Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Maybe I'm jumping the shark, but I tried out Far Cry 3 as a first impression. Ended up really liking the game and how my footage turned out with some editing. I want to see whether I can make it a meaningful LP by editing the boring bits.

Far Cry 3 is an open world, action-adventure FPS developed by Ubisoft. Somehow, the vacation of seemingly well-off young Americans goes horribly wrong and they get captured by pirates. The protagonist in his effort to save his friends gets caught up in the war on the island.

LP Style

Yes, this will be a blind LP. Well, blind toward the story and characters anyway. If I run into a game mechanic that I don't understand, I'll research it and totally open to getting general tips and ideas.

Other than the blind aspect, it is generally going to be like my other open-world LP's. I want to touch every aspect of the game and not waste your time by editing out the slow parts.

While I'm decent at shooters, I will still mess up some missions here and there. But with the magic of editing, I hope to create an enjoyable experience.

Yes, this might end up failing, but I find the risk more interesting. I would love it if you are willing to judge this LP.

Episodes

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Character Impressions

Protagonist/Jason
A rather boring, white-bread character so far.

I'm guessing he is so bland to reinforce that he's completely out of his element and blank enough that anyone can see themselves as him. Ultimately, I have no attachment to his character, his motives, or even his well-being.

He does have mystical tattoos now. Maybe he's wheat-bread now?

Grant
In any other game, Grant would be the protagonist. In this game, he's only Krillian.

Older brother to Jason and rather calm in face of their situation, Grant has the skills and the attitude to be a main character. Looking like a young Commander Shepard doesn't hurt either. But alas, he is relegated to being Jason's motivation for hating Vaas.

Though I know as little about Grant as I know about Jason. Currently care about them equally little.

Vaas
The antagonist on the cover and very charming in a sociopath sort of way.

His character isn't exactly anything complex so far but his lines and delivery is awesome. Hope to see him more.

Dennis
An outsider to the island, but very much into the mystical island Kool-aid.

Dennis does save Jason initially and give him the mystical tattoos. His stated motivations are to fight the pirates but the whole picture on him is unclear.

I wouldn't trust anyone that tells me that they'll free my mind. Even less if they tell me to lead the attack on an armed outpost after some basic weapon training.

Dr. Earnhardt
The good doctor is higher on mushrooms than Mario.

Apparently, he makes drugs and supplies Vaas' pirates but he is also protecting one of your friends. Probably has something to do with what looks like a little girl's bedroom.

Daisy
One of the girls from Jason's group. Somehow related to Grant.

Apparently got away from Vaas' pirates but managed to get poisoned in the escape. Really only serves as a plot device so far and only thing that has matter about her thus far is the fact that she reminds Dr. Earnhardt of someone (probably daughter).

Literally only matters so far because of her looks. Oh wow, she knows how to fix a boat. Maybe she can save us.

Liza
Sounds like she's the only other girl in the group. Seems to be dating or at least close to Jason.

Also, sounds like she missed a movie audition or something. That's all I got on her so far.

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 13, 2014

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Episode 5:

Trying to find out the other activities around the Rakyat town.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My coordination is kinda poo poo, so I have a lot of trouble with headshots in general, but I feel as though the game is geared towards takedowns rather than headshots. Silenced weapons proved far inferior to stab-and-drag for garrison disposal / stealth missions. (With the sole exception of sniping away at a camp from the top of a mountain, which is always fun)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 9, 2014

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
I do have issues with Stealth missions for sure. Maybe I'll try out the bow for the next one or something. So far though, I like the run-n-gun missions way more. Especially at the prison in this episode.

Episode 6:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You may want to go over the tutorials for new takedowns and the like - the explanation for the stab-and-drag takedown is rather handy.

(One of the PC takedown explanations actually has an error in it, but once you figure out a different takedown type is mapped to every mouse button, the problem isn't really major).

I have the habit exhausting side content before continuing with the main quest, so I found all these missions a lot easier then they are for you.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010
I love your LP, it's a pity it's not getting more attention. FarCry 3 has a somewhat cliched main character and it doesn't go into enough detail about a lot of the plot threads that get raised, but the important thing is that it was a fun game. Something that can get ignored when people are heaping on the criticism.

Only two things I would suggest. Firstly that the game-play is centered around stealth and take-downs with the knife. Almost every level can be completed without being detected or firing your weapon, so you might want to show off that aspect as well if you haven't considered it. Secondly that there are some sections of the cave that become unavailable after you proceed with the story, so take the time to explore it before moving on.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

This guy has a bunch of videos of taking down outposts undetected, so spoilers if you go through the rest of the playlist I guess - but what I found interesting about the linked video was the demonstration of just how nerfed the reaction times and vision lines were in the very first outpost you take out.

In other news, I played a bit with the Russian translation on. On the one hand, everything is voice acted, and the quality is fairly tolerable. On the other hand, it seems as though a lot of the later translation (particularly the DLC) was done by someone unfamiliar with basic colloquial expressions. "Bombs away" (when jumping down a hole) is translated as "It's a bomb!" "You've got him in a full nelson and I'm just going to town on him" is translated as "Do you have any needles? We should go into town", which... good guess, but no.

