Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Valeyard posted:

can we get an update to swing please lol

it's called javaFX

third times the charm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

rotor posted:

I was tasked with adminning a lab full of javastations when I was in grad school. not a lot, around 30 of them. I was there for two full semesters and I never saw a single one of them finish booting successfully.

sounds like you did a good job as admin

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Beeftweeter posted:

"I think it was something that a blind man would have designed," said Aberdeen Group analyst Tom Dwyer of the cancellation of JavaOS for Business.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-230175.html

Sun positioned the cancellation of the program as a victory for thin client computing. "Our model prevailed," said Lisa Carnochan. product line manager for client software and network computer systems at Sun. "The Internet itself has made so much software available that already fit our model, we didn't have to invest specifically in an operating system to do it," although the JavaOS effort was in fact a specific investment in an operating system.

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013

this guy made a better os in 10 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYyTlsqJork

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Java is good because you can compile your code once and run it anywhere

very sad they still haven't added the ?. operator (x?.foo => x == null ? null : x.foo) because that would be convenient.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Soricidus posted:

very sad they still haven't added the ?. operator (x?.foo => x == null ? null : x.foo) because that would be convenient.

I don't understand what any of that means.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Soricidus posted:

aside from the weird ?. thing ternary operators are gross

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ternary operators own

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
how many critical security bugs are part of the new java 9 features announced release by larry ellison sun oracle industries big cock gently caress ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rotor posted:

I was tasked with adminning a lab full of javastations when I was in grad school. not a lot, around 30 of them. I was there for two full semesters and I never saw a single one of them finish booting successfully.

so sad

they were essentially just SPARCstations and could've run a pro OS like SunOS but nooooo

• Locked thread