Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I don't see a thread for this, so I'm starting one.

Antonio Banderas and Robert Forster, among others. This movie looks loving great - I'm a sucker for this story archtype. Mass Effect, BSG, etc, robots gaining sentience and how their creators react. I'm not expecting any deep revelations about the human condition, I just think it'll be fun.

I can't seem to find a copy of the trailer on youtube that isn't pasted over with subtitles or other crap, so have a Yahoo link.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/see-the-exclusive-trailer-for-antonio-banderas-sci-fi-95292520687.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
This may be the sleeper of the year.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I got a Blade Runner vibe in the trailer.

It was nice seeing Melanie Griffith looking normal... last I saw her was some "horrors of plastic surgery" type picture.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GORDON posted:

It was nice seeing Melanie Griffith looking normal... last I saw her was some "horrors of plastic surgery" type picture.

I'd describe her face as wonky, not normal. But that's just me. That aside, this movie looks pretty interesting.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
A guy at work mentioned it and said he loved it from the trailer so I jumped onto Youtube and took a look. It almost angered me, and I was amazed my colleague was interested at all. It was then that I realised that Youtube had auto-corrected my search query to "automaton trailer", which is some arty low-budget film about sexbots or something.
This certainly looks like something to keep an eye on.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

This looks like a terrible retelling of I-Robot honestly and I'd rather have a truly more honest version of that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
This could be an awful film and still be much better than I, Robot.

The trailer made it look like it struck an interesting balance between the robots as a threat to mankind and as revolutionaries with a legitimate complaint, when most tellings of this type of story lean too far towards one or the other. Hard to tell from a couple minutes of course but it could turn out pretty neat.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 26, 2014

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I think my opinion is tainted by the movie Elysium and this has a somewhat similar vibe.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sylink posted:

I think my opinion is tainted by the movie Elysium and this has a somewhat similar vibe.

It's definitely got a comparable look.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'd love to see some more Asimov ideas put into films, though. Bicentennial man was actually pretty drat good.

His short stories would make for an interesting twilight zone esque series.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

GORDON posted:

I got a Blade Runner vibe in the trailer.

I swore that was Clive Owen until the credits read Dylan McDermmot as the blade runnerdroid hunter.

I'm going to admit, I too felt an Elysium vibe as well in it's sun-bleached run-down shantytown dystopia (although it reminds me more of Blomkamp's shorts). I've already swore to people that everyone is going to be copying that Elysium aesthetic in the coming years and it's happy with this and the latest Call Of Duty with goddamn exosuits that I'm right about that.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 26, 2014

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Young Freud posted:

I swore that was Clive Owen until the credits read Dylan McDermmot as the blade runnerdroid hunter.

I'm going to admit, I too felt an Elysium vibe as well in it's sun-bleached run-down shantytown dystopia (although it reminds me more of Blomkamp's shorts). I've already swore to people that everyone is going to be copying that Elysium aesthetic in the coming years and it's happy with this and the latest Call Of Duty with goddamn exosuits that I'm right about that.

The new Call of Duty looks to be continuing the series proud tradition of letting you play as cinematic villains in recent, well regarded movies. "Play as the Winter Soldier and Kruger, oppress and murder poor people with the new exo-suit. Only on Xbox One."

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Personally I can't wait to see this movie. Also, it just got body slammed into the ground by one of the critics over at Roger Ebert's old website.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

The New York Times review was basically "First half good, second half is mediocre." I will still see it if it ever comes around to my neck of the woods.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Caught it last night. Its a pretty in your face religious/creation allegory. Its world building is a little obvious as well. Less little touches and more 'all hail blade runner'

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked it quite a bit. Yeah, they lay the creation metaphors on very thick, but it's got great atmosphere, is extremely well-made, and is just off-beat enough to have its own identity. I'd place it in that current pantheon of slick, modern sci-fi movies that are more style than substance, but still try to explore some socially relevant themes with moderately successful results, e.g. Oblivion or Elysium.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A mix of I-robot, Elysium and Blade Runner... sure.

