Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Welcome to the Warhammer 40k Tactics and Miniatures wargame tactics thread.
This thread is for Netlists, dirty tricks and Mathhammer to help you play better. Feel free to ask general how do I kill with plastic men, questions for Warhammer 40k players.Post here to tweak your list , get a killer strategy, or fight a specific foe.

We'll start off with some Mathammer charts, Mathammer is not a science it's just statistics it just gives you the knowledge that on average this will happen not "this will always be the result".

This is a great tool to use

http://www.fnordistan.com/smallroller.html

This is another great tool

http://www.ogmiosproject.org/articles/stattables.html

This is the D6 chart from the above website and easy to remember if you want to figure odds fast this is the chart to remember.

Statistical Odds for a D6

Here is a break down of your armour saves and your chances. I've also included a chart for Feel No Pain.

Feel no pain directly does not affect armour rating but instead affects the armours fail rating by reducing when that is successful which is why it has separate columns.

Statistical Numbers for 2d6

The highlighted numbers show the greater statistical odds that you will roll those numbers, as you can see 2 and 12 have the same odds. So does rolling any double on two dice for that matter

Leadership

This is what your leadership chart actually looks like, with the included Double 1s always passing a Morale and Double 6s always failing.

Statistical Odds for 3D6

Again greater statistical odds of rolling 8 through 13.

Shooting

Shooting calculations.

It also for the sake of completion includes up to BS 10. As the rules allow you above a certain ballistic skill.

To Hit Calculations , these are fairly straight forward. As you can simply take the number of dice you roll then subtract your miss percentage for that BS and will give you an idea of what you will miss. For example, BS 3 misses 50% of the time you'd expect just on average to roll 4+ twice on 4 dice. Once you get the hang of this formulae it's pretty easy actuall to figure odds when shooting.

Psychic Phase

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
  • Your Leadership chart seems to work on the premise that you need to beat your Ld to succeed, but IIRC you need to beat or match it so all your Success percentages should be higher.
  • For the 2D6 chart it says "1 and 12 have the same odds" instead of "2 and 12"
  • I'm not sure what "Reroll Failure" is on your Armour chart. It can't be (1-"Reroll") since 88% + 22% /= 100% (same with 55% and 32%). It doesn't also seem to be "Failure" squared. Also the Success percentages should be [83.3%, 66.6%, 50%, 33.3%, 16.7%].

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

AgentF posted:

• Your Leadership chart seems to work on the premise that you need to beat your Ld to succeed, but IIRC you need to beat or match it so all your Success percentages should be higher.
  • For the 2D6 chart it says "1 and 12 have the same odds" instead of "2 and 12"
  • I'm not sure what "Reroll Failure" is on your Armour chart. It can't be (1-"Reroll") since 88% + 22% /= 100% (same with 55% and 32%). It doesn't also seem to be "Failure" squared. Also the Success percentages should be [83.3%, 66.6%, 50%, 33.3%, 16.7%].

The leadership chart shows the failure percentage as well as what the odds are of succeeding its a equal to or less number.

I guess I can go through and explain it more or put in a chart similar to 3d6 but I wanted to simplify it.

The 1 and 2 was just a typo , 2 and 12 statistically have the same odds.

Reroll Failure rate is just what the failure rate is for what a rerolled armour save would be it correlates directly to what the failure rate is of a rerolled save. RR Failure w/ FNP is the complete failure for what a failed reroll armour save is with a failed Feel No Pain. I had considered taking it off but it's more there to show the actual odds of a 2+ rerollable and some different accuracy, I could make the chart simpler.

All fractions are rounded down not up. I stated that specifically as it's just easier to do.

I don't know where you are getting the other calculations.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 14, 2014

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I appreciate all of your effort for this thread, but I'm not sure if there is enough of a demand. There are literally entire other forums dedicated to this kind of stuff, and posting lists in the general 40k thread isn't wrong unless you're spamming multiple on the same page (merely because of the space it takes up.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Thank you I know I mostly made this thread to just keep adding more and more charts to it including psychic powers etc.. and I enjoy doing it. Plus, I'm stuck in a hospital right now for like the last 10 days so it's been mind occupying and helpful to me.

I'm just now getting into the really good stuff with percentages to hit etc.. then breaking down the whole Perils tests etc.. that stuffs pretty interesting to me.

The math's been interesting and I'll probably redo some charts to make it easier to read.

I actually think somehow I posted a old version of that armour chart and need to redo it as its off by 2% some how? for Armour values 3 and 4. Dunno how excel did that.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 14, 2014

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Hollismason, are you the same Hollismason that was in goonfleet with the bad teeth?

Can you make some graphs that plot the tradeoff between perils and chance of failure for summoning daemons by non-daemon armies? I like graphs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

drgnvale posted:

Hollismason, are you the same Hollismason that was in goonfleet with the bad teeth?

Can you make some graphs that plot the tradeoff between perils and chance of failure for summoning daemons by non-daemon armies? I like graphs.

Yes, I am , I got my teeth fixed.

I actually posted it in the 40k thread but can't find my chart right now. I'll look it up it may be a bit, I just got night meds.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/597338.page

Is a pretty comprehensive thread I wrote on Daemon Summoning.

The best Summoner in the game is actually a Crimson Slaughter Sorcerer w/ Spell familiar and prophet of the voices.