I'm not sure if Far Cry has the standard Ubisoft "multinational and multicultural company" warning they stick in front of the Assassin's Creed games, but... all I'm saying is that they should be paying me to translate instead. How does one get into videogame translation, anyways?

rastilin posted:

I love your LP, it's a pity it's not getting more attention. FarCry 3 has a somewhat cliched main character and it doesn't go into enough detail about a lot of the plot threads that get raised, but the important thing is that it was a fun game. Something that can get ignored when people are heaping on the criticism.
Yeah, as you may note by my desperate attempts to find something to post about, I'd rather like to see this LP get a bit of attention. We did just have like 3 different LPs of this game over the last few months though.

And I never got the hatred for Brody and his dudebro companions. In a landscape absolutely infected with a bunch of growly American supergrunts, Snowhite is probably one of the least annoying protagonists.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 22, 2014

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
@rastilin

Eh, it happens when you force something I suppose. I just really wanted to LP it despite being told that it has been LP'd a bunch already. Hoping that the lack of interest is due to people seeing so many LPs and not because it is blind though. Because there are a few other games that I want to do blind eventually.

And, I'll definitely take a peek in the caves next time I record. This type of interaction is actually something that I think can be interesting in blind LPs.

@Xander77

Hmmm, I might spent sometime in the game just practicing take downs then. After noticing how many outposts there are, there is no reason why I can't use a few of them as take down practice.

As for Brody, I personally only mind how boring he is. I don't particularly care at all about his motives yet but we'll see how it changes.

Anyway,

Episode 7:

This episode isn't really story mission based. Just trying to be sneaky again. It goes... eh in that respect.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Episode 8:

Finally managed to meet Citra and then the man in white.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Oh man, that next mission.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Episode 9:

Oh yeah, this mission.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

TLC exposure causes light sensitivity. This fact brought to you by Far Cry 3.

I'm as big a fan of sniping fools as anyone, but there are situations in which the game basically tells you "go out and BURNINATE at close range".

If you're into raising awareness of the LP or whatever, a few co-op games in between the regular episodes might work.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Well, someone actually wanted to guest commentate a story episode and I managed to work out most of the technical stuff.

Unfortunately, something technically cropped up on his end and we weren't able to get it done. But I'm willing to do guest commentary on the story missions.

I didn't want to do a constant co-comm though because scheduling is hard enough to match up once much less all the time.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Episode 10:

Technically, this was uploaded a few days ago but I was away for Labor Day... and forgot my laptop charger so I couldn't use any of my remote desktop software.

The key things that I do this episode is kill a bunch of sharks, actually do a takedown on a Wanted: Dead quest, stealth an outpost without a sniper rifle, and a drug-induced flashback provided by Earnhardt.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010
Am I allowed to directly talk about stuff you missed?

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
If it is story and I can still get to it, I'd rather just know how I can trigger it.

Otherwise, go for it.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010
It's not story but you're sharing the cave with a live bear, if you explore around the water you'll find an entry way to where it's chilling out. This gets blocked off permanently after a checkpoint in the story however so I'm not sure if it's still accessible.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Hmmm, this is the place in the cave with the Relic? Because I totally did that off-camera because there was no bear there when I found it. So it wasn't too interesting.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
So... I stopped LPing for a while due to some real-life stuff. Started again like a week ago but then we had a death in the extended family which meant I had to rush home.

Spent 1.5 days recording and editing as much as I could but I didn't get a chance to create the assets for this SA thread. Finally got a chance to do so today.

Sorry for the delay.

11. This was a co-commentary that I did with AshburnerX. Talked a lot about signature weapons and the mission was about getting Oliver.

12. We meet Buck. Apparently, he bought Keith as some sort of slave; I assume as a sex slave. Looks like he wants the same dagger as Cintra.

13. We continue gathering all the pieces of the mystical compass. Buck continues to give us history lessons.

14. Finally end our deal with Buck and get back Keith. Pretty straight-forward... ish.

15. Cintra wants us to rescue some Rakyat warriors to prove our worth. Plan goes okay then gets weird.

16. We look insanity in the face and we don't care for it.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Episode 17. We are going to Hoyt's island to continue our island adventures.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Episode 18. Trying to find a privateer outfit in a forced-stealth section.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Ep 19: Pretending to be a privateer, we try to get on Hoyt's good side.

Arkady
Jun 18, 2004

Off to work!
Even though the thread didn't take off, I really enjoyed the whole LP.
Keep up the great work. :buddy:

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Aye, but that's probably my fault. I was told there were multiple FarCry 3 LP's already but I really like the opening missions of the game and really wanted to LP it. Maybe it was selfish but it was just so much fun to play.

Or I guess it could be because it is blind. I still think there is value in a blind LP if done well but this might not be the place to be posting it.

But if I don't post here, then I don't get an excuse to make these episode icons. Also, fun and neat to do. Takes a while though.

Ep 20: We meet Hoyt and try to get on his good side while preparing to take him down.

Ep 21: We finishing setting up and try to murder Hoyt.

Ep 22: We make our escape and learn the fate of our friends.

Still have a few things left that I want to do with this thread for FarCry 3 before I start my next idea.

edit:

loving hell... apparently, Far Cry 3 saves are encrypted with your Uplay ID. So these save files that I'm finding online are largely worthless if they are legit or they are for the cracked version.

So if I want to replay the last two missions, I have to either play the whole game over again... or download the cracked version...

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

So, what are your thoughts on the game plot in general? Please write a short reply before and after reading this.

• Locked thread