Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Yeah. But that was to atop him coming and making a lot of noise wasn't it? I can search again if I use a food, but that's a one off card noise anyway. Would you guys consider a 4th noise and one food from the colony to be worth the chance of a medicine.

Because the one I just drew isn't joining the crisis.

If I search and fail, it does thin the hospital deck for others to search though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Fat Turkey posted:

Yeah. But that was to atop him coming and making a lot of noise wasn't it? I can search again if I use a food, but that's a one off card noise anyway. Would you guys consider a 4th noise and one food from the colony to be worth the chance of a medicine.

Maybe you should have Rod come back to the Colony and clean waste twice. I can have Mike search the Grocery Store and make noise until he finds a Medicine, then bug out to the Hospital and help defend it. The only problem with this idea is that it probably throws GTR under the bus since it exposes him to getting his cards stolen.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I've nothing against this plan if we feel my two dice are better used clearing the waste. It will mean we can't use the extra food card, unless someone else has another one to contribute.

Will wait to hear from others though.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Servoret posted:

Yep. I'll move her out to the Grocery Store on my turn.

Nope. The whole point is to not leave spaces for WhiteHowler's characters to move into.

Just remember we need the waste cleared x2 to prevent more morale loss.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I have some food. :cool:

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I have the two spare dice needed to clear the waste if I move Rod there. But then there would be no medicine search. Any detractors?

WH, all is forgiven, give me the foooood!

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
OK, continue with the plan. Rod will go to the colony and use the final two dice to clear waste. Turn over.

Godspeed!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Servoret posted:

Maybe you should have Rod come back to the Colony and clean waste twice. I can have Mike search the Grocery Store and make noise until he finds a Medicine, then bug out to the Hospital and help defend it. The only problem with this idea is that it probably throws GTR under the bus since it exposes him to getting his cards stolen.

My cards can't be stolen. But it will mean Edward dies. And you know, we lose morale. If the option is between saving me and clearing waste, you know, its a little insulting to choose garbage.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Morale: 4
Rounds: 1
Food: 5
Starvation: 2
Waste Pile: 9
Crisis Cards: 2

Players

Servoret

Bev Russell - Mother 34 2 4 Colony: Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at the colony as long as there is at least 1 helpless survivor token at the colony. Do not roll for exposure.
Mike Cho - Ninja 30 2 4 Anywhere: When performing an attack with Mike do not roll for exposure.
Cards: 1
Dice: 6 3 2

WhiteHowler

Daniel Smith - Sheriff 66 2 5 Anywhere: (4+) Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at Daniel's current location. Only roll for exposure once. Wound x1
Gray Beard - Pirate 16 1 4 Colony: Once per round you may take a card at random from another player's hand and place it into your hand. Wound x1
Equipped: School Blueprints: Once per round, when performing a search at the school with this survivor you may look at and keep 1 additional card.
Cards: 7
Dice: 6 6 2

Some Numbers

Thomas Heart - Soldier 64 1 3 Colony: (5+) Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at the colony. Do not roll for exposure. Wound x1
Equipped: Tikka T3 Tactical Rifle Once per round you may kill 1 zombie at any location. Do not roll for exposure. This is not an attack. It does not cost you an action die.
Equipped: Night Vision Goggles At the beginning of each round roll 1 additional action die.
Carla Thompson - Police Dispatcher 22 4 2 Police Station: Once per round when performing a search at the police station you may look at and keep 1 additional card.
Equipped: Tikka T3 Tactical Rifle Once per round you may kill 1 zombie at any location. Do not roll for exposure. This is not an attack. It does not cost you an action die.
Cards: 2
Dice: 2 1 4 5

Gravy Train Robber

Olivia Brown - Doctor 56 4 3 Anywhere: Once per round you may remove any type of wound token from a survivor that shares a location with Olivia. Olivia may use this ability on herself.
Edward White - Chemist 44 4 3 Colony: Once per round, when performing an attack with Edward, you may play a medicine card to kill 3 zombies instead of just 1. Do not roll for exposure. Do not use the ability on the medicine card.
Ashley Ross - Construction Worker 52 2 5 Anywhere: Once per round you may perform a barricade action without using an action die.
Equipped: Wrench: Once per round you may spend an action die to attack with this survivor. That die does not need to meet or exceed this survivor's attack value.
Cards: 4
Dice: 1 1 4 3

Fat Turkey

David Garcia - Accountant 50 4 3 Anywhere: When performing a search with David you may look at 1 additional card.
Rod Miller - Truck Driver 40 3 3 Anywhere: When moving Rod, do not roll for exposure.
Equipped: Colt 1911 Pistol: Once per round, when this survivor performs an attack do not roll for exposure.
Cards: 6
Dice: 2 1 4

Action queue: Servoret's turn

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Mike (6) searches the Grocery Store. Make noise until I find a Medicine card.

