Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
how is a nigga supposed to get his candy crush invites if he donyt have facebook

u ignorant as hell op... smh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
ur almost on my level

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 641 days!
Must have been a terrible loss for Tom, and only Tom, to lose you like that.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

My grandma doesn't post on Something Awful though

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Clochette posted:

My grandma doesn't post on Something Awful though
ya she does

landy.
Jan 20, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

StabMasterArson posted:

You don't need Twitter or Facebook because all your real friends are on the Something Awful dot com forums. Take the CHallenge and liberate yourself from social medias. post ITT when your accounts are deactivated

I don't think it helped any honestly

rootphreak
May 16, 2008

HO HO HO
SPREAD EM FOR SANTA
Guys I can't let go of my Neopets account - it's 15 years of hard work unowatimgay

naem
May 29, 2011

SDKELETON

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
what about Yammer

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I laughed out loud op

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

StabMasterArson posted:

You don't need Twitter or Facebook because all your real friends are on the Something Awful dot com forums. Take the CHallenge and liberate yourself from social medias. post ITT when your accounts are deactivated

done

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
i told u i was hardcore

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW
hwoc an you even post i dont spend more than 2 seconds a post aor read the threads i mpsot it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Uh wow how am I suppose to know about my friends who got married way too young and are now getting divorced?! Or how about vague messages about someone

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i deleted my social media accounts because that poo poo is loving annoying

like do people really think everyone gives a gently caress about what they are doing on an hourly basis throughout the day? you're not that interesting.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Moridin920 posted:

i deleted my social media accounts because that poo poo is loving annoying

like do people really think everyone gives a gently caress about what they are doing on an hourly basis throughout the day? you're not that interesting.

you can do a thing where you hide people from your feed. god bless

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OP can i keep my linkedin and Quora accounts?

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Business Gorillas posted:

then he'd have noting to bitch about ... and bitching is his bitch y'all

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

well I was doing that for a while but then I said gently caress it who cares

although I still have a FB, I just never log on.

SirEvelynTremble posted:

then he'd have noting to bitch about ... and bitching is his bitch y'all

that too, it's like my fuel

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
10. Decorum

The infinite space of social media creates a false sense of anonymity. A significant number of Fcbk users will post, share, and/or like things online that they would not in public (or they will “like” or “follow” a cause that they could not explain if you wanted to know the details). Most importantly, the vocabulary, lack of grammar, and complaining environment of the Fcbk space is annoying.

9. Social Politics

With my business clients and professional networks, with my coworkers at the water-cooler, and as often as possible with my friends & family, I stay away from discussions of party politics, government actions / inactions, religious views, and entertainment news media unless I know that the present company can have an educated and passive conversation. Similar to precarious conversations about religion or politics, Fcbk has created a new type of social politics that is easy to get sucked into and fall victim to the backlash.

8. Huge Amount of Risk (Personal & Professional)

Ever hear anyone say “we broke up because of Facebook,” or “I lost my job because of Facebook?” Personally, I firmly believe that responsibility lies within our own actions and that the blame isn’t really on Fcbk. The truth though, is that people are sharing, communicating, and are more closely connected than ever before. One mistake- shared with thousands- could lead to personal, professional, financial, and reputational losses that could significantly change the trajectory or outcome of your future.

7. Better Ways to Connect

I feel that Facebook has given friends, family, co-workers, and clients an easy excuse to be impersonal and feel okay or complacent about it. “THAT MAKES NO SENSE” you’re probably screaming; especially after I just wrote that we are more connected in 2014 than ever before. The thing is, I believe in deep waters not vast shallow kiddie-pools…. The people I physically spend time with, the people that I verbally talk to on a regular basis and who call me, the friends I meet for coffee, or the people I play sports with are the relationships that I strongly rely on. “Following,” re-posting or sharing, “Liking,” or sending birthday messages because the computer reminded you are not the ways in which I want to connect.

6. Negative Psychological Effects of Personal Inflation

It is extremely rare that someone posts negative things about themselves, or shares something they did wrong or that wasn’t cool, or admits to something they are ashamed of… So, very much like airbrushing an already super-skinny model on a magazine advertisement, Facebook is a cheap misrepresentation of reality and I believe that this has psychological consequences on Fcbk users. I would even make a small argument that the gap between your inflated Fcbk life, and your reality, leads to moments of disappointment and self doubt.

5. Facebook Stalking

I don’t claim for this to be MY personal problem (I’m not that cool), but we all know that Fcbk stalking is real (especially because so many users are irresponsibly eager to publicize their personal information). You yourself may have been a Fcbk Stalker, you may have been “cased” or a victim of someone’s preconceived notions thanks to your Fcbk page, or you might just hate the fact that your Fcbk profile is just that…. A self-portrait / profile made public (and it will be judged).

4. Focusing on Linked-In & My Professional Network

YoutTube is a video sharing website, Gmail is an electronic mail (e-mail) website, Yahoo! and Google are search engines, and Facebook is a social network. I make no profit or commission from arguing this point, but Linked-In is a professional networking website and the way in which users present / carry themselves on Linked-In is far superior, much more mature, and much more professional than on Facebook. Time wasted on Fcbk should be time invested on building your professional networks, on writing timely paragraphs or articles about trends within your industry, and on making connections with people who can enhance your career path.

3. The Facebook Lifestyle is Like Dating a Robot Girlfriend

Facebook promotes the legitimacy of living your life through the lens of a camera phone and that lifestyle is transactional and electronic… People watch fireworks, go to concerts, and watch their children play by taking videos through their telephones instead of using their own two eyes. Worst of all, look around at the next restaurant you visit and you will see how many people are glued to their cell-phones checking status updates. Facebook might make you feel “famous” when other users “like” your posts or comment on what your doing, but that is a false, shallow, and short-lived trade-off for the genuine satisfaction that long-term memories can create.

2. Facebook Will Be the Catalyst to the Next Stock Market Bubble Burst

Facebook sells advertisement space and makes a ton of money doing so? No way!! I never heard of that before… Don’t newspapers and the YellowPages also sell advertisement space?... Main street (not Wall street) investors who believe in publicly-traded, social media corporations are at great risk of losing their principal investments at the whim of a fashion trend.

1. Data Mining & Invasive Advertising

Your Facebook profile, the trends you “follow,” the organizations that you “like,” the locations that you “check-in” at, and all of the things that you share, these are all components of your electronic Facebook personality profile and these profiles are being compiled and data-mined for targeted advertisement. If you want to know Facebook’s true monetary value, consider how much a savvy salesman or saleswoman would pay to know your deepest interests and desires… That’s why Facebook makes money on advertisements; thanks to your profile.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Moridin920 posted:

well I was doing that for a while but then I said gently caress it who cares
you do, apparently

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

you do, apparently

I'm just shitposting man

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Moridin920 posted:

I'm just shitposting man

get out of the fb mentality

remember, just because 800million+ fb posters shitpost doesn't mean you have to

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
How will I know it's ur birthday and post a heart felt congrats?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Only challenges I take are Klingon ones. EXPERIENCE BIJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Snatch Duster posted:

10. Decorum

The infinite space of social media creates a false sense of anonymity. A significant number of Fcbk users will post, share, and/or like things online that they would not in public (or they will “like” or “follow” a cause that they could not explain if you wanted to know the details). Most importantly, the vocabulary, lack of grammar, and complaining environment of the Fcbk space is annoying.

9. Social Politics

With my business clients and professional networks, with my coworkers at the water-cooler, and as often as possible with my friends & family, I stay away from discussions of party politics, government actions / inactions, religious views, and entertainment news media unless I know that the present company can have an educated and passive conversation. Similar to precarious conversations about religion or politics, Fcbk has created a new type of social politics that is easy to get sucked into and fall victim to the backlash.

8. Huge Amount of Risk (Personal & Professional)

Ever hear anyone say “we broke up because of Facebook,” or “I lost my job because of Facebook?” Personally, I firmly believe that responsibility lies within our own actions and that the blame isn’t really on Fcbk. The truth though, is that people are sharing, communicating, and are more closely connected than ever before. One mistake- shared with thousands- could lead to personal, professional, financial, and reputational losses that could significantly change the trajectory or outcome of your future.

7. Better Ways to Connect

I feel that Facebook has given friends, family, co-workers, and clients an easy excuse to be impersonal and feel okay or complacent about it. “THAT MAKES NO SENSE” you’re probably screaming; especially after I just wrote that we are more connected in 2014 than ever before. The thing is, I believe in deep waters not vast shallow kiddie-pools…. The people I physically spend time with, the people that I verbally talk to on a regular basis and who call me, the friends I meet for coffee, or the people I play sports with are the relationships that I strongly rely on. “Following,” re-posting or sharing, “Liking,” or sending birthday messages because the computer reminded you are not the ways in which I want to connect.

6. Negative Psychological Effects of Personal Inflation

It is extremely rare that someone posts negative things about themselves, or shares something they did wrong or that wasn’t cool, or admits to something they are ashamed of… So, very much like airbrushing an already super-skinny model on a magazine advertisement, Facebook is a cheap misrepresentation of reality and I believe that this has psychological consequences on Fcbk users. I would even make a small argument that the gap between your inflated Fcbk life, and your reality, leads to moments of disappointment and self doubt.

5. Facebook Stalking

I don’t claim for this to be MY personal problem (I’m not that cool), but we all know that Fcbk stalking is real (especially because so many users are irresponsibly eager to publicize their personal information). You yourself may have been a Fcbk Stalker, you may have been “cased” or a victim of someone’s preconceived notions thanks to your Fcbk page, or you might just hate the fact that your Fcbk profile is just that…. A self-portrait / profile made public (and it will be judged).

4. Focusing on Linked-In & My Professional Network

YoutTube is a video sharing website, Gmail is an electronic mail (e-mail) website, Yahoo! and Google are search engines, and Facebook is a social network. I make no profit or commission from arguing this point, but Linked-In is a professional networking website and the way in which users present / carry themselves on Linked-In is far superior, much more mature, and much more professional than on Facebook. Time wasted on Fcbk should be time invested on building your professional networks, on writing timely paragraphs or articles about trends within your industry, and on making connections with people who can enhance your career path.

3. The Facebook Lifestyle is Like Dating a Robot Girlfriend

Facebook promotes the legitimacy of living your life through the lens of a camera phone and that lifestyle is transactional and electronic… People watch fireworks, go to concerts, and watch their children play by taking videos through their telephones instead of using their own two eyes. Worst of all, look around at the next restaurant you visit and you will see how many people are glued to their cell-phones checking status updates. Facebook might make you feel “famous” when other users “like” your posts or comment on what your doing, but that is a false, shallow, and short-lived trade-off for the genuine satisfaction that long-term memories can create.

2. Facebook Will Be the Catalyst to the Next Stock Market Bubble Burst

Facebook sells advertisement space and makes a ton of money doing so? No way!! I never heard of that before… Don’t newspapers and the YellowPages also sell advertisement space?... Main street (not Wall street) investors who believe in publicly-traded, social media corporations are at great risk of losing their principal investments at the whim of a fashion trend.

1. Data Mining & Invasive Advertising

Your Facebook profile, the trends you “follow,” the organizations that you “like,” the locations that you “check-in” at, and all of the things that you share, these are all components of your electronic Facebook personality profile and these profiles are being compiled and data-mined for targeted advertisement. If you want to know Facebook’s true monetary value, consider how much a savvy salesman or saleswoman would pay to know your deepest interests and desires… That’s why Facebook makes money on advertisements; thanks to your profile.

some good tips for aspiring gold mine posters here.

• Locked thread