Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Scyther posted:

I ordered on the twenty-first, basically right after getting the email, it shipped on the twenty-seventh, hasn't arrived yet in FL. My guess is DriveThruRPG is so dedicated to traditional gaming that they roll dice to determine when your order prints and ships.

This is possible. I got mine yesterday, also after ordering on the day I got the email. It looks great and I'm excited to read through it again, which is saying something. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I got my shipping notification on the 28th and it hasn't arrived yet, but I am in the UK. I don't know if they print in the UK or not.

But the fun thing was that it said the shipped date was the 29th so *TARDIS noise*

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
And my copy arrived! Looks good.

I wonder if the difference in shipping lead time is down to whether you went hardback or softback? I did the latter.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I feel left out! But i guess I did order really late. Here's hoping it ships soon.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Mine arrived, hooray. Paperback, to FL, if anyone thinks that'll help them figure out when theirs arrives (it won't.)

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Got my paperback to MD today. Came out REALLY nice. Excellent job Jimbozig!

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
My hardcover showed up in MA today. Way bigger than I expected! It looks great.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm going to be putting up a fresh thread early next week once I finish a few mini-projects since, y'know, the game is actually out now. Is there anything in particular people want in the OP?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I'm going to be putting up a fresh thread early next week once I finish a few mini-projects since, y'know, the game is actually out now. Is there anything in particular people want in the OP?

I either tell people that Strike! is a marriage of a streamlined D&D 4e with Dungeon World, with a little bit of FATE thrown in (if they'd know what that meant), or tell them it's a game with very rules-light role-playing and the option for tactically-interesting set piece fights. You don't have to tell people either of those things, but explaining the core roll and linking to those sample reskinned adventures & characters on the Strike! website would be nice. People could get a pretty good idea of what the game is like from that stuff.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
So, another game done. We switched gears about a week ago and instead of doing grimdark adventures in the style of Darkest Dungeon the current campaign is more traditional adventure fantasy kind of in the style of D&D but with a dash of Adventure Time. Today the PCs crashed a kobold punk band's gig and ended up fighting the band and a moshpit full of their fans (represented as grappler enemies turned 2x2 in size and with the Mob trait). For the next adventure the players will be heading into the underworld, because one of the PCs flubbed their spirit contacts roll and ended up with a Cost of "You should come down and visit some time, we hardly ever hear from you again" from one of their ancestors.

I need help with coming up with cool thematic monsters and obstacles for a Greek-styled underworld. I was even thinking of building up Cerberus as a Titan. One question about Titans though: I noticed that some of the monsters have a number in brackets after the attack symbol of some of their attacks (for an example, the dragon has a 3 in parenthesis after the melee attack symbol for their Claw attack). Does this mean that when using that type of attack the creature actually makes three attacks? If so, giving Cerberus three bite attacks with a grab as an effect (obviously, if they have a creature grabbed they can't bite with that head any more) would be appropriate, but it also feels like a lot of attacks given that Titans already act on Initiative counts 7, 5 and 3.

Anyway, what other abilities would work for Cerberus? Given that I'm going for a "Big derpy dog who just wants to play" imagining of the guy, I was thinking that giving it a huge wagging tail (attack and knock prone all enemies behind the guy) would be okay, but what else? Living Missile from the Brute feels appropriate as well.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Some sort of fetch-based attack where it comes and drops a giant ball on you in the expectation that you'll throw it. (The ball weighs more than the entire party)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Alternatively, you can throw it and turn it into a mobile hazard, but one that distracts it for a little while.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
When it becomes bloodied make it start foaming magma around its mouth, but play it like a dog being exhausted from playing a lot rather than it being in mortal peril. Then maybe make it so any bite attacks splash magma-slobber on nearby targets.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Some sort of fetch-based attack where it comes and drops a giant ball on you in the expectation that you'll throw it. (The ball weighs more than the entire party)

Poison Mushroom posted:

Alternatively, you can throw it and turn it into a mobile hazard, but one that distracts it for a little while.

Yeah, totally using this! Thanks!

Besides Cerberus, what other stuff is iconic of the traditional descent into the underworld scenario? My significant other has studied Greek mythology and suggested that getting past the boatman should be an obstacle of its own; apparently, according to older myths you had to be both dead and received a proper burial to cross the river. Well, at least one of the PCs should have an easy time of it, because the character's a skeleton. Giving Charon a coin is of course customary, but I'm thinking that it shouldn't be quite as simple as giving any old coin to Charon, but the coin has to be a coin that someone has been actually buried with, so the solution would be to trick one of the dead to trade coins with you or stealing them or something?

