Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
Hi goons, I've recently encountered annoying and seemingly arbitrary domains blocks by my ISP, and then a person from China tried to log into my gmail account. I suspect this might be because I like to surf on my mac in coffee shops, which is why I would like to get a VPN service of some sort since I heard that fixes this problem. I've used tor before but tor is big and bulky and has it's own browser which is inconvenient.
Anyhow, since it appears all VPN services require paying money to use upon a quick glance, I wanted to ask your advice on where I should spend my money. I don't mind using a free service either.
So which VPNs do fellow goons use and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
For various purposes I use StrongVPN. I believe it's something like $7 a month for the basic plan, which (In my case as a UK resident) gave me access to 3 servers in the US; New York, Los Angeles, San Diego. No drops after 8+ hours uptime.

If you check out their website (strongvpn.com) there's a chat window at the bottom with pretty helpful operators. They can advise you which service would be best for your needs.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
I use Astrill VPN. Very reliable and also let's you choose from hundreds of locations for both better speeds and the ability to choose other countries in case you are geo-blocked. They have a number of additional features like dedicated IPs for extra cost. Highly recommended- I've been using them for a few years.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Some home routers let you set up a VPN to your home work. If you don't need specific access to a region it might work for you so might be worth checking out.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Here is a goon run one that I use. Seems to uncap my speeds even sometimes, it allowed me to access my bank account during peak hours when Comcast wouldn't allow it for some reason.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519315

You can run it through a router, but I would run it on your computer or whatever supports it, as long as it's more than ~400mhz (Most routers are basically slow computers) and the performance suffers, unless you get into $200+ routers.

It may be the only way to get it working with some devices however.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Pretty much a top rated VPN:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

Preflashed routers:

http://www.flashrouters.com/routers/vpn-types/privateinternetacess?acc=45c48cce2e2d7fbdea1afc51c7c6ad26

http://www.sabaitechnology.com/page/website.Private-Internet-Access

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
I used Private Internet Access. Get max out bandwidth most of the time and pretty much the cheapest option I can find (buy the 1 year deal).

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I also use private internet access. They have end points all over the globe, and a few of them can even be configured to forward a port if you need to host a service/torrent. They also apparently don't keep logs if you want to do something horribly illegal, but I just use it to avoid my ISP's congested reverse proxies for YouTube, etc.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
what do you guys think about this? excellent price, the mac app works so far for me (trialing first).

https://stacksocial.com/sales/vpn-unlimited-premium-plan-3-years-of-hacker-protection-more

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Anything that's selling you as "3 Years Of Hacker Protection & More" is something I'd pretty much close the tab on. Just go with PIA or one of the other top rated VPN's in my opinion.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Yeah. Im out - somethibg fiahy about their whole operation.

quote:

Hello,
This is the way how it works, if you want to switch the server, a new certificate will be installed. This is the only way ho wit works.
--
Get the latest updates on Company’s news, events, price sales and discounts by singing up for our blog: https://blog.simplexsolutionsinc.com/

Feel free to contact me anytime you need my assistance,
Best regards
Karina Makii
Simplex Support Team

On 8/13/2014 8:51 PM, David wrote:
Hi. I am currently trialling the Mac version of your vpn software. Where can I find information about manually setting up vpn connections (my secret, usernames, etc.) so I can easily switch servers? If I choose a different server, it only installs a profile then removes the existing vpn connection. ideally i could have a few options available.

thank you.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
I use AirVPN. They have port forwarding with DDNS and all traffic types (including P2P), speed limit depends on server load so speeds are typically very fast (minimum speed of 4/4), has openvpn over ssh, and its run by hacktivists. If you can use OpenVPN on all the devices you plan to put behind the VPN then its pretty much the poo poo.

uG fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 15, 2014

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

pipebomb posted:

Yeah. Im out - somethibg fiahy about their whole operation.

They're using OpenVPN, which is an SSL VPN and uses certs. Sounds like each of their endpoints has a different ca/server cert, which is why you have to change it on your end.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?
Been a very happy customer of Private Internet Access. The network is fast, they support every protocol you would likely want, tons of endpoint around the globe, and pretty cheap at $40/year.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Someone from China didn't try to login to your Gmail account because you use your computer at a coffee shop. Using Gmail over a VPN isn't any more secure either.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

If you're OS X centric (and use iOS devices), I like Cloak a lot. I run it on my MBP, iPhone and iPad. The $5/mo. plan is pretty good for my usage.

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

uG posted:

I use AirVPN. They have port forwarding with DDNS and all traffic types (including P2P), speed limit depends on server load so speeds are typically very fast (minimum speed of 4/4), has openvpn over ssh, and its run by hacktivists. If you can use OpenVPN on all the devices you plan to put behind the VPN then its pretty much the poo poo.

I'm using AirVPN as well. They are awesome. I tried BolehVPN, Proxy.sh and PIA without any luck. AirVPN gives consistently good performance in my experience.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014
I like mullvad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've been using VyprVPN that comes with my grandfathered $25/month Giganews Diamon subscription. If you have need for a good Usenet provider + VPN $30/month is a pretty good deal.

• Locked thread