Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Here's a controversial idea ,, why doan youmake it a video so I don't not have to scroll through all this???

ps. nice lp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I feel like, lping RPGs is a very special brand of endurance contest, good luck man

jaydee864 posted:

I think I miscounted earlier. This should be the last post on this page.

congrats, you did it

bogger
Dec 28, 2008
Update 3: Eden Prime 2: Echoes

Blissfully unaware of Nihlus' demise, Shepard and company make their way forward.

: What is that? Off in the distance?

It's the thing we saw on screen back at the Normandy. Now that we can see the whole picture, you can tell it's a ship. Albeit one that looks like a giant lobster.

We have other problems right now though - the place is crawling with Geth and husks. Those cannisters on the stairs are explosive, but I'm usually pretty bad about using the environment to my advantage, so I take out everything conventionally.

As conventional as you can get blasting people with your mind anyway.

There's a shack with another locked door on it.

These guys come out once we unlock the door.

: Is it safe? Are they gone?

: Nobody moves a muscle until we know who you are!

Shepard isn't taking any chances. It might be another crazy doctor.

: Nice going, Cole! I told you we should've stayed hidden.

: It's okay. We're all on the same side here. We're just farmers. We've been hiding ever since that ship first showed up.

: Tell me everything you remember about the attack.

: The three of us were working the crops when that ship showed up. We just saw it and ran. I don't know what happened to the rest of the crew.

: You don't know that! We survived. If they made it to the garage, they could've had a fighting chance!

Most of the voice acting in Mass Effect is good, but this farmer sticks out like a sore thumb. She's trying to do some kind of accent and it just sounds bad.

: Do you know anything about the Prothean beacon they dug up?

: We're just farmers. We heard they found something out there, but it never really mattered to us. Not until now.

: What else can you tell me about the ship you saw?

: I was too busy running to get a clear look at it. I think it landed over near the spaceport.

: Tell them about the noise Cole. That awful noise.

Why don't you just tell us?

: It was emitting some kind of signal as it descended. Sounded like the shriek of the damned. Only it was coming from inside your own head.

: It was probably trying to block communications.

: I have to go.

: Hey, Cole. We're just a bunch of farmers. These guys are soldiers. Maybe we should give them the stuff.

: Geez, Blake. You've gotta learn when to shut up!

I just punched a guy for the hell of it. You don't want to find out what happens when I have a legitimate reason to be pissed.

: Some guys at the spaceport were running a small smuggling ring. Nothing major. In exchange for a cut of the profits, we let them store packages in our sheds.

: You're breaking the law, Cole.

True, but I'm not sure why Shepard is getting worked up about it - we have bigger problems at the moment.

: We're not hurting anybody! Hell, most of the time, I don't even know what's in the packages. I just thought there might be something we could use.

You'll notice two greyed out dialogue options. Some conversation choices require a certain amount of Charm or Intimidate points to pick. Charm options will be nice-guy Paragon options displayed in blue text, and Intimidate options will be Renegade options in red text.

Typically Charm and/or Intimidate are the first skills I max out, but this Shepard isn't so persuasive. Some quests are only completable with Charm/Intimidate, so I'll have to put points in them eventually.

If we were a bit more persuasive, we'd be able to convince Cole to also give us a weapon upgrade and the name of his contact at the docks.

: This should help. Let's move out.

: Good luck.

As it is, the pistol is a nice upgrade.

Inside the shack is a storage locker we can't open. This one requires the Electronics skill, which nobody has yet.

Moving on, we find poor Nihlus. Between Nihlus, Jenkins, Ashley's squad, and all the dead civilians, this mission isn't going so well. At least we have Kaidan and Ashley - nothing's going to happen to them, right? Right?

Shepard can be really snarky with the right choices.

Man's got a point - I doubt he'd have been any use in the fight. It's not like we had a difficult time anyway.

: My name's Powell. I saw what happened to that turian. The other one shot him.

: What the hell are you talking about?

Remember, unlike us, Shepard and crew didn't actually see Saren firsthand.

