Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh poo poo, a 3800 (my favorite engine of all time) into a GTI. How the hell have I missed this thread?

Really excited to see that it's almost registered and sorted. The PO's wiring, though :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It comes in the toolkit, but it's made out of plastic on a lot of the cars and frequently goes walkabout.

Also it turns into glass in cold temperatures. My mate bumped one getting his wheel back on and it shattered into six pieces.

Get one from reverselogic, they're nice.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
So, wheel bolt discussion aside ...

I installed quickstruts on the front of the GTI, seemed to take care of most of the play in the suspension. I installed one side with the (new) factory spring, that was a mistake. Without the weight of the engine there was a massive wheel gap and it was hard as a rock. I figured it might not be too bad with a full tank of gas up front but I was wrong.

Anyway, I took that side back off and switched the lowering springs onto the new strut assemblies. Parts were falling off the old struts as I was removing them, on one side all the ball bearings from the strut bearing scattered about. Everything suspension wise was original (aside the lowering springs)

Got it all done and back together and went for a little shakedown drive to get some lunch. The engine felt great, I had reflashed some timing changes since the last time I drove it and it definitely feels peppier. However, I was forced to turn around as the car has now developed the worst brake squealing I have ever heard in my life. I was too embarrassed to drive any further. People were looking. It was terrible.

I drove it after I did the brakes (all 4 corners) and it was fine before :iiam:. I'll have to rip the wheels off and see what the hell is going on. No obvious signs on the rotors of anything scrubbing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Have you done the big control arm bushings yet? They wear out fast and TT bushings are a direct replacement and make a huge difference. The smaller bushing in the front usually doesnt go bad.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Did you use brake grease on the back of the pads? Last time I skipped that on a brake job it was just like what you are describing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

Did you use brake grease on the back of the pads? Last time I skipped that on a brake job it was just like what you are describing.

no no no you're supposed to put it on the front of the pads so they dont squeal against the rotor

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Maybe you got a pebble stuck in there or something? I was test driving a car on Friday and ran through a little patch of gravel and the car was all SQQUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE super loving loud for about 3 minutes and then went away. I nearly poo poo my pants but I didn't see anything at all when I brought it back to the shop.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fucknag posted:

no no no you're supposed to put it on the front of the pads so they dont squeal against the rotor

I tried this once and the brakes were super quiet and then I almost died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I know my vag cars and that is the sound of all of your wheel bearings coincidentally failing shortly after you had everything apart under there

• Locked thread