Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
sure if the plane was a super saiyan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
i think that if a plane hit a train or vice versa it would be bad for both of them op

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Still jet fuel and derailment

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just wanna know who's paying thousands of dollars for train simulators!? It's literally on rails!!

At least airplanes are nonlinear transport and cockpits are cool as he*k

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
same except that it would be your bung and my dilz. that poo poo would be DEVESTATED. RAVISHED.

pm me :bigtran:

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I just wanna know who's paying thousands of dollars for train simulators!? It's literally on rails!!

At least airplanes are nonlinear transport and cockpits are cool as he*k

They should at least throw in the random suicide or livestock every once in a while.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Meters per kilo per second? What the gently caress kind of retarded math is this? Joules please, this ain't retarded amerimath with foot pounds and other bullshit.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A train is made of sturdier materials than a plane because a plane needs to sacrifice collision tolerance for less weight so it can fly more cheaply, so the plane will break first. Replace the train with an egg with a thick shell and the plane with an egg with a thin shell and you can see what happens. Also imagine that you are moving alongside the plane, so the plane is moving at 0 MPH, yet the outcome of the collision stays the same. Makes you think.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

NihilismNow posted:

Meters per kilo per second? What the gently caress kind of retarded math is this? Joules please, this ain't retarded amerimath with foot pounds and other bullshit.

I had joules initially and it was like 42.7 mega joules vs 2.76 gigajoules but :effort:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

They should at least throw in the random suicide or livestock every once in a while.

there's nothing to train for, there's literally nothing the engineer can do

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Here is what one train car blowing up looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf3WKTwHpIU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Just checking in to ask if anyone's owned you for your improper use of 'decimated' yet or do I have to be the pedant

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Flagrant Abuse posted:

i'm pretty sure an airplane at speed would destroy more than 1/10th of the train, op

really, most of the back parts of the train would be destroyed by running into the front parerts of the train which have stopped.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Medicinal Penguin posted:

lol, your numbers are the most heavy plane on earth fully loaded versus a train that's like 2 cars. 150 tons for a train is some pussy poo poo, nobody ever takes a train out that light.

but thomas only took those 2 coach cars

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Video taping the radio. They might check your tapes but they'll never think to check videos for your hit tunes

E; Wrong thread but I think it sill stands

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

Trigger warning: Hate speech

TOILETLORD posted:

i flushed a train toilet in station before.

are you implying that it would just vent the poo poo directly onto the ground that is kinda absurd??? or is this like some old rear end train in a country with poo poo infrastructure

quote:

This assumes the train is carrying 150 tons and the plane is carrying 220 tons
:eyepop:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

concerned mom posted:

Just checking in to ask if anyone's owned you for your improper use of 'decimated' yet or do I have to be the pedant

Sorry I'm not from the fifteenth century

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I'm sorry, the plane would get owned. What kind of retarded question is this. There's a good chance the train won't even stop or get derailed assuming this is a head-on-somehow-the-plane-is-on-the-rails-coming-the-other-way retard question

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

The plane would have 2.7 giga joules of energy
The train would have 42.67 mega joules

This assumes the train is carrying 150 tons and the plane is carrying 220 tons

64,240,000,000 times more energy than the piece of poo poo train

Trains are for tards

Or I'm a tard and can't do math

Edit congrats it's the last one

Here's a super Swedish train

911 111 111 m kg / s

Vs

Fully loaded 747

79 197 227.8 m kg / s

But the Swedish train is full of coal and gonna loving light up the town

why do they have to fight?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
OP You're looking at this the wrong way. It doesn't really matter what their relative kinetic energy is but the strength and mass of the materials they're built by. Think of it this way, there's just this building sized hunk of diamond that's not moving anywhere, it would have 0 kinetic energy. But if a plane flew into it, the diamond would be relatively unharmed compared to the new state of the plane. Trains tend to be made of heavier sturdier materials that would almost undoubtedly fair better in a crash than the light stuff they need to make planes from, whether or not the train was even moving.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

What if the plane was on a treadmill and the train refused to tip if it didn't get enough soda refills?

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Like whales and giant squid, planes and trains are natural enemies

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

oh yeah??? what if it's a 10,000ton freight train??? did you ever thing of that op? :argh:

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage
What about a container ship?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

this is a useless discussion unless people are going to specify the make and model of the train or container ship of their choosing

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
After we're done can we stomp around and kick the trains like godzilla? And do we get imitation crab meat?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

null posted:

Like whales and giant squid, planes and trains are natural enemies

so much tragedy and senseless violence

obliviums
Oct 2, 2013

The only exercise I get is poopin'

Do you fat-shaming try-hards really know how good ice cream is?
And what about the Tectonic plates in all off this shaming and decimating? A plate colliding would remove all trace of a plane /or a mere train from the earth's crust.

i.imgur.com/ltXdUakl.jpg

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004

Robbie Fowler posted:

After we're done can we stomp around and kick the trains like godzilla? And do we get imitation crab meat?

Dont break they are my sons

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
The OP is a great example of an utter lack of critical thinking. It's quite impressive actually. And I do realize the poster acknowledged using poorly chosen number, later, but still...

Grabbed some numbers from WIKI, plugged in some algebra, spit out some garbage and made a declaration. That was completely devoid of any critical thinking.

Quick, simple, and stupid. Truly pure.

Not even a vague hint that any actual thinking had been applied. It not like you could look at a picture of a train and a plane, travel on either, see them in real life, and at least consider the slight possibility that "hey, these numbers seem a bit out of whack. I wonder if my premise was accurate?"

Nope. Not necessary. Just going to vomit some garbage out.

Setting new bars, lower than ever before.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Internetjack posted:

The OP is a great example of an utter lack of critical thinking. It's quite impressive actually. And I do realize the poster acknowledged using poorly chosen number, later, but still...

Grabbed some numbers from WIKI, plugged in some algebra, spit out some garbage and made a declaration. That was completely devoid of any critical thinking.

Quick, simple, and stupid. Truly pure.

Not even a vague hint that any actual thinking had been applied. It not like you could look at a picture of a train and a plane, travel on either, see them in real life, and at least consider the slight possibility that "hey, these numbers seem a bit out of whack. I wonder if my premise was accurate?"

Nope. Not necessary. Just going to vomit some garbage out.

Setting new bars, lower than ever before.

this is a great example of a bad post

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Hey op, a cat that weighs 600 pounds (imagine Totoro) crashes into that girl you met on Tinder last week. I looked up the speed of light on Wikipedia and multiplied that by the current time (UTC). Add the 1 carry the 8, and by my calculations you're a fat lonely goon

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

yeah maybe if both the train and the plane were both just solid cubes of matter u dumb idiot

planes are built to be light and hollow, trains are thick and have bigass engines.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

OP is right

Planes vs Trains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqN_Pd58MFw

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU1_L5ww3og

F3AR THE F40PH

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So if we could find a way to make trains that don't need tracks we could weaponize them and create the most terrifying armored vehicles in human history?
Like armored basilisks killdozing the land

• Locked thread