Also, another common thread in the myths is apparently that heroes are always descending into the underworld to bring back the dead, so I was thinking that one possible twist could be a near-sighted Hellenic hero mistaking one of the PCs for their deceased lover and stealing them away with them, essentially making the group lose time in the process.

Oh, and tortured spirits of the dead are obviously a given.

e:

Countblanc posted:

When it becomes bloodied make it start foaming magma around its mouth, but play it like a dog being exhausted from playing a lot rather than it being in mortal peril. Then maybe make it so any bite attacks splash magma-slobber on nearby targets.

Oh and this is great too, will use this as well. :)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Another big one is temptation - the underworld, particularly if you look to traditional rather than modern Greek depictions of the Elysian Fields - or draw on the likes of Valhalla - was a pretty loving nice place to be, if you had been a decent type in life. There should be a lot of temptation to stay and chill by the Elysian River forever or whatever.

Equally, the converse. Tempt them to abandon their mission to save $bad person that they like from an eternal peril if they're more inclined to be bad guys.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm certainly not a scholar on Greek History, but most people at a similar level of cultural osmosis know them at least partially for their statues. Maybe have a fight against golems all described as gorgeous, naked men.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey, a fan went ahead and made a G+ group for Strike! If you use G+, you should go join it:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/100531519769398036921

Ratpick posted:

One question about Titans though: I noticed that some of the monsters have a number in brackets after the attack symbol of some of their attacks (for an example, the dragon has a 3 in parenthesis after the melee attack symbol for their Claw attack). Does this mean that when using that type of attack the creature actually makes three attacks?
No, that's their reach. Monsters generally have their reach described in a trait, but I put a number on the melee attack itself as a reminder, especially if different attacks have different amounts of reach (claw vs. bite or whatever).

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I Have a question:

You're a level 10 Archer/Striker. You're using the "Exposed" houserule. Edit: You have the Melee Shooter feat.

You use Power Up Strike to add 15 damage to the attack. Using your move action, you use Sharpshooting Sniper to turn the next hit into a 6. You use Super Trick Arrow (Gas Arrow). You hit an exposed target who is adjacent to you.

How much damage does it do?

Edit: added a feat to make it more complex

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 3, 2016

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I Have a question:

You're a level 10 Archer/Striker. You're using the "Exposed" houserule. Edit: You have the Melee Shooter feat.

You use Power Up Strike to add 15 damage to the attack. Using your move action, you use Sharpshooting Sniper to turn the next hit into a 6. You use Super Trick Arrow (Gas Arrow). You hit an exposed target who is adjacent to you.

How much damage does it do?

Edit: added a feat to make it more complex

It should be 34. 4 base, x2 critical, add 6 from Damage Boost, add 1 from Melee Shooter, add 15 from Power Up Strike, add 4 from Exposed target. Or, if you like, 4 base, x3 from crit+exposure, then 6+15+1.

At least, critical is twice #D, and Exposure works like a critical, which means it doesn't multiple any added numbers beyond the base damage of the attack.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
If you're using the Exposed houserule, and you have an attack that ignores cover, is the target exposed? Like, if a level 4 Striker used Draw A Bead, or the Archer's "You Can't Hide"?

Edit: I love that you can have a party made entirely of archers. An archer(sentinel)/defender, an archer(sentinel)/blaster, an archer(blitzer)/leader, an archer(blitzer)/striker, an archer(blitzer)/striker, and an archer(sentinel or sniper)/controller would cause a tremendous amount of nonsense in a game using the exposure houserules.

Who wants to run a gun-game?

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 3, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If you're using the Exposed houserule, and you have an attack that ignores cover, is the target exposed? Like, if a level 4 Striker used Draw A Bead, or the Archer's "You Can't Hide"?

Off the top of my I'd say yes. You can expose something just as well by moving and those powers just save you having to move. But I'd reevaluate if they were ending up too strong.

An all-ranged game would be good with exposed. Dealing with melee was generally the worst part of that rule.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
new thread for the gold release:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758699

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I just got my physical copy. :3:

Great job, Jimbozig!