I wish this had occurred to me before, but... Fat Turkey, you know that there are cards with the medicine symbol that aren't actually Medicine cards, right? Like, if you had found an Adrenaline Shot on your last search, we could have used that for the crisis.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I'm hoping that's been obvious by the fact that when I send cards, I include their type as text, e.g. 'Adrenalin Shot Hospital Medicine....'

Mike is in luck! No noise made, card sent.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

The update for my turn shows David still in the School, but he moved to the Hospital on Fat Turkey's turn.

Requesting a fuel.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Thanks, I'll make sure that's changed for the next update.

Some Numbers has preloaded to give Servoret a card:

Fuel Hospital Fuel Waste Pile: Play this card when moving a survivor you control. Do not roll for exposure for that move.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I found a medicine card. But it wasn't going to go in the crisis. I did offer to keep searching for medicine, but I'm a bit happier having cleared the waste with my trash hand now.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Using the Fuel, Mike travels to the Hospital.
Mike (3) kung-fus a zombie at the Hospital.
Bev (2) clears waste at the Colony.
Play 2 cards into the crisis.

Hopefully, no one screwed with the crisis pile out of spite this turn.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Mike moves to the hospital, and takes out a zombie on arrival

Bev clears waste at the colony

Servoret plays 2 cards into the crisis

quote:

The mass of undead have blocked out what little light remains outside the grocery store, plunging the interior into an early darkness. The barricades creak and groan as malformed limbs and bodies claw and press against them. Edward's heart sinks as he takes stock of the situation. No weapons, no back entrances - the grocery store has been thoroughly sacked, and precious little remains for making any kind of last stand. Mike left earlier to try and assist others at the hospital, and now Edward is on his own.

This might be the time to admit you can't go it alone, Edward. He grabs the radio, and calls into the colony.

"Guys, I need some help out here. A distraction would probably be enough, if you can clear the entrance I should be able to slip through and get back to the colony".

Silence.

What feels like an age passes, before the radio crackles into life. Bev's voice.

"Uh, hey Edward. I'd love to come help but um.. I gotta do the dishes". Edward swears he can hear someone else on the line. Rod!

"Oh yeah sorry man, me too. Someone's gotta dry".

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Morale: 4
Rounds: 1
Food: 5
Waste Pile: 7
Crisis Cards: 4

Players

WhiteHowler

Daniel Smith - Sheriff 66 2 5 Anywhere: (4+) Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at Daniel's current location. Only roll for exposure once. Wound x1
Gray Beard - Pirate 16 1 4 Colony: Once per round you may take a card at random from another player's hand and place it into your hand. Wound x1
Equipped: School Blueprints: Once per round, when performing a search at the school with this survivor you may look at and keep 1 additional card.
Cards: 7
Dice: 6 6 2

Some Numbers

Thomas Heart - Soldier 64 1 3 Colony: (5+) Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at the colony. Do not roll for exposure. Wound x1
Equipped: Night Vision Goggles At the beginning of each round roll 1 additional action die.
Carla Thompson - Police Dispatcher 22 4 2 Police Station: Once per round when performing a search at the police station you may look at and keep 1 additional card.
Cards: 2
Dice: 2 1 4 5

Gravy Train Robber

Olivia Brown - Doctor 56 4 3 Anywhere: Once per round you may remove any type of wound token from a survivor that shares a location with Olivia. Olivia may use this ability on herself.
Edward White - Chemist 44 4 3 Colony: Once per round, when performing an attack with Edward, you may play a medicine card to kill 3 zombies instead of just 1. Do not roll for exposure. Do not use the ability on the medicine card.
Ashley Ross - Construction Worker 52 2 5 Anywhere: Once per round you may perform a barricade action without using an action die.
Equipped: Wrench: Once per round you may spend an action die to attack with this survivor. That die does not need to meet or exceed this survivor's attack value.
Cards: 4
Dice: 1 1 4 3

Fat Turkey

David Garcia - Accountant 50 4 3 Anywhere: When performing a search with David you may look at 1 additional card.
Rod Miller - Truck Driver 40 3 3 Anywhere: When moving Rod, do not roll for exposure.
Equipped: Colt 1911 Pistol: Once per round, when this survivor performs an attack do not roll for exposure.
Cards: 6
Dice: 2 1 4

Servoret

Bev Russell - Mother 34 2 4 Colony: Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at the colony as long as there is at least 1 helpless survivor token at the colony. Do not roll for exposure.
Mike Cho - Ninja 30 2 4 Anywhere: When performing an attack with Mike do not roll for exposure.
Cards: 0
Dice: 6 3 2

Action queue: WhiteHowler's turn, the last turn!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

gently caress

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My replacement goal is unattainable, and even the previous one was going to be very close (but I think I could have done it if I hadn't been exiled).