: Your friend seemd to relax. He let his guard down... and Saren killed him. Shot him right in the back. I'm just lucky he didn't see me behind the crates.

: Where'd Saren go after he killed Nihlus?

: He jumped on the cargo train and headed over to the other platform. Probably going after the beacon.

: I knew that beacon was trouble. Everything's gone to hell since we found it. First that drat mother ship showed up. Then the attack.

: They killed everyone. Everyone! If I hadn't been behind the crates I'd be dead, too!

: How come you're the only one who survived? Why didn't anyone else try to hide behind the crates?

: They never had a chance. I... I was already behind the crates when the attack started.

: I... sometimes I need a nap to get through my shift. I sneak off behind the crates to grab forty winks where the supervisor can't find me.

Ashley and Shepard are pissed about this, but what would they prefer, this guy going out in a blaze of glory? He'd just end up as another husk like everyone else here. He's a hell of a lot more useful as a witness to what Saren did.

: I don't even have a gun! What was I supposed to do? Run out there and die?

: I couldn't save them. Nobody could. It was... horrible.

: Tell me about the geth attack.

: It was quick. One minute, that ship was descending. The next, those geth were swarming over the platform, thousands of them.

We haven't seen thousands of geth, so the majority must have packed up and left before we arrived on the scene.

: They must have been inside that mother ship. They shot anything that moved. It was a massacre.

: Is there anything else you can tell me about the beacon?

: They brought it here this morning. We loaded it up onto the train and shipped it to the other platform.

: Hard to believe that was only a few hours ago. Feels like a whole other life.

: Tell me about this 'mother ship' you saw.

: And-- And it was making this noise, this-- this sound that bored right into your brain. That's what woke me up. The attack came a few minutes later.

Sounds similar to what the farmers said about the noise. Kinda gives you the feeling it was more than just a communications jamming trick.

: We need to find that beacon before it's too late.

: Take the cargo train. That's where the other turian went.

We didn't find out about it, but Powell was the one operating the smuggling ring. So he's cowardly, lazy, and a smuggler on top of it all. But at least he's lucky.

Moving on, we immediately encounter some Geth. The game decides to take this time to teach us about commanding our team. You can only ever control Shepard, but you can give your teammates orders, such as telling them to use a particular power or move to a certain location.

You can pause the game at any time to give orders or just scope things out.

This Geth Destroyer here is actually invincible to normal attacks. Kaidan's Throw instantly kills him - I guess they really want to teach you to give commands.

A long hallway with a bunch of Geth awaits us. Conveniently, there's cover all along the hall.

Shepard can sprint in short bursts, seen in this shot. It takes some time to recharge after using.

Before moving on, I take the opportunity to level up and equip some upgrades. Shepard learns Electronics, so I could go back and open that storage locker from earlier.

You're generally going to want someone with Electronics and Decryption in the party for opening locked things. Since Shepard will be able to do that herself we won't have to worry about it.

Shepard and Kaiden are both using pistols. Shepard's gun has an upgrade that reduces heat gain, and Kaiden has an upgrade that prevents radar jamming to a certain extent. Both have Tungsten ammo, which does extra damage to synthetic enemies like Geth.

We head off after Saren.

Here's that beacon everyone's been talking about.

Saren activates it and starts levitating. That's a good sign, right?

Meanwhile, our heroes arrive on the scene.

: Demolition charges! The geth must have planted them.

Here's a new gimmick - you have 5 minutes to disarm 4 bombs. Disarming a bomb just entails crouching next to it for a few seconds.

You can see where the bombs are on your map/minimap, but they're not hard to find or even spaced out much.

Of course, the Geth aren't going to let you disarm their bombs without a fight.

Here's a shot of Singularity, my bonus power. Anything around the singularity loses mass and floats around helplessly for a certain amount of time. It basically breaks the game because most enemies are defenseless against it. It's fun to watch incidental objects like crates flying around.

2 down, 2 to go.

Shock Troopers are a bit tougher than regular Geth Troopers. They can put up hex shaped shields on the ground as impromptu cover. Hex shields can be destroyed with enough shots, but they can be annoying. The Geth here don't put up much of a fight though.