I'll check it out.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This could be an awful film and still be much better than I, Robot.

That movie almost singlehandedly defined the course of my academic life. :colbert:

I won't claim it was perfect by a long shot, but it's still a great movie and definitely one of my personal favorites.

Sylink posted:

Seems different enough that it doesn't bother me, but Elysium the only other popular movie recently with a similar kind of atmosphere and setting so I guess some people would have the same issue.

This seems neat conceptually, but I'm not sure how well the story will hold up. For me, this is the kind of story that lives and dies on how the story is handled.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
It pisses me off that this movie builds up such nice ideas and story to gently caress it all up.

I can't say I didn't enjoy it though, it sure does leave a lovely after taste, and yet for some reason you wanna have more.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The coolest part of this movie besides the giant holographic strippers was the thing you learn in the 2nd act: the laws were created by the very first unfettered AI intelligence rather than humans because it took an AI to create something that powerful/uncrackable

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really enjoyed this, but sometimes I think I'm probably more forgiving since it's not like their are nearly enough sci-fi films around to have a really high bar. Also I watched Lucy immediately before Automata, so compared to that steaming pile of poo poo Automata was amazing.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I think it was a very enjoyable film, if a bit watered down. Like others have said, the first two acts are very rich and filled with great world-building, and it decides to go the generic action/sci-fi movie route for the ending. It's one I'll encourage others to watch, but it lacked that final punch that would make it something extraordinary.

I think the blending of CG/Practical effects as far as the Automata were concerned was for the most part good though, which was appreciated. And man, Cleo was creepy as hell sometimes, particularly with her errant blinking. Definitely approaching the Uncanny Valley, which I thought was great.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Not a bad film, I appreciated the sparing use of CGI. There were a few parts in the script that kinda ruined it for me, the best example: "It's like trying to keep a soap bubble in your pocket... Do you get it?!"

I mean the stage was perfectly set there for a nice paradoxical analogy, I dunno, like "trying to chew your own jaw" or some other cleverer catch 22. That theme runs through the whole film, it's almost as though they started with a great movie then deliberately edited any part of the script that veered too close to making a statement about anything, or anything that a 3 year old child might have difficulty understanding, leaving the whole thing flat and pointless. Still, not a bad film, just could have been a lot more with slightly better dialogue.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Such a clumsy movie. Felt like it was just going through the motions in every possible aspect.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I watched this on a free weekend on Xbox Live and I liked it quite a bit. The first half felt very Blade Runner without just outright copying it from beginning to end, and I liked the somewhat understated theme of the inevitable extinction of the human race. I liked that the robots weren't evil or violent or malicious, they just wanted to exist and weren't seeking to overthrow humanity or whatever. It was a neat subversion of an otherwise played out trope.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
What? Like Blade Runner, perhaps?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I liked it, just wish the plot and characterizations were a bit tighter. They really wasted the cop character by killing him so early on when he would have been a more appropriate replacement for the generic company fixer.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Reivax posted:

What? Like Blade Runner, perhaps?
The replicants in Blade Runner were pretty violent and even before the events of the movie it's outright stated that the ones Deckard is tasked with hunting down had killed a bunch of people.

The robots in Automata don't even come close to hurting anyone in the entire movie aside from the roach-bot at the end, and that was arguably self defense.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I watched this on a free weekend on Xbox Live and I liked it quite a bit. The first half felt very Blade Runner without just outright copying it from beginning to end, and I liked the somewhat understated theme of the inevitable extinction of the human race. I liked that the robots weren't evil or violent or malicious, they just wanted to exist and weren't seeking to overthrow humanity or whatever. It was a neat subversion of an otherwise played out trope.

I like that reading. It's like an alcoholic, burnout dad hating his son who's just made it into college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Most solid earner of a 6/10 rating. Looks great, some good ideas, never really finds its way though. But still a lot more interesting than most of what passes for sci fi these days.

• Locked thread