Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
So this is going to be a longshot but is anybody maybe not playing actively and still holding airplane charters to sell? I got back to the game recently and realized that I want to play it a bit more but some of the older items are not listed in the mall anymore.

If you’d ever log in and would have Conspiracy Island charter or some older IoTMs for sell, shoot me a PM here or in the game (username: divisible by zero). Not looking for a sweet deal, I just want to get that and some other hard to get items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I'll log in and see what I've got

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
This Quantum Terrarium summer challenge path is surprising pleasant. It is not too weird or out-of-the-ordinary like imploding or goo, and not so grueling as the robot. It's like a free sampler to try out all those cool familiar's that I've missed out on through the years. Nice to be able to get some unique drops and content unlockers, even if it's just in small quantities.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Crimbo Town is now open. You'll need to gather up a lot of cold resistance.

See you at the north pole.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Anyone still playing this game? I got back into it recently and have had a pretty good time going through all the content they've released since 2012. Seems like the community in game is on the decline as well, however. I also appear to have been booted from the SA clan. Anyone still log in and able to whitelist me?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
A bunch of the devs got outed as sexpests, so I kind of soured on it

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nebrilos posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nebrilos posted:

:same:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Nebrilos posted:

:emptyquote:

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I respect those takes, even though I still play occasionally.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nebrilos posted:

Same. I threw all my items into the guild bank and quit.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Is there anything left of the community? NO seemed like awesome charitable people at the time, are they still doing their thing despite the terrible devs?

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

I can log back in and look I suppose. Unless I've been booted.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
A lot of people gave up when all that went down, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were still some remnants of the speedrunning community around. It's crazy that it's been almost three years since Radio KoL finally called it quits.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

so a sequel was just announced

and released

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1939160/Shadows_Over_Loathing/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
What a weird thing to do. I'm fairly sure you're not supposed to do it like that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh poo poo.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Antigravitas posted:

What a weird thing to do. I'm fairly sure you're not supposed to do it like that.
it does seem weird as far as sales go.

I seem to remember from the VGHD podcast them putting a lot of thought into the release timing, price, and marketing of WoL to maximize the initial sales

maybe they figured the long-tail sales of WoL were strong enough that they could just release it whenever? Or they didn't wanna stress out about it. Or the release date was chosen by one of the eldrich horrors from the game as the outcome of a sinister pact.

I'm eager to play it but I also just got started in earnest playing another game so 🤷😕

edit: tho if you're wondering why it doesn't cost $11.11

https://twitter.com/5glebs/status/1591113402411520005

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 11, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I played this for like 5 hours today and didn't reach the end of the first day. This game feels massive.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

It's so good. Dropping this without any fanfare feels almost criminal.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah it's nuts. One thing that's a huge achievement over WoL is that the main plot has me hooked, when in that game it felt more like a loose structure to build a bunch of funny short stories around. This one still has plenty of the latter, but the central narrative driving things forward really takes it to the next level. Love all the spooky stuff, too.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Pseudoscorpion posted:

It's so good. Dropping this without any fanfare feels almost criminal.

Sivart13 posted:

it does seem weird as far as sales go.

I seem to remember from the VGHD podcast them putting a lot of thought into the release timing, price, and marketing of WoL to maximize the initial sales

maybe they figured the long-tail sales of WoL were strong enough that they could just release it whenever? Or they didn't wanna stress out about it. Or the release date was chosen by one of the eldrich horrors from the game as the outcome of a sinister pact.

Weird, criminal and sinister pact are the appropriate words for why they didn't broadly advertise a game made by an abuser

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 13, 2022

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
what'd he do, again? I was pretty heavy into KoL before whatever happened happened.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Cobalt60 posted:

what'd he do, again? I was pretty heavy into KoL before whatever happened happened.

https://jickenwings.org/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sivart13 posted:

edit: tho if you're wondering why it doesn't cost $11.11

https://twitter.com/5glebs/status/1591113402411520005

At least it's got 37 achievements (in a row).

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I appreciate you posting this. Got a refund.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Is he still involved with the company?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Twincityhacker posted:

Is he still involved with the company?

Yeah, it's his company.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, Zack Johnson IS Asymmetric. I'd only kept the subscription to this thread out of laziness and tiny flicker of hope that he'd turn around from being a lovely person. KoL was a HUGE part of the 2010s for me, and dropping it cold turkey left a big hole in my entertainment landscape.

I haven't heard or seen anything about him changing, so I guess I'll ignore the new game and continue regretting all the money I sent Asym already.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It sucks because the new game does look good and I would enjoy it... but refusing to buy as an act of protest only works if it's something you would have bought anyway, so there I go, I guess.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think it looks fun and I'm going to play it.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I used to love KoL, but it was getting kind of stale for me and then when Mr.Skullhead was laid off in an unprofessional manner, I quit at that point. I didn't find out about the rape and other things until over a year after they had been leaked since I hadn't logged in and just checked the thread out of nostalgia. It's really terrible to see that something you used to like and support had that going on behind the scenes.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, Zack Johnson IS Asymmetric. I'd only kept the subscription to this thread out of laziness and tiny flicker of hope that he'd turn around from being a lovely person. KoL was a HUGE part of the 2010s for me, and dropping it cold turkey left a big hole in my entertainment landscape.

I haven't heard or seen anything about him changing, so I guess I'll ignore the new game and continue regretting all the money I sent Asym already.

For a while, I played FarmRPG and scratched it same itch that KoL would scratch: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4001873

Thankfully I had quit KoL by the time the news hit so it wasn't a huge loss for me. Never being able to finish WoL or play their new game is unfortunate but not the end of the world for me.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Well, that sucks. The Chuthulu game sounded interesting. = (

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Wizard of the Deep posted:

What kind of change are you looking for? Most of the bad things he's reported to have done happened in 2009. How long does someone have to not do bad things to be considered changed?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Sivart13 posted:

What kind of change are you looking for? Most of the bad things he's reported to have done happened in 2009. How long does someone have to not do bad things to be considered changed?

It depends. Like "bad boss" needs proof of reform, but "rapist" is hard to forget.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://ryanike.bandcamp.com/track/in-lands-laid-low

The soundtrack is so good -- this theme for the chapter 4 area is so sick

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Sivart13 posted:

In this, my big guidepost here is how Phoenix felt about his response, which was largely that it was an avoidance of his own part in the poo poo that happened. It's not as simple as 'if she's satisfied, I'm satisfied', though that's pretty much true. She was the one who was hurt, after all.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Twincityhacker posted:

It depends. Like "bad boss" needs proof of reform, but "rapist" is hard to forget.

Nowhere is it alleged that he raped anyone. I think it's reasonable to not want to support the company, but it doesn't do anyone any favors to play a game of telephone with the victims statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

goferchan posted:

Nowhere is it alleged that he raped anyone. I think it's reasonable to not want to support the company, but it doesn't do anyone any favors to play a game of telephone with the victims statement.

No, he is alleged to have abused a rape victim and supported he rapist.

Also thanks everyone for remembering this thread exists, I thought I closed it 3 years ago.

I will be rectifying that shortly.