now become a motivational speaker/LGBT activist, something you might think he angled for ever since he made his announcement.

You might think that, if you were a grade A retard. I hope we don't have to rehash the whole issue of just why he made that "announcement".

A Pale Horse fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
With regards to Sam, I haven't really thought to much of it but seeing him play in preseason my thought was he is definitely worthy of a PS somewhere. But to hear so many say "he has no upside" is a bit shocking, usually you say that about a 31-33 year old vet, not someone fresh out of college ranks.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Michael Sam has the potential to be a useful rusher in a 4-3. There are plenty of teams that are lacking in this area. He absolutely has a place on an NFL practice squad, to hell with media spin.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Other than the fact that he can't play special teams at all, of course.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Other than the fact that he can't play special teams at all, of course.

DEs are famous for their numerous contributions to special teams...

Far too complex to teach the intricacies of pressuring QBs on third downs. It is exactly as intricate as QB reads or coverage assignments.
VVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 1, 2014

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
If the guys Sam beat up on in preseason make rosters and he doesn't we can be pretty sure it's because he's gay. I doubt they were all special teams superstars or something.

Guys who are "only" situational pass rushers get on active NFL rosters all the time, never mind just practice squads.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Who do you think lines up at defensive end for punts? Also rotational DEs with good speed have a place in kickoff coverage to take on wedges.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

GaussianCopula posted:

I would argue it's not the fact that he is gay in vacuum but the things that come with the fact that he is the first openly gay player in the league. Let's say you are a middling team that needs a passrusher on the practice squad and you dont have one that knows your system already. Would you take the guy that gets you an insane amount of media attention? What if anyone in your organization makes a stupid comment in public which gets you into a shitstorm? What happens when you cut him again because the spot is needed for someone else? Will you, the GM, be seen as a homophobic idiot?

"Distractions" are bullshit and an easy way for any team / writer / analyst to dismiss any argument without actually making a case of their own. This is a league that happily employs rapists (hiya, Big Ben, Perrish Cox, et al!) but a gay athlete is suddenly too much? Spare me. How many undersized 4-3 DEs have been given a shot as a 3-4 OLB? A bunch. This happens all the time.

GaussianCopula posted:

Sam can now become a motivational speaker/LGBT activist, something you might think he angled for ever since he made his announcement.

You might think this is you're a total loving idiot.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

I can kinda see why the Rams would pass on him given their insane depth, but I'm holding out hope he makes a team. Dude did what any seventh rounder was asked: beat the man in front of him, which he consistently did. Plus he did the money hands after sacking Manziel, that endeared him to me quite a bit.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A Pale Horse posted:

I love how the narrative before was, yeah he doesn't make the team but he'll definitely land on the practice squad or someone will claim him off waivers. Now that its becoming apparent he won't even get on a practice squad its shifted to that its because he has such low upside or teams prefer their own players or whatever other excuses you can all come up with to poo poo on ESPN and the other media who for once actually seem to have gotten it right; Michael Sam won't get to play football because he likes wieners.

Yeah, it feels like, even here, there has been this tremendous moving of goalposts throughout the whole thing.

Before the draft he was a late fifth rounder
Then he was a good shot at third string
Then he was definitely gonna be practice squad or waiver
Now he just isn't good enough for anything

Its starting to feel like denial

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Filthy Casual posted:

which he consistently did. Plus he did the money hands after sacking Manziel, that endeared him to me quite a bit.

Once he did that, my thought was this guy will keep his spot on the Rams.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
good page so far

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Homestar Runner posted:

All this hubbub about Alex Smith when there are poor innocent football teams out there starting Matt Schaubs and Ryan Malletts. Dim times.

chiefs are a playoff team and at least one and probably two of the starters you named are on teams who are going nowhere and those two guys also didnt get $11m per year guaranteed to put up subpar numbers.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The chiefs aren't a playoff team this year.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
And either way that misses the point that some teams would love to have Alex Smith because it's pretty ugly out there for five to ten teams starting complete poo poo at QB

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Neither are the Panthers.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
What a relevant point.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

DangerKat posted:

What a relevant point.

Just a little poo poo talking at a division rival, perhaps relax a little.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Well I am quite upset about it.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

football fuckerman posted:

And either way that misses the point that some teams would love to have Alex Smith because it's pretty ugly out there for five to ten teams starting complete poo poo at QB

alex smith is complete poo poo?

he's a total product of the team he was on last season, not the other way around. put him on any of those trainwreck teams you're mentioning, and they don't all of a sudden become relevant

fat greasy puto fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 1, 2014

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

The chiefs aren't a playoff team this year.

would you have considered them a playoff team last year on september 1

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eifert Posting posted:

If he were a DE and not a tweener, you might have a point. He's 6'2" 250. Same size as most linebackers who play special teams.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yo turds there's a new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Im not seeing a September thread

• Locked thread