Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Trying posted:

next time just copy saturday night slam masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Trying posted:

next time just copy Crush Hour

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Looking forward to the Fight Forever episode of What Happened?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Just give MDickie the AEW SLOM and let him cook

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

super macho dude posted:

Honestly, yeah. Throw in whoever did the Action Arcade game for the sake of having an awesome CAW system.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

super macho dude posted:

:hmmyes: He's already proven what he can do with an engine that looks straight out of GoldenEye era Rare, give him Unreal 5 so my custom character can pick up floor bananas with ray tracing at 4k with my tag partner, Eddie Kingston.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Just do a new Fire Pro and put the AEW in it. And NJPW. Call it Fire Pro Forb.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kinda wonder what capcom would have done with it

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STING 64 posted:

Even more DLC? :v:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

STING 64 posted:

Darkstalkers costumes as ring attire, but still never releasing a new Darkstalkers game.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

STING 64 posted:

Slapped a whole bunch of DRM on it and made mods impossible.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Crapcom...

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Also they would have broken out the old Morrigan sprite and gotten another fifteen years out of it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Capcrap

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
But guys, is a Cage Match REALLY necessary?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

This is one of the reasons devs tend to gravitate toward catch-all engines like Unreal Engine 5 and customize them off the shelf as needed for whatever type of game you’re making — new people you hire for the project will at least have a baseline understanding of what they’re working with. Plus all the work of like, physics and visual stuff becomes way simpler as you use industry standard middleware.

That difficulty with custom development’s hard even before you factor in that FF uses the same extremely old codebase as its pre-AEW ancestors. Or that your options for experienced devs working on this kind of game are basically nonexistent beyond YUKES. Or that if its staff quits or retires or is laid off, YUKES itself could lose familiarity with their own tools.
I mean, Fight Forever does use Unreal Engine 4. I assume by the "game engine" stuff they mean Yukes' combat systems, gameplay code etc.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I have to assume one of those cut features was 'the ability to download CAWs' because without that the game was going to be dead on arrival no matter what.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I have to assume one of those cut features was 'the ability to download CAWs' because without that the game was going to be dead on arrival no matter what.

The CAWs would have to be customizable enough to be worth downloading for it to matter

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

190 variations of 'Jade Cargill but in camo pants'

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Don't gently caress around with stupid rear end minigames or a loving fortnite mode and just make a good wrestling game with wrestling game features even if they aren't on wwe level of creation poo poo

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

El Generico posted:

The CAWs would have to be customizable enough to be worth downloading for it to matter

Yeah... like I can't imagine anybody making someone that looks good with the AEW CAWs.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I've been playing a TEW2020 save and one of the most annoying things about it, besides the god-awful UI where it takes like 20 clicks to do literally anything, is the weird way events trigger. It feels like occasionally the game will pick a random event and trigger a poo poo-ton of it all at once rather than doing it organically?

Example: I advance forward a week and suddenly like 50 people have retired, next week every single couple on my roster gets divorced, another week everyone is getting pregnant, etc etc etc

I have no idea if it's the game itself or the database is hosed or what but it is very weird to watch happen.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Drakkel posted:

I've been playing a TEW2020 save and one of the most annoying things about it, besides the god-awful UI where it takes like 20 clicks to do literally anything, is the weird way events trigger. It feels like occasionally the game will pick a random event and trigger a poo poo-ton of it all at once rather than doing it organically?

Example: I advance forward a week and suddenly like 50 people have retired, next week every single couple on my roster gets divorced, another week everyone is getting pregnant, etc etc etc

I have no idea if it's the game itself or the database is hosed or what but it is very weird to watch happen.

That’s usually the game forcing a custom database into what it expects out of a DB. You see it a lot with real world mods that seek a certain kind of realism in representation which doesn’t line up with the game’s internal logic. Sort of like the way Ghandi was infamous for starting nuclear wars in old Civ games.

For example, TEW doesn’t understand that a lot of irl workers who got TV time in the 80’s / early 90’s never truly retire, so when you load a real world mod it goes “why are all these 70 year old guys still available for PPA / agent roles?” and starts retiring them by the cruise shipload. Likewise it’s very common to see massive influxes of AI-generated puro dojo graduates a few months into a RW game, because the modder either didn’t know or didn’t care to stock the supply of puro workers at the low end.

Any time you see a lot of weird stuff happening at once, the game is probably returning itself to a baseline in some way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basic Chunnel posted:

You see it a lot with real world mods that seek a certain kind of realism in representation which doesn’t line up with the game’s internal logic. Sort of like the way Ghandi was infamous for starting nuclear wars in old Civ games.

This is an urban legend, there was no aggression bug in Civ 1.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It definitely happened to me at least once in Civ 3 or 4 (it was a CG Ghandi), but the point is, number-driven procedural behavior only approaches accurate simulation by accident. They just as easily break.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Basic Chunnel posted:

It definitely happened to me at least once in Civ 3 or 4 (it was a CG Ghandi), but the point is, number-driven procedural behavior only approaches accurate simulation by accident. They just as easily break.

From my understanding they did deliberately make Ghandi nuke-happy in Civ 5 as a reference to the rumored glitch, but every game before that it was just pure coincidence because he'd always go for the science victory so he'd just happen to get nukes earlier in the game than other leaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

yeah per the entire Wikipedia article on Nuclear Gandhi I just read its a myth that A) doesn't actually match the way the game is coded (aggression doesn't roll under like that) and B. Doesn't fit the rules (in Civ 1 there are 3 classes of aggression and you can't change

That said, as mentioned Sid Meier put it in the later games as tribute and also likes the rumor because due to limitations at the time, Civ 1 was in fact "mostly taking place in your imagination" and if nuke Gandhi makes the largely random activities seem like a human will then hooray.