Trying to find this stupid perils chart.

Here it's not pretty

1) 0.500
2) 0.750
3) 0.875
4) 0.938
5) 0.969
6) 0.984
7) 0.992
8) 0.996
9) 0.998
10) 0.999

Looking for two 4s: (WC 2)

1) 0.000
2) 0.250
3) 0.500
4) 0.688
5) 0.813
6) 0.891
7) 0.938
8) 0.965
9) 0.980
10) 0.989

Looking for three 4s (WC 3)

1) 0.000
2) 0.000
3) 0.125
4) 0.313
5) 0.500
6) 0.656
7) 0.773
8) 0.855
9) 0.910
10) 0.945

And Chance to Peril

Number of dice rolled) Chance to peril with 2 or more 6s

1) 0.000
2) 0.028
3) 0.074
4) 0.132
5) 0.196
6) 0.263
7) 0.330
8) 0.395
9) 0.457
10) 0.515

And for Any Doubles

0% for 1 die (duh)
16.7% for 2 dice
44.4% for 3
72.2% for 4
90.7% for 5
98.5% for 6
100% for > 6

Hope that helps.

The best models at summoning that are not Daemons are

Crimson Slaughter Sorcerer w/ Spell Familiar Prophet of the Voices.
Eldar
Imperial Guards Brotherhood of Psycher Squads
Tigurius
I'm still working on this cool to hit percentage chart but I'll throw together a easy Perils chart and include some stuff on your chances to roll a spell depending on your psychic level as well as your percentage chance to gain Possession etc.. Then I'll go into explaining sunk cost fallacy and how mid range purchase over all is better. MATH!! As well as PPM or Point Per Damage.

This is is a cool list I call death and flesh since I got some cheap zombies it's like 2k but haven't got around to figuring it out.

It's basically as many Walkers I can fit in with Zombies and a Bodyguard for Typhus

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 14, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
As someone with dyscalculia this thread scares the poo poo out of me, also you guys broke my autismeter cheers...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh yeah this is my kind of thread sup Moola? :skeltal:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Oh yeah this is my kind of thread sup Moola? :skeltal:

Hey skull bro.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
How to win at 40k

Step 1: Roll more 6's than your opponent.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Well. Technically, table 1 or 2 is redundant. :downsrim:

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Broken Loose posted:

How to win at 40k

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Broken Loose posted:

How to win at 40k

Step 2: Spend more money than your opponent to have the currently overpowered unit!

Step 3: Always change armies to the current overpowered unit, never use an older army because they might not be able to use anti air guns!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This thread is weird and strange, I don't remember writing up any of these calculations and then I realized it was when I was having surgery and in the hospital on medication that makes me insane. Weird. I dunno how I even wrote that stuff up, I'm terrible with that stuff generally.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
So... you're not as insane now?

By the way, I'm glad you got the teeth all straightened out. I was sad when you disappeared from goonfleet as well.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I run a list with lots of Tyranid MCs and join them up with an Imperial Knight. It wins games.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

drgnvale posted:

So... you're not as insane now?

By the way, I'm glad you got the teeth all straightened out. I was sad when you disappeared from goonfleet as well.

Well there's my normal , I'm just kind of a off guy because I had a mood disorder and disassociation and then there's " The doctors are actively trying to murder me because they want my internal organs". I react very badly to high doses of steroids. Oh thanks , yeah that was actually a serious condition that I got cured and am glad I did.

As for tactics :

Slingshot is the one that people miss out on using the most. Basically using coherency and the new charge rules it's possible to "slingshot" slower on foot characters by joining them to fast moving squads. Now made even more so by the new movement rules.

So say you have a squad of Bikers but you want your Thunderhammer Deahtstick to get into combat.

Join him to the Bikes, then move them in such a way to make it so he is the last guy on the "conga line".

The big problem with this is you are suppose to move closest models first which means you can actually fail a charge doing this, but it was a effective method for many editions and still is a neat trick you can do.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 9, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Broken Loose posted:

How to win at 40k

Exmond posted:

Step 2: Spend more money than your opponent to have the currently overpowered unit!

Step 3: Always change armies to the current overpowered unit, never use an older army because they might not be able to use anti air guns!

Step 4: Whatever, I spent a lot of money on it already and I'm having fun, so what?

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

I appreciate all of your effort for this thread, but I'm not sure if there is enough of a demand. There are literally entire other forums dedicated to this kind of stuff, and posting lists in the general 40k thread isn't wrong unless you're spamming multiple on the same page (merely because of the space it takes up.)

Yeah this thread is way too narrow. All of this stuff can be done in the relevant threads, I don't see this lasting very long.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

This thread is weird and strange, I don't remember writing up any of these calculations and then I realized it was when I was having surgery and in the hospital on medication that makes me insane. Weird. I dunno how I even wrote that stuff up, I'm terrible with that stuff generally.

I kind of vaguely remember that period. You were constantly spamming the 40k thread about demons and trying to crunch tons of numbers no one cared about for some reason. You also had tons of spelling and grammar mistakes all over the place. Then you decided to make this thread. You probably don't want to go back and look at your post history from that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Well, I suppose if you're going to theorycraft about warhammer while on a dissociative break, an army based around summoning hordes of demons with your mind is at least topical.

• Locked thread