Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Frank

Frank starts counting off on his fingers.

So thirty plus cultists (he closes one finger) and one geist (he closes another). And that geist just wants to kill. Does the lunatic have any special tricks or it just uses the human as a puppet. Because I don't really want to get close to someone he turns into a methhead after a kilo of ice, or turn into edward scissorhands or something.

gently caress cultists on principle tho. One thought, how about the place just happens to burn to the ground, unsafe storage of flammables in residential area, etc and you have a word to your friends in high places. That be enough to move them on to being someone elses problem, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

BCR posted:

Frank

Frank starts counting off on his fingers.

So thirty plus cultists (he closes one finger) and one geist (he closes another). And that geist just wants to kill. Does the lunatic have any special tricks or it just uses the human as a puppet. Because I don't really want to get close to someone he turns into a methhead after a kilo of ice, or turn into edward scissorhands or something.

Smoke speaks up. "I'll answer this one. The Lunatic acts slightly differently depending on the skills of its current host, but it has a rough MO for its kills. It likes to stalk its victims at night. Sticks to the shadows. Plays it safe when it hunts. But when it strikes, there's nothing quiet or nuanced."

Smoke sighs.

"Maybe it'd help if I described what happened last time it showed up in Canberra. Its host at the time was a skinny young man, maybe in his early twenties. Not too threatening to look at. Its final kill - before we were rather publicly alerted to its presence and tracked it down and destroyed it - was in the mouth of an alley that opens onto Civic mall. No idea how long it hid there, but it attacked a drunk was taking a piss on the alley wall. Waited until the guy had finished up, then leapt from the shadows. When it had pinned the drunk, it lost all sense of self control. Caved the poor schmuck's head in with a rock, laughing at the top of its voice."

"Now, until that point you'd be forgiven for thinking that this is your run-of-the-mill serial killer nutter. A couple of good samaritans thought so, and came running to pull the scrawny kid off his prey. About five metres away they started bleeding. From everywhere. Eyes, ears, nose, mouth. One of them died on the spot. The other didn't, and told his story to the cops when he woke up in the hospital a few days later. They probably would have ignored it if not for the fact that he'd been admitted unconscious, drenched in about three litres of his own blood, with no visible wounds, and they had a dead body showing the same thing. Some cops talked to the press, the press reported enough of the details to tip us off, and we knew the Lunatic was in town."

"Anyhow. To business. We've seen it use the Shroud and Caul manifestations, so it'll armour up if you get it in a fight. It uses the Rage manifestation too, so be on guard for those attacks. The keys used for those manifestations vary between the people it's bound to, but the Stigmata key seems to run common amongst them all. So expect blood."

quote:

gently caress cultists on principle tho. One thought, how about the place just happens to burn to the ground, unsafe storage of flammables in residential area, etc and you have a word to your friends in high places. That be enough to move them on to being someone elses problem, right?

Jim smiles. "Arson seems to be a popular solution for you. It could work, and if nothing else it would turn their attention away from disrupting my festivals while they rebuild. In any case, I imagine if you take out their leader they won't remain cohesive for long. If it turns out he ordered the attack, feel free to dispose of him."

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Woodstock

Woodstock thinks for a moment.

"Pyre flame sounds interesting. Kind of Promethean. Righteous. Yeah, let's go with that."

"Yeah. Promethean." The Archivist perks up. "Hey, have you seen Prometheus? Wow, what a movie. Did you know that it's actually about the horror of human sexuality as viewed through the lens of a horror movie about aliens?" He nods sagely to no one in particular. "Very symbolic. Makes you think."

"The knife", Smoke reminds him.

"Oh, yeah. Pyre-Flame it is." The Archivist closes his eyes, holding the knife in his hands. Small tendrils of plasm stretch out from his fingertips, surrounding the knife. After a few moments the plasm stream slows, then stops. The Archivist hands the knife back to Woodstock.

"One Pyre-Flame charm. Nice find."

While Woodstock has the knife in his possession, all manifestations used with the Pyre-Flame key will gain an additional die.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia frowns before speaking

"You mentioned something about vampires?" he prompts.

"You can fill me in on that aspect as we drive, I think."

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

tithin posted:

Rabia frowns before speaking

"You mentioned something about vampires?" he prompts.

"You can fill me in on that aspect as we drive, I think."

Jim pauses before responding. "I won't be coming with you. Smoke may be able to assist if you wish for her to join you, but I have other matters to attend to. I can provide you with more detail on the politics of the vampires in this town upon your return."

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Niles

Niles didn't really miss having a body. He had never really been athletic, or even good looking.

He did however miss being able to speak his mind. For the past dozen years he had only really one person to speak with, and Rabia wasn't really the talking type.

Rabia, I don't like this? Why are we playing errand boys for these people? What have they offered in exchange for us destroying a deranged geist and a gaggle of weird Christians?

Niles kept on going knowing that Rabia would take a while to reply, if at all.

Look I didn't become your personal Jiminy Cricket so you could you could play FBI and Branch Davidians with your new friends. If we are going to do this job for these nice folk, I want something in return. Something that will lead us closer to our killer.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia

"My .. geist makes a fair point. We're here for a reason, and that reason is revenge. "

Rabia frowns to himself more than anything

"He's refusing to help unless you're willing to offer something in return that'll point us in the direction of the vampires who killed us the first time around"

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Jim Royal

Jim raises an eyebrow. "You can communicate with your geist? That shows an impressive level of synergy between the two of you."

" In any case, you have a point - we haven't discussed compensation. You are sufficiently capable that you won't need direct assistance from a member of the Royals. Instead of going with you, I could direct Smoke to personally look into the vampire that killed you and your former partners. I will also put the entire efforts of the Canberra Royals towards finding information through our various networks while you see to the cultists. And finally, we will provide someone to aid you in the hunt and fight with your target. Is this acceptable?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia's eyes flick to Niles, gauging his response.

"Only speaking for myself at present but yes, that's fine by me. Thank you."

• Locked thread