There's plenty of time to disarm the bombs. I've disarmed 3 bombs in only a minute twenty, and I wasn't particularly rushing.

Although the gimmick seems pointless with a lenient time limit, I actually like what they've done here. It adds some tension to this area the first time through the game since you don't know how long it's going to take.

If you're wondering, nothing special happens when you run down the time limit. The screen goes black, you hear an explosion sound, and you get the normal game over screen.

With all the bombs disarmed, the only thing left is the beacon. It's guarded by some husks.

They manage to kill Kaiden, who still hasn't been healed since he got hurt from the gas bag last update. Oops.

Right now we have no way of reviving party members during combat, but they'll pop back up after everything dies.

The beacon is straight ahead, but there are containers with items if you explore a bit.

:siren::siren:

: Something must have activated it.

Kaidan wanders close and the beacon pulls him in.

Damnit, not again! First Jenkins, then Nihlus, now this?

Nobody else is going to die on Shepard's watch. Well, at least not today.

We get a flash of... something.

The individual frames are really interesting to look at, but alas, some of them are spoilery. They're usually on the screen for a fraction of a second so you normally can't tell what they are.

The beacon straight up explodes. Hey, it didn't do that when Saren used it.

This is NOT going to look good on Shepard's service record.

Alright, we recovered the beacon! Nobody ever said it had to be in one piece. :saddowns:

NEXT TIME
Temper tantrums! And Shepard has a big mess to clean up.

CODEX ENTRIES

Aliens: Non-Council Races - Geth posted:

The geth are a humanoid race of networked A.I.s. They were created by the quarians 300 years ago as tools of labor and war. When the geth showed signs of self-evolution, the quarians attempted to exterminate them. The geth won the resulting war. This example has led to legal, systematic repression of artificial intelligences in galactic society.

The geth possess a unique distributed intelligence. An individual has rudimentary animal instincts, but as their numbers and proximity increase, the apparent intelligence of each individual improves. In groups, they can reason, analyze situations, and use tactics as well as any organic race.

Geth space is located at the trailing end of the Perseus Arm, beyond the lawless Terminus Systems. The Perseus Veil, an obscuring "dark nebula" of opaque gas and dust, lies between their space and the Terminus Systems.

Aliens: Non-Sapient Creatures - Husks posted:

After the geth secure a location, they round up and impale dead and living bodies on mechanical spikes. The spikes rapidly transform these victims into withered husks, extracting water and trace minerals and replacing them with cybernetics.

The cybernetics re-animate the lifeless flesh and tissue, transforming the bodies into mindless killing machines. Some Alliance soldiers refer to the husk-generating spikes as Dragon's Teeth, a reference to the mythological berserkers who sprang up from the earth wherever the teeth of the dragon Ares were planted.

Dragon's Teeth and husks bear little resemblance to other pieces of geth technology. No one is sure why a synthetic race would bother to drain the miniscule amount of recoverable resources from organic corpses, though the value of reusing them as shock troops is obvious.

Weapons, Armor and Equipment - Body Armor posted:

Combat hard-suits use a dual-layer system to protect the wearer. The inner layer consists of fabric armor with kinetic padding. Areas that don't need to be flexible, such as the chest or shins, are reinforced with sheets of lightweight ablative ceramic.

The outer layer consists of automatically-generated kinetic barriers. Objects traveling above a certain speed will trigger the barrier's reflex system and be deflected, provided there is enough energy left in the shield's power cell.

Armored hard-suits are sealable to protect the wearer from extremes of temperature and atmosphere. Standard equipment includes an onboard mini-frame and a communications, navigation, and sensing suite. The mini-frame is designed to accept and display data from a weapon's smart targeting system to make it easier to locate and eliminate enemies.

Weapons, Armor and Equipment - Kinetic Barriers ("Shields") posted:

Kinetic barriers, colloquially called "shields", provide protection against most mass accelerator weapons. Whether on a starship or a soldier's suit of armor, the basic principle remains the same.

