Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
I came from GBS to ask if someone can explain why moogs sound so great? I know nothing about music except keyboards from the 70's sound awesome, what happened? this is the music forum right? please don't ban me mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
moogs are an hero

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

It says moops

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
My favorite analog synth is the yamaha dx7 :guitar:

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Mixodorian posted:

My favorite analog synth is the yamaha dx7 :guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itvilXOw3ck

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Watch this, then get back to us:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moog_(film)

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

TOILETLORD posted:

I came from GBS to ask if someone can explain why moogs sound so great? I know nothing about music except keyboards from the 70's sound awesome, what happened? this is the music forum right? please don't ban me mods.

moog make a boop and a beep

good osc and filt yo creamy sweeps

e: btw, "boop" rhymes with "nope"

pfs Write fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 26, 2014

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
I guess I'll bite. I can't top the moops joke.

Bob Moog really is the grandaddy of synthesis. Don Buchla and Ray "The Singularity" Kurzweil also developed in the game, but Bob really started things with his modules and designs. Blah blah blah history lesson aside he has probably held the most consistent company with the Moog synthesizer. That is to say, the company never really vanished or developed a bad rep over the past 40 years. They have been putting out top quality USA-made synthesizers since around 1971.

Not only are the products some of the better built quality-wise, but the sound very celebrated. Mainly for its filter, however the whole thing really has a unique sound. Every synthesizer is designed to synthesize sound of course, and therefore you might say they sound similar - yet different. Every electric guitar has 6 strings, a neck, some pickups, etc.. yet the difference between a $4,000 Custom Les Paul and some cheap $150 Yamaha will be noticeable, especially to a guitar player who has played all his life. Especially when he's about to go into the studio to record.

As far as your "Keys in the 70's sounded great what haaapppened, mannnnn?" question... Obviously your romanticizing the era and playing style. Alot of new music is not only recorded with Moog synths, but actual equipment from the 1970's that is still around in the home of (hipster) musicians. And of course playing styles and such have drastically changed in the past 40 years, alot with production styles. And music in general.

HOWEVER I'm also willing to bet that if your referring to early-to-mid 1970's music, then what your probably hearing most of the time aren't even synthesizers at all, but organs and instruments like the Mellotron, which are not even synthesizers.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

The Cleaner posted:

I guess I'll bite. I can't top the moops joke.

Bob Moog really is the grandaddy of synthesis. Don Buchla and Ray "The Singularity" Kurzweil also developed in the game, but Bob really started things with his modules and designs. Blah blah blah history lesson aside he has probably held the most consistent company with the Moog synthesizer. That is to say, the company never really vanished or developed a bad rep over the past 40 years. They have been putting out top quality USA-made synthesizers since around 1971.

Not only are the products some of the better built quality-wise, but the sound very celebrated. Mainly for its filter, however the whole thing really has a unique sound. Every synthesizer is designed to synthesize sound of course, and therefore you might say they sound similar - yet different. Every electric guitar has 6 strings, a neck, some pickups, etc.. yet the difference between a $4,000 Custom Les Paul and some cheap $150 Yamaha will be noticeable, especially to a guitar player who has played all his life. Especially when he's about to go into the studio to record.

As far as your "Keys in the 70's sounded great what haaapppened, mannnnn?" question... Obviously your romanticizing the era and playing style. Alot of new music is not only recorded with Moog synths, but actual equipment from the 1970's that is still around in the home of (hipster) musicians. And of course playing styles and such have drastically changed in the past 40 years, alot with production styles. And music in general.

HOWEVER I'm also willing to bet that if your referring to early-to-mid 1970's music, then what your probably hearing most of the time aren't even synthesizers at all, but organs and instruments like the Mellotron, which are not even synthesizers.

completely forgot about this thread but i learned something.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I lived with my grandparents for a couple of years between the ages of 18 and 20. I was an avid electronic musician, basically a hobbyist who would play the occasional local show. Then I moved out.

I left two Moog synthesizers in my granddad's garage and a modified Casio. They were left there for three months.

My granddad threw out the Moogs and the modified Casio because he believed that two of the keyboards were old, and the other was broken.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

God Of Paradise posted:

I lived with my grandparents for a couple of years between the ages of 18 and 20. I was an avid electronic musician, basically a hobbyist who would play the occasional local show. Then I moved out.

I left two Moog synthesizers in my granddad's garage and a modified Casio. They were left there for three months.

My granddad threw out the Moogs and the modified Casio because he believed that two of the keyboards were old, and the other was broken.
I hope you threw out your granddad because he was old and broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

• Locked thread