Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

GimpChimp posted:

Manhattan needs a little ironing out but I am fond of it, I feel like it found a niche somewhere between Mad Men and The Americans while having its own strong sense of purpose. Admittedly I know very little about physics so it's only really the language anachronisms that can ever bother me in terms of sheer pedantry.

The science on the show isn't bad, actually. I can't think of anything that stood out to me, other than a couple of little things that are too nit picky for even me to care about it. The only thing that really got under my skin was the MELTDOWN DRAMA around the X-10 reactor, but thankfully that came and went was never really brought up again.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GimpChimp posted:

Well, it wasn't so long ago that AMC or FX putting out premium original drama was a strange and unlikely idea, and their opening offerings were basically the strongest they've put out too, so let's be glad WGN is getting in the game and hope there's more to come.

Manhattan needs a little ironing out but I am fond of it, I feel like it found a niche somewhere between Mad Men and The Americans while having its own strong sense of purpose. Admittedly I know very little about physics so it's only really the language anachronisms that can ever bother me in terms of sheer pedantry.

Who did people take Meeks to be working for, by the way? I presumed the Soviets, because that's both more historical and dramatically greyer (to me anyway). The AV Club reviewer has him as the alleged Nazi spy, though, which would seem a pretty heavy heel turn. I suppose the writers don't even have to have made up their minds yet necessarily.

He's a Soviet spy. The Nazi atomic program was never a reality and fizzled out really quickly. I think there's a story about how Moe Berg while working as a spy was sent with a small pistol hidden on him to listen to a conference by Heisenberg with the explicit order to kill Heisenberg if it seemed like the Nazi's were capable of building an atom bomb and Berg realized the Nazis had no idea how to build a bomb much less the resources to do so.

quote:

From May to mid-December 1944, Berg hopped around Europe interviewing physicists and trying to convince several to leave Europe and work in America. At the beginning of December, news about Heisenberg giving a lecture in Zurich reached the OSS. Berg was assigned to attend the lecture and determine "if anything Heisenberg said convinced him the Germans were close to a bomb." If Berg came to the conclusion that the Germans were close, he had orders to shoot Heisenberg; Berg determined that the Germans were not close.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I really enjoyed the finale, because I liked the conclusion to Frank's character arc. He was always using the number of daily dead soldiers to propel him forward in his cause, because each man matters. But when it really comes down to each man, Frank was willing to throw them under the bus. I guess they hit us over the head with that, with the Ghost Liao scene but the actors had the distant stares to pull it off so I didn't mind. The set up of G-2 adding the mic's to everyone's houses comes back, and gives Frank a way to save the program and save one man. Cool.

pentyne posted:

The only "bad guy" is Tobias the head intel guy, but its his job to see spies around every corner and question the slightest irregularity. His treatment of Liao and then much later Liao's wife was brutally cold but completely within the bounds of reason for a guy who's job it is keep America safe.

G-2 isn't a "bad guy" either, but he looks that way to us because he's a constant antagonist to our heroes. There IS at least one actual spy on the hill, and keeping secrets secret is his job. Liao's death wasn't his fault, and Liao WAS doing a shady thing with the patents. I guess he's not a nice guy to Liao's wife, but there's really no nice guys here (except Fritz, ha). Tobias is the intelligence version of Frank Winters.

I don't really know much about the history, except for a few facts about the implosion model and the alternate designs for fat man and little boy. I want to read the true life story, now.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Wow good end to the season. Frank gets what he wants, says gently caress it. Think he will be back?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Factor Mystic posted:

I really enjoyed the finale, because I liked the conclusion to Frank's character arc. He was always using the number of daily dead soldiers to propel him forward in his cause, because each man matters. But when it really comes down to each man, Frank was willing to throw them under the bus. I guess they hit us over the head with that, with the Ghost Liao scene but the actors had the distant stares to pull it off so I didn't mind. The set up of G-2 adding the mic's to everyone's houses comes back, and gives Frank a way to save the program and save one man. Cool.

G-2 isn't a "bad guy" either, but he looks that way to us because he's a constant antagonist to our heroes. There IS at least one actual spy on the hill, and keeping secrets secret is his job. Liao's death wasn't his fault, and Liao WAS doing a shady thing with the patents. I guess he's not a nice guy to Liao's wife, but there's really no nice guys here (except Fritz, ha). Tobias is the intelligence version of Frank Winters.

I don't really know much about the history, except for a few facts about the implosion model and the alternate designs for fat man and little boy. I want to read the true life story, now.

G-2 as the bad guy wasn't an issue until he started doing his spiel against Charlie that consisted of "Well, if you weren't a spy then obviously you'd do everything in your power to help America, but since you haven't then the null hypothesis states you're a spy."

It seemed more like G-2 and the intelligence services just assumed the slightest bit of impropriety means someone was committing treason and treated them like animals, while the actual spies continued to operate freely because they kept their daily routine above board. It's the classic story of intelligence services going off on the wrong people at the slightest hint of trouble and actual spiess operating for years.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Finally watched the finale after being out of town for like a month. I propose that we fill a large garbage sack full of Emmys and throw it at the cast.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I was way into this show until the lesbian affair.

That was the most contrived piece of bullshit I have ever seen on television.

I mean, drat, I watch a lot of stuff and I haven't seen anything that stupid in a long time. I'm out.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

CelestialScribe posted:

I mean, drat, I watch a lot of stuff and I haven't seen anything that stupid in a long time. I'm out.

It started out pretty dumb, but I like where they went with it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

^^^ Care to summarize it in spoilers? None of the finale reviews I've read mentioned either character at all.

CelestialScribe posted:

Same here. The show never grabbed me the way it grabbed others, but that plotline was enough to make me skip out on the last three episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

^^^ Care to summarize it in spoilers? None of the finale reviews I've read mentioned either character at all.

Okay, if you're not going to watch it, I'll summarize because it actually becomes essential to the main plot.

Charlie's wife, Abby, stars an affair with the wife of one of Charlie's coworkers, a complete rear end in a top hat. For the whole affair, it seems more like Abby is just lashing out at being sheltered and controlled, given nothing to do, and once that other woman shows an interest in her it invigorates her. For 2 episodes it seems a bit weird and out of place, but eventually rear end in a top hat co-worker causes problems because he finds out Charlie and Frank are secretly working together and using the Akley group to complete the calculations needed for Frank's bomb. To silence him, Charlie convinces his wife (doesn't actually threaten but really, really pushes her) to plant some secrete material in the house of her lesbian lover so that rear end in a top hat cowoker gets arrested and sent to get tortured/interrogated by the intelligence operative. It starts to unravel in the last 2 episodes, but overall makes for great drama.

• Locked thread