Kinetic barriers are repulsive mass effect fields projected from tiny emitters. These shields safely deflect small objects traveling at rapid velocities. This affords protection from bullets and other dangerous projectiles, but still allows the user to sit down without knocking away their chair.

The shielding afforded by kinetic barriers does not protect against extremes of temperature, toxins, or radiation.

Technology - Upgrades posted:

The development of practical minifacturing omni-tools allows modern militaries a great deal of flexibility in equipment load-outs. A vast number of field modification kits, or "upgrades", are available for common equipment such as weapons, armor, omni-tools, biotic amps, and even grenades.

An upgrade kit typically consists of less than a dozen unique parts and an optical storage disc. When loaded into an omni-tool, the OSD provides all technical specifications required to manufacture the tool and additional parts necessary to install the upgrade onto another piece of equipment. Assembly is typically modular, and installation can be completed in less than a minute.

Since omni-tools are designed to use common battlefield salvage materials such as plastics, ceramics, and light materials (rendered into semi-molten "omni-gel" for quick use), it is quite possible for a trained soldier carrying upgrade kits to customize gear on the battlefield to fit the current tactical situation.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I remember that bomb disarming sequence getting kind of disproportionately harder on higher difficulties, since at least a couple of them are in places with poor or no cover, while the enemies can tear you to shreds with a few seconds of sustained fire and are a lot hardier. The end result of all that is the bomb timers being a lot less generous, and one hell of a hectic firefight that has a higher sense of urgency.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I remember being really confused by Turians when I first played. Nihlus has what looks like human skin beneath his...face jowls, so for like the first four or five hours I thought being a Spectre just meant that you got a weird mask. :downs:

bogger
Dec 28, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

I remember that bomb disarming sequence getting kind of disproportionately harder on higher difficulties, since at least a couple of them are in places with poor or no cover, while the enemies can tear you to shreds with a few seconds of sustained fire and are a lot hardier. The end result of all that is the bomb timers being a lot less generous, and one hell of a hectic firefight that has a higher sense of urgency.

I'm playing on "Normal" difficulty so things are pretty easy for the most part. I can see how you might get pinned down in a harder difficulty.

The earlier parts of the game are actually more difficult for me than later ones, mainly because you gain a lot of levels quickly but don't always have the equipment to back it up. The game scales up some enemies based on level (though not all of them). Once you get a certain level of gear and skills you're basically invincible.

Poque posted:

I remember being really confused by Turians when I first played. Nihlus has what looks like human skin beneath his...face jowls, so for like the first four or five hours I thought being a Spectre just meant that you got a weird mask.

It is a bit confusing because they introduce Turians and Spectres at the same time and talk about both in the early Normandy conversations. Having the first two Spectres you meet be Turian doesn't help.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Poque posted:

I remember being really confused by Turians when I first played. Nihlus has what looks like human skin beneath his...face jowls, so for like the first four or five hours I thought being a Spectre just meant that you got a weird mask. :downs:

well how did you parse the parts of the conversation when they talk about you potentially becoming the first human spectre?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Meis posted:

well how did you parse the parts of the conversation when they talk about you potentially becoming the first human spectre?

I probably ignored them, heh. I always felt like there was a lot more going on during those first few scenes than there probably was, and just figured that I'd understand it later.

bogger
Dec 28, 2008
Overall I think Mass Effect does a good job teaching a lot of new concepts at once. Consider: so far, we've learned about Mass Relays, the Normandy, the Alliance, galactic civilization, the Spectres, the Protheans, Geth, and of course the beacon. All of these are going to remain important for the rest of the game.

The plot still has plenty of mysteries left - it strikes a good balance between being understandable and being interesting.

bogger
Dec 28, 2008
Update 4: Normandy

Meanwhile, aboard the space lobster...

Saren looks like he has a headache. Maybe using the beacon was unpleasant for him too?

: It was under the command of Captain Anderson.

: They managed to save the colony.

The Matriarch's costume is completely ridiculous. She has the whole boob window thing going on and the crazy looking insect helmet. It's probably supposed to make her look evil and intimidating, but it comes off goofy more than anything.

Mass Effect takes a lot of inspiration from old sci-fi book covers and movies, and being chintzy is part of that. I still can't imagine this is what they were going for.

Saren starts throwing a literal temper tantrum.

Honestly it reminds me of a kid getting frustrated with a video game and throwing his controller around the room. Once again, not intimidating in the least.

C'mon Bioware, was this shot REALLY necessary?

Meanwhile, back on the Normandy...

Shepard has one hell of a hangover. I really like the camera angles in this scene.

: About fifteen hours. Something happened down there with the beacon, I think.

Well, it sort of is Kaidan's fault for getting near the thing. That being said, someone would have to get near it eventually to recover it, so I don't know how it could have been avoided.

: Actually, we don't even know if that's what set it off. Unfortunately, we'll never get the chance to find out.

: The beacon exploded. A system overload, maybe. The blast knocked you cold. Williams and I had to carry you back here to the ship.

We're being nice to Kaidan because reasons. Incidentally, if we were male Shepard, it would be Ashley wandering too close and having this conversation with us.

: Physically, you're fine. But I detected some unusual brain activity, abnormal beta waves.

: I also noticed an increase in your rapid eye movement, signs typically associated with intense dreaming.

: All the readings look normal. I'd say the commander's going to be fine.

: Glad to hear it. Shepard, I need to speak with you -- in private.

: Aye, aye, Captain. I'll be in the mess if you need me.

: Sounds like that beacon hit you pretty hard, Commander. You sure you're okay?

Being that this is alien technology nobody's ever seen before, it's hard to be sure of anything. Shepard changes the subject though.

: Did we leave Gunnery Chief Williams back on Eden Prime?

: I figured we could use a soldier like her. She's been reassigned to the Normandy.

: I don't want her on my ship.

Get used to Shepard being bitchy towards Ashley.

: I'm the captain of this ship, Commander, and I want Williams on our crew.

Anderson pretty much how you'd expect him to given you're questioning his orders. Shepard changes the topic again.

: Intel dropped the ball, sir. We had no idea what we were walking into down there. That's why things went to hell.

It has absolutely nothing to do with how poorly we handled the mission, no siree. That was all totally intel's fault.

: The geth haven't been seen outside the Veil in two centuries, Commander. Nobody could have predicted this.

: I don't like soldiers dying under my command.

: Jenkins wasn't your fault. You did a good job, Shepard.

Anderson is clearly trying to give a pep talk here, considering how the mission went. Soldiers dying is the reality of being a military commander. Doubly so if your name happens to be Shepard.

: You said you needed to see me in private, Captain?

: I won't lie to you, Shepard. Things look bad. Nihlus is dead. The beacon was destroyed and geth are invading. The Council's going to want answers.

: Saren's a Spectre, one of the best. A living legend. But if he's working with the geth, it means he's gone rogue.

: A rogue Spectre's trouble. Saren's dangerous. And he hates humans.

: Why?

: He thinks we're growing too fast, taking over the galaxy. A lot of aliens think that way. Most of them don't do anything about it.

: But Saren has allied himself with the geth. I don't know how. I don't know why. I only know it had something to do with that beacon.

: You were there just before the beacon self-destructed. Did you see anything? Any clue that might tell us what Saren was after?

: A vision? A vision of what?

: We need to report this to the Council, Shepard.

: What are we going to tell them? I had a bad dream?

This is a good point. At this point we know somewhere between jack and squat about what Shepard saw. Who says it even means anything? I mean, it's a videogame, so it does, but otherwise you could just assume it's some side effect of the beacon.

: We don't know what information was stored in that beacon. Lost Prothean technology? Blueprints for some ancient weapon of mass destruction? Whatever it was, Saren took it.

: But I know Saren. I know his reputation, his politics. He believes humans are a blight on the galaxy. This attack was an act of war!

: He has the secrets from the beacon. He has an army of geth at his command. And he won't stop until he's wiped humanity from the face of the galaxy!

Anderson is making a lot of assumptions here. Saren is clearly an antagonist, but at this point we have no idea what his motivations are.

: I'll find some way to take him down.

: It's not that easy. He's a Spectre. He can go anywhere, do almost anything. That's why we need the Council on our side.

: We prove Saren's gone rogue and the Council will revoke his Spectre status.

: I'll contact the ambassador and see if he can get us an audience with the Council. He'll want to see us as soon as we reach the Citadel.

: We should be getting close. Head on up to the bridge and tell Joker to bring us in to dock.

We're now free to explore the Normandy. The whole Normandy this time, not just the upper deck we saw at the beginning of the game. Most of this update is just going to be us tooling around the ship.

Naturally, we wake up in the med bay. Normally Dr. Chakwas is around here. The med bay is on deck 2.

Also on deck 2 is the mess hall, where Kaiden is at.

: Things were pretty rough down there.

: Yeah, you never get used to seeing dead civilians. Doesn't seem right, somehow. But at least you stopped Saren from wiping out the whole colony.

I guess those piddly little bombs we disarmed were enough to destroy the whole colony?

: I couldn't have done it without you.

I'm being nice to Kaidan for the time being because he's one of our romance options. I'll hold a vote for who we're romancing once we meet the second option.

: We're marines. We stick together. I'm just sorry we lost Jenkins.

: Yeah... I wish I could've done something to save him.

: I was there. You did everything right. It was just bad luck.

: It's been a hell of a shakedown cruise. Our first mission ends with one Spectre killing another.

: The Citadel Council's not gonna be happy about that. Probably use it to lever more concessions out of the Alliance.

: You've got a good grasp of the situation. You a career man?

: Yeah. A lot of biotics are. We're not restricted, but we sure don't go undocumented. May as well get a paycheck for it.

I never found Kaidan very interesting. He's a biotic and a marine. That's basically his entire characterization. He's voiced by Raphael Sbarge, who also did Carth Onasi in Knights of the Old Republic. Actually, now that I think about it, he's kind of distrustful in the same way Carth is too.

: Besides, my father served. Made him proud when I enlisted. Eventually. But is that why you're here? Because of your family?

Lookie, another reference to our Spacer background! I think that's actually only the second time it's been mentioned.

: I was a regular navy brat. I got a little more noteworthy than the folks expected.

: Ah, that's right, Akuze. I imagine that brought you any post in the fleet.

Wait, what? Yeah, it was amazing she survived, but I still don't see how that means you're fit for duty anywhere.

: Word is we're heading for the Citadel, ma'am. Can you tell me why?

: The captain hopes the Ambassador can get an audience with the Council. Tell them what Saren's been up to.

: Makes sense. They'd probably like to know he's not working for them anymore.

: Whatever happens, we'll be ready. Commander.

Dr. Chakwas is also standing in the area, so I chat her up.

: I enlisted right out of med school. Earth always seemed boring to me... too safe, too secure. I figured the colonies were teeming with exotic adventure.

: I wanted to travel the stars, tending the wounds of tough soldiers with piercing eyes and sensitive souls. Turns out military life isn't quite as romantic as I'd imagined.

: But humanity needs the Alliance if we want to keep expanding through the Traverse, and the Alliance always needs good doctors. So I stayed on to do my part.

: Ever think you made the wrong choice?

: Sometimes I think about opening a private practice back on Earth, or maybe taking a position at one of the new med centers out in the colonies.

: But there's something special about working on soldiers. If I left the Alliance now, I'd feel like I was abandoning them.

: What do you know about Captain Anderson?

: I've served with him for a few tours now. He knows when to let things slide and when to crack the whip.

: The crew knows he's seen pretty much anything they'll ever run into. And he cares about the people under his command.

Beyond being Shepard's mentor, Anderson is a good soldier in his own right. He was one of the first N7 graduates.

: How well do you know the lieutenant?

: I'd never worked with him before this mission. But he has an impressive service record. Over a dozen special commendations.

: Tends to keep to himself, tough. Maybe because of the headaches. It's not easy being an L2.

: What does that have to do with it?

: Well, most biotics now use the L3 implants. Lt. Alenko was wired with the old L2 configuration. Sometimes there are complications.

Human