Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

pseudodragon posted:

If Sam Malone's pre-Cheers career counts, then Jimmy Dugan from A League of Their Own is a HOF masher at third, filling both these needs.

That leaves a hole at catcher since Dottie's out of C and Crash is a pretty bad player. He's a career 4A catcher who even at his peak was sub-replacement level so you can't project him out like you can for Bad News Bears kids/Jake Sisko.

Maybe replace Rick Vaughn with the rear end in a top hat catcher who got traded in Major League 2 since I can't think of another good catcher. Or replace him with Jake Taylor if you care about team chemistry since a washed up MLB journeyman catcher is still better than a washed up minor leaguer.

With Crash gone, Nuke can take Vaughn's spot since he's pretty much the same type of prospect Vaughn was at the start of the first Major League.

Then Billy Chapel from For the Love of the Game fills a starting rotation spot. The prime version gets you an ace or the end of career movie version could still hold a middle/back of the rotation innings eater. He also fills the Coster spot since a movie/baseball crossover without Costner is wrong.
This all works except now you're starting Jackie Earl Haley in Bad News Bears at second, unless we're moving Benny Rodriguez in from CF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd bench that Hobbs bum and put in The Whammer.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

R.D. Mangles posted:

He struck out on three straight pitches to a mere farmboy at a carnival.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Look , if the Whammer was better than Hobbs, then the lady would've shot him instead.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

pseudodragon posted:

Then Billy Chapel from For the Love of the Game fills a starting rotation spot. The prime version gets you an ace or the end of career movie version could still hold a middle/back of the rotation innings eater. He also fills the Coster spot since a movie/baseball crossover without Costner is wrong.

Also, even at the end of his career, Billy Chapel has perfect game stuff.

What about Sylvester Coddmeyer III? I mean, we only see him as a kid, but clearly he's being groomed for success by some high-powered mentors.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK, so the lineup looks like this:

C Jake Taylor, Major League
1B Mr. Go, Mr. Go
2B Kelly Leak, Bad News Bears
SS Henry Skrimshander, The Art of Fielding
3B Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own

LF Worf, Son of Mogh, DS9: "Take Me Out To the Holosuite"
CF Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez, The Sandlot
RF Roy Hobbs, The Natural

OF Stan Ross, Mr. 3000
IF Ricky Davis, Mr. Baseball (played by Frank Thomas!)

SP Steve Nebraska, The Scout
SP Nuke LaLoosh, Bull Durham
SP Bily Chapel, For Love of the Game
SP Sidd Finch, Sports Illustrated April Fools Joke

RP Sam Malone, Cheers: "Now Pitching, Sam Malone"
RP Kazuo Uzuki, 2008 Topps Baseball April Fools Joke
RP Monty Brewster, Brewster's Millions
SU Kenny Powers, Eastbound & Down
CL Henry Rowengardner, Rookie of the Year

Manager: Billy Heywood, Little Big League

I'm back-and-forth at slotting in "movie version of Ty Cobb" at 2B, just because I don't think Kelly Leak can hit at the "imaginary all-stars" level.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 8, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sam Malone was a relief pitcher.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Mr. Go wasn't a position player. He was either the DH or he pinch hit, and it's probably a crime to include a man in place of a woman when the movie is about dames playing baseball. Vote Marla Hooch or Dottie. We should also have a tenth player on the field in the form of one of the angels from Angels in the Outfield.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Everblight posted:

I'm back-and-forth at slotting in "movie version of Ty Cobb" at 2B, just because I don't think Kelly Leak can hit at the "imaginary all-stars" level.

This also allows you to slot Walter Matthau in as the pitching coach which is a pretty good get.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Everblight posted:

This all works except now you're starting Jackie Earl Haley in Bad News Bears at second, unless we're moving Benny Rodriguez in from CF.

If there really isn't anyone else Tony Danza played 2nd in Who's the Boss. I don't remember them talking about whether he was any good, but at least he made the show before injuries turned him into a maid.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't know what position he played or why I remember this character at all, but Josh Exley of the X Files hit 61 homers for the Roswell Grays in 1947.

Could be used for some pop off the bench I guess. He was an alien and all but no superpowers so he should be legal.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I wanna see the park effects on that poo poo.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Very disappointed that Ed has been dropped. He turned an unassisted triple play at third base for gently caress's sake.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
He had a very short amateur career, but is Edward Bloom good enough to make the team?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If you want to go with a 5 man rotation, you could fill it out with Henry Wiggen from Bang the Drum Slowly (et all) who was supposed to be a star pitcher.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I agree about League of their Own. Dottie if we need a C, Marla Hooch if we need a 2B.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
If you're taking a player from DS9, shouldn't it be Buck Bokai?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Buane posted:

Yesss

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Very disappointed that Ed has been dropped. He turned an unassisted triple play at third base for gently caress's sake.

I firmly believe defenses don't really turn triple plays, idiot baserunning teams TOOTBLAN themselves into them. Ed still has a place on the Goons, just as a bench player.

Buane posted:

Bokai at third gives us Marla Hooch back at 2B, but forces us to play either Frank Thomas or Stan Ross in the OF as we lose Worf, Son of Mogh.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
We need to have a very serious discussion about whether or not a CG gorilla qualifies as a cartoon.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

MaximumBob posted:

Also, even at the end of his career, Billy Chapel has perfect game stuff.

What about Sylvester Coddmeyer III? I mean, we only see him as a kid, but clearly he's being groomed for success by some high-powered mentors.

I'm glad Sylvester Coddmeyer is being considered.

Also Domingo Ayala needs to be at least the a September Call-Up.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Did Mr. Go ever get a US release? I need to watch it.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Rand alPaul posted:

I'm glad Sylvester Coddmeyer is being considered.

Also Domingo Ayala needs to be at least the a September Call-Up.

Ayala can be an all-glove backup catcher, insane pitch framing and all.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Would Herman Munster be eligible?

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Where can we play this little guy

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Buane posted:

Where can we play this little guy

Air bud would be a great clubhouse guy and veteran presence (age in dog years). Not a great starting option though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I mean, I've long thought a Golden Retriever would be the best SS imaginable, nothing would get by him. It's getting him to throw to first that would be tricky.

At the plate he presents his own challenges vis-a-vis hitting, but I've heard dogs love taking walks. :buddy:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Everblight posted:

I mean, I've long thought a Golden Retriever would be the best SS imaginable, nothing would get by him. It's getting him to throw to first that would be tricky.

At the plate he presents his own challenges vis-a-vis hitting, but I've heard dogs love taking walks. :buddy:

Nah he's got this poo poo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pander posted:

Nah he's got this poo poo.

HE'S NOT EVEN IN THE BOX!

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
All groundouts to him will just have to be unassisted.

That is a small strike zone on him, he'd probably take alot of walks.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I want Miguel "Sugar" Santos to make the bigs even if it is the message board fictional character bigs.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
If we're considering "before they got old/injured," I'm nominating Tony Micelli for 2B.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

If we're considering "before they got old/injured," I'm nominating Tony Micelli for 2B.

Double Tony Dazas would be awesome.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Blockade Billy would be a good catcher.

For, like, a month or so.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Joey Margolis for bat boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

1B or DH could be that tall fat kid from Heavyweights that hit the dinger that bounced off the tree and hit that other fat kid in the head when he was coming back from the infirmary.

• Locked thread