Daniel (6) search at Police Station
Daniel (6) search at Police Station

No noise necessary, just searching out of curiosity.

Don't really care to use the 2. Can I just pass it?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Daniel searches the police station twice. Cards sent.

Yes, you don't have to use all of your action dice so you can pass if you wish.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

I'm gonna assume that WH is happy to pass on his last action given the question.

quote:

Two weeks have passed since I last wrote in this journal. It seemed much more pressing when I thought they might be the last words I'd ever write, the final chronicle of our ill-fated colony, but things have turned around and my time is better spent helping the others to rebuild.

Carla and Thomas have been continuing to run scouting missions most days and have managed to clear out enough of the dead that we've been able to secure a steady supply of food. I could be imagining things, but it feels as if their numbers are reducing day by day. Where once it seemed like the horde was unending, that there would always be another to take the place of any fallen, now it feels as if we're actually making headway. A lot of that is down to Bev, who was almost single-handedly responsible for the massacre at the east gate two weeks ago. That's a woman I have no intention of crossing.

Rod and David seem to be keeping mostly to themselves, but that's alright. They seem like the type of guys who'll always survive in this kinda situation, but they chip in when help is truly needed. I saw Rod out helping Ashley reinforce the barricades the other day. We begrudgingly let her into the colony the other day as well. A few of the others weren't keen, but I guess she's proven her worth by this point.

I'm not sure about Edward. I haven't seen him in days, and I never really trusted him to begin with. I'm gonna end this here, cos there's some strange noises coming from his room and I'd better find out what's going on...

Final colony phase

The colony eats!

Thanks to Bev and Rod's concerted efforts, no morale is lost due to waste!

Not enough barricades have been built to satisfy the crossroads card. Morale decreases by 1

The crisis is resolved: Pass!

Zombies are added, but nobody (even Edward) is eaten so I can't be bothered adding them.

Final colony statistics:

Morale: 3
Rounds: 0
Food: 0
Waste Pile: 7

All players have achieved their objective, except for WhiteHowler who got pretty screwed on the exile card.

Final objectives:

Some Numbers

Justice

You win the game if all of the following is true:

1. The main objective has been completed
2. If there is a betrayer, they have been exiled.

Fat Turkey

Desire To Live

2. You have at least 1 weapon, 1 food, 1 fuel and 1 medicine card in your hand (Fuel, Food, Colt 1911, Adrenaline Shot)

Servoret

Germ-A-Phobe

2. None of the survivors you control have any type of wound tokens on them.

Gravy Train Robber

Zombie Killing Robot!

2. You have at least 1 weapon and 2 tool cards in your hand. (Switchblade, Junk, Snow Shoes)

Optional: Name your Zombie Killing Robot! (this is verbatim from the card)

WhiteHowler

Gluttony *BETRAYER*

1. Morale is at 0.
2. You have at least 6 food cards in your hand (starter item cards do not count)

Exile card: Your first objective is replaced with: At least 4 survivors must have been removed from the game.

Action queue: GTR to supply a picture of a snowshoe wearing robot wielding a switchblade.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Mostly amused by the fact Edward resembled Kreiger I had planned to dramatically reveal at the end I had been hoarding supplies in order to build a waifu.

Sadly I'm not artistic enough to do justice to the reality of a snowshoe wearing, switchblade wielding, pile of junk. :smith:

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Good game all, and massive thanks to Kerro for running it. The updates and graphics were good, and the layout was excellent.

Wow our betrayer got screwed for objective. Having to find 6 food considering that main objective...well done for giving it a go though.

Well I guess many of us had our thoughts in the main game thread. The theme is very good, but the objectives could have been better balanced. Maybe, like the starting characters, you would draw two and pick one.

I felt my objective was kinda tough, as I had to find more items and they were in different places, but in the end it wasn't necessarily that bad. And noone even got bitten.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Kerro posted:

Some Numbers

Justice

2. If there is a betrayer, they have been exiled.

Wow, that's kind of not even fair.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Yeah I very seriously considered chucking that objective and drawing a new one as it does seem really difficult, especially in a game like this where WhiteHowler by necessity had to stay under the radar for a long time to try and collect food - which was also a pretty horrible objective to try and achieve given the game's setup.

I think this is probably the main balance problem I've encountered, is that by having multiple main objectives combined with multiple player objectives it's possible to get some combinations that just suck. All the same, all players did end up coming close to or only fairly narrowly completed their objectives so I don't think the balance was too far off.

The more we play though the more I like some of the main objectives better than others. Raiding party in particular sucks rear end (empty the search decks at two locations).

