Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Gray Maynard should probably not stand and strike with people regardless of how good his chin is.

This is the real problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Gray Maynard: 3 Time Stand and Trade All American at Michigan State

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

manyak posted:

That doesnt look like evidence that Grays chin is gone imo, he walks into a gigantic right hand with his chin in the air and seems to be still with it, then drops his left hand again and eats another nasty right hand and hard followups before he goes down. more like bad defense. dont wade into the gap with your hand down and chin in the air

He keeps losing in this exact way. Against TJ Grant he came forward with his chin in the air and ate a huge right that hurt him but he was still in it, then more and more rights and knees to the head until he was out. Against Nate Diaz he came forward with his chin in the air, and Nate popped him with a check hook that turned off his brain and then punched him two million times. Nate doesn't have a lot of power but the specific strike that he used on Gray is basically the Diaz bros. money punch; Nick Diaz KOed Robbie Lawler by leaning back and catching him with a lead hook as he rushed in, and he finished Paul Daley and Scott Smith after hurting them with it. Nate battered Marcus Davis with it and I'm pretty sure he finished Gomi by hurting him with that same punch and forcing him to shoot straight into a submission while he was dazed.

It's like how Ryan Bader has 4 career losses and three of those came from rushing in with his hands down and chin in the air. It's hard to say if a guy has a soft chin when he keeps getting knocked out doing that, because almost anybody would get slaughtered regardless of chin.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

manyak posted:

and seems to be still with it

That's how the other Maynard TKO losses went. Like Maynard can take a punch pretty well since every TKO starts with him getting rocked once or twice, and still sort of being with it, before he finally falls down and then gets overwhelmed by strikes (in the Diaz stoppage he falls down after the fight, but he still made sure to fall down for completion's sake). Edgar was the only guy to make Gray's head touch the canvas.

So was anybody looking for Gray Maynard getting knocked out cause that's what this post is about. :D

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
Just now finding out what happened to Maynard and I'm surprised that I'm a little bummed out by this. I didn't root for him in either of the two Edgar championship fights, but he was still half of my favorite trilogy. I started to like him after Edgar KO'd him for some reason. He was so close.

Agent Tough Juice fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 17, 2014

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Bubba Smith posted:

So was anybody looking for Gray Maynard getting knocked out cause that's what this post is about. :D

You forgot the time he knocked himself out taking Robert Emerson down.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

EvanSchenck posted:

He keeps losing in this exact way. Against TJ Grant he came forward with his chin in the air and ate a huge right that hurt him but he was still in it, then more and more rights and knees to the head until he was out. Against Nate Diaz he came forward with his chin in the air, and Nate popped him with a check hook that turned off his brain and then punched him two million times. Nate doesn't have a lot of power but the specific strike that he used on Gray is basically the Diaz bros. money punch; Nick Diaz KOed Robbie Lawler by leaning back and catching him with a lead hook as he rushed in, and he finished Paul Daley and Scott Smith after hurting them with it. Nate battered Marcus Davis with it and I'm pretty sure he finished Gomi by hurting him with that same punch and forcing him to shoot straight into a submission while he was dazed.

It's like how Ryan Bader has 4 career losses and three of those came from rushing in with his hands down and chin in the air. It's hard to say if a guy has a soft chin when he keeps getting knocked out doing that, because almost anybody would get slaughtered regardless of chin.

yeah basically. If he had a genuinely bad chin he wouldve just been iced out cold by most of those punches. Probably more accurate to say he has bad defense and doesnt react well to being hit

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I forgot how much fun Edgar knocking out Maynard was. It was like some *FINISH HIM* type poo poo. Frankie just winging big rights at him like 3 or 4 times in a row while h was stunned and backing up, POW POW POW POW.

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?
Maynard has a really horrible striking style while also having a deteriorating chin. He kept his hands all the way down and kept wildly darting in with his chin in the air. It reminded me of King Mo against Feijao. In retrospect the first rounds of both Edgar fights really ruined him. He's been way too willing to stand and trade with people and not make it the ugly grinding wrestling match he's good at.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
there were fights?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
also i dont think its cool the forum outed me for spending money on platinum

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

world b lee posted:

Maynard has a really horrible striking style while also having a deteriorating chin. He kept his hands all the way down and kept wildly darting in with his chin in the air. It reminded me of King Mo against Feijao. In retrospect the first rounds of both Edgar fights really ruined him. He's been way too willing to stand and trade with people and not make it the ugly grinding wrestling match he's good at.

I don't think Maynard has a horrible chin, he is just the lightweight version of Badder, except he doesn't go for takedowns...

A wrestler with bad striking and striking defense, who thinks he can stand with anyone in the division.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
wrong topic

Lord Waffle Beard fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 17, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I actually think Maynard's offensive striking is pretty decent, particularly considering he obviously has some power. His defense starts bad and gets worse, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

• Locked thread