Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
in general this show has been okay but wow that was boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
poop=nopoop

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dadwdfgf33dfgf vv

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
i read a book recently that said sherlock holmes comes off as gay because he was based on oscar wilde, basically tumblr was right

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

A Pinball Wizard posted:

i read a book recently that said sherlock holmes comes off as gay because he was based on oscar wilde, basically tumblr was right

I thought he was just a dupin ripoff

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i wish your posting would equal not posting

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

lmbo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
did they ever do P=np on NUMB4RS?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Symbolic Butt posted:

I thought he was just a dupin ripoff

yeah but dupin was gay too

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Pinball Wizard posted:

yeah but dupin was gay too

just because his name was "m. auguste" doesn't mean he's gay

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

prefect posted:

just because his name was "m. auguste" doesn't mean he's gay

if you know how 19th century people described gays its actually p. obvious in both cases

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

:thurman:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

in general this show has been okay but wow that was boring

zerocool is a better sherlock than khan but the cbs show suffers from the mandatory american procedural structure

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
someone break p=np in a explain like I'm a retard idiot poster

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

echinopsis posted:

a p problem is a problem easily solved* by an algorithm

an np problem is a problem that evidently cannot be easily solved by an algorithm

as an example, brute forcing a cipher takes a long time and is an np problem. after generating a likely key you need to use the key to decode the document. without any other clues, one key is as good a guess as any other, but each bit n of key length represents 2^n bits of keys that need to be checked.

actually decoding a document is a p problem. you apply the correct key and the encrypted document becomes cleartext.

if p=np, there exists some currently unknown aglorithm that lets you solve np problems quickly. since this would destroy the global economy it's probably a good thing p!=np

e:
* by easily solved or quickly solved i mean solved in polynomial time

angry_keebler fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 21, 2014

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

echinopsis posted:

P stands for polynomial time and NP stands for nondeterministic polynomial time

(that doesn't help you understand what's it about, I just want to feel like I'm better than simon singh here) (also I'm breaking all the posting = not posting jokes itt)

problems in P are relatively easy to solve (I'll call easy = polynomial just to sound a little less abstract)

nobody was able to show an easy way to solve a sudoku, it's the kind of problem that can easily blow up

but it's a special problem because if I[1] give you all the answers[2] (I mean, I tell you all the red numbers) it's easy to verify if those answers solve the sudoku or not. this is basically what it means for a problem to be in NP: if I give you all the answers it's easy to prove that my answers are correct

I guess it's intuitive to see that if it's easy to find a solution yourself then it'll be at least equally as easy to verify if a solution I give you is correct

the other way around is a loving mystery and nobody knows

[1] here I'm the benevolent NONDETERMINISTIC ORACLE mechanism. yeah, that's a technical term and it's cool as heck, mods namechange
[2] the answers is what people usually call a certificate

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

NONDETERMINISTIC ORACLE

still at delphi right???

or are u a sibylline book??

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

angry_keebler posted:

a p problem is a problem easily solved* by an algorithm

an np problem is a problem that evidently cannot be easily solved by an algorithm

as an example, brute forcing a cipher takes a long time and is an np problem. after generating a likely key you need to use the key to decode the document. without any other clues, one key is as good a guess as any other, but each bit n of key length represents 2^n bits of keys that need to be checked.

actually decoding a document is a p problem. you apply the correct key and the encrypted document becomes cleartext.

if p=np, there exists some currently unknown aglorithm that lets you solve np problems quickly. since this would destroy the global economy it's probably a good thing p!=np

e:
* by easily solved or quickly solved i mean solved in polynomial time

so some people are aall like "mother fuckin p == np!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Pinball Wizard posted:

anyone who knows anything understands that holmes comes off as gay because he's english hth

also I've never watched sherlock because it's probably bad but sometimes i watch elementary because lucy liu is hot but then the walking autism comes on screen and i change the channel

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

also back in the day everyone was hell of gay

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I just gave a vagrant money bc he said Steve Jobs is not dead

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

echinopsis posted:

so some people are aall like "mother fuckin p == np!"

well, probably

the idea that p=np would destroy public key cryptography is a little bit of a simplification because it's likely that a polynomial time solution could still be practically too expensive, if not principally so

although the idea of p=np forcing amazon to deliver by secure armed drone a one time pad to each customer so they can continue to order knicknacks appeals to my inner cyberpunk

angry_keebler fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 21, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

kraftwerk singles posted:

I just gave a vagrant money bc he said Steve Jobs is not dead

this is v good

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jerry Cotton posted:

anyone who knows anything understands that holmes comes off as gay because he's english hth

also I've never watched sherlock because it's probably bad but sometimes i watch elementary because lucy liu is hot but then the walking autism comes on screen and i change the channel

hmmm.... the english are gay

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

theadder posted:

this is v good

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

and yet he lives

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

angry_keebler posted:

well, probably

the idea that p=np would destroy public key cryptography is a little bit of a simplification because it's likely that a polynomial time solution could still be practically too expensive, if not principally so

although the idea of p=np forcing amazon to deliver by secure armed drone a one time pad to each customer so they can continue to order knicknacks appeals to my inner cyberpunk

in 2002 some indian guys found a polynomial algorithm to verify if a number is prime. theoretically speaking it was a huge surprising discovery to the whole P = NP debacle

for practical purposes it was worthless because the already known probabilistic algorithms were much more efficient

something similar will probably happen if P happens to be NP

• Locked thread