Thanks for playing everyone. I had fun running it, and particularly enjoyed the Krieger-updates :)

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I'm not sure what to make of that one. There's about 50% chance you don't even have to do anything, and the rest of the time imagine the betrayer would out himself anyway by his actions. That said it does make you that little bit more exile happy when the vote comes.

That would be a nightmare objective against the people who try to get everyone else but themselves to lose.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Yeah, I didn't want to soft-reveal on turn 4, but there was no other way to get even remotely close to my food goal without just continuing to search and make noise.

I guess in a less food-centric setup I could have asked for food cards under the guise of... hell, I don't even know... but it would have been instantly suspicious in this game.

Honestly, I don't feel like I had very many decisions to make. Getting six food cards required me to do almost nothing but search. I hadn't even started working on Morale yet, figuring I could probably tank the last crisis and use enough food on dice to trigger starvation.

I mentioned it in the main thread, but I really dislike the way Exile works, as compared to how Battlestar Galactica handles "outed" traitors. In BSG, they get a whole new set of cool new things to do, and the game completely changes -- not for better or worse, just different. In DoW, it just takes away options. Also, having your objective card randomly change is hot bullshit. It might as well be "roll the die to see if you even remotely have a chance to win" unless you get exiled right at the beginning.

Anyway, I hope everyone had fun. I really appreciate Kerro running the session, and even if it wasn't quite my favorite game, I'm happy I got to experience it. Thanks to everyone who played.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
You couldn't have had people give you food, as anything given is immediately used. That's the issue I had when I initially asked for a weapon, then had it confirmed this wouldn't fulfill my objective.

Which is another limiting mechanic the game has which I don't really like, as it means you just spend all your turns and dice searching, like you say. Theme wise it doesn't fit that your stashed goods can't be offered by others, and although you could argue its about having my secret stash, there's nothing secret about my constant searching in the police station.

6 Food though. That's nasty.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I basically just played the game as a co-op. After the first couple of rounds I expected that we didn't have a Betrayer and I just needed to win. Once Whitehowler got on my radar and I knew that there was no downside to exiling him, I just went for it to ensure my win.

I got pretty lucky.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Its kind of eye-rolling, but I just realized the game has a pirate, a ninja, a goal to create a robot, and is full of zombies. I feel like I've fallen back in time a decade to when that was the height of internet comedy. There does seem to be a bit of a weird tone thing going on with the game- the art and theme make it seem pretty bleak and Walking Dead-ish, but some cards and objectives are just bizarre.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Its kind of eye-rolling, but I just realized the game has a pirate, a ninja, a goal to create a robot, and is full of zombies. I feel like I've fallen back in time a decade to when that was the height of internet comedy. There does seem to be a bit of a weird tone thing going on with the game- the art and theme make it seem pretty bleak and Walking Dead-ish, but some cards and objectives are just bizarre.

The SU&SD review says they think the designers saw that coming (Like when your dude in Tale of the Arabian Nights has a camel race on the ocean or whatever) so they just said "The dog can equip a gun, there's a ninja, we know this poo poo would get silly so we put a little silly in there to preempt it."

Kind of like how there's a Santa and everything gets happier if he just kills himself.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I mentioned it in the main thread, but I really dislike the way Exile works, as compared to how Battlestar Galactica handles "outed" traitors. In BSG, they get a whole new set of cool new things to do, and the game completely changes -- not for better or worse, just different. In DoW, it just takes away options. Also, having your objective card randomly change is hot bullshit. It might as well be "roll the die to see if you even remotely have a chance to win" unless you get exiled right at the beginning.

I think the idea is that all the new exiled objectives replace the traitor having to tank morale, theoretically making it balanced by giving them something to do that will be easier to accomplish after being cast out of the group. In my last game IRL, I was in a similar position to you at the end of the game, only worse. Instead of having the last turn of the last round, I was forced to soft reveal on the last turn the round before, and then take the first turn of the last round. So I ate all the colonists' food and made it impossible for them to win, but at the price of being exiled without even a turn to try to accomplish my new objective. Not a very satisfying way for the game to end for any of us.

Anyway, GG all. Thanks for running it, Kerro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ThaShaneTrain posted:

The SU&SD review says they think the designers saw that coming (Like when your dude in Tale of the Arabian Nights has a camel race on the ocean or whatever) so they just said "The dog can equip a gun, there's a ninja, we know this poo poo would get silly so we put a little silly in there to preempt it."

Kind of like how there's a Santa and everything gets happier if he just kills himself.

They also predicate this by talking about how, since Crossroads cards are triggered by appropriately thematic events, the designers managed to avoid the mechanical absurdity moments of all other experience generators. Dead of Winter would then, of course, immediately throw that out the window by putting Stunt Dog into the game.

• Locked thread