Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
Problem description: Just put this computer together, and I'm not getting any video output.

Attempted fixes: I tried the HDMI on both the motherboard and the video card, but nothing. I'm going through a 32" LCD TV for the time being, which also has a VGA port. I have a VGA-to-DVI cable, but that didn't work either. At least not through the video card. The motherboard display has a DVI-D connector and my cable is DVI-I, so it won't fit the plug.

I'm not hearing any beeps when I boot the computer. It does seem to start up, but reboots itself after a minute or so, maybe because I don't have a HDD connected yet? I just wanted to see if things worked before I hooked that up, but they don't.

Recent changes: New system build, but I have been using the same TV as a monitor with my previous computer for the last couple years

--

Operating system: Windows 7, if I actually make it to that point

System specs:
i5 4690K
ASRock Z97 Pro4
GTX 760
8GB G.Skill RAM
Corsair GS600 PSU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do you have access to a monitor? I wouldn't expect your TV to be able to display BIOS and POST messages, as they can typically only accept standard TV timings (480p, 720p, 1080p). Also try removing the videocard and connecting to the onboard HDMI, verifying both power cables (8-pin and 24-pin) are connected to the motherboard, trying only one stick of RAM at a time, and clearing the CMOS via the jumper on the board.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Alereon posted:

Do you have access to a monitor? I wouldn't expect your TV to be able to display BIOS and POST messages, as they can typically only accept standard TV timings (480p, 720p, 1080p). Also try removing the videocard and connecting to the onboard HDMI, verifying both power cables (8-pin and 24-pin) are connected to the motherboard, trying only one stick of RAM at a time, and clearing the CMOS via the jumper on the board.

I've been meaning to get a monitor anyway, so I went out and bought one, although my previous PC was able to display all the BIOS and POST messages on the same TV. Didn't work. I've also tried removing the video card and connecting through onboard HDMI, and since my new monitor has a VGA port, I tried that, too. I even tried taking the motherboard out of the case and putting a piece of cardboard under it in case something was making contact with the case and shorting out, but that turned out to be a lot of work for nothing. Clearing CMOS was also a no-go, as was trying each RAM stick individually in the first slot.

Seems like I'm running out of options here. You think I have a bad motherboard or CPU? If so, how would I isolate it to one or the other? It's not like I have a spare $240 CPU or a spare $100 motherboard laying around.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It sounds like a bad motherboard, though if you have a compatible power supply I would test that too. CPUs are essentially never bad from the factory, if your troubleshooting ever comes down to the CPU or something else you can be confident it's not the CPU.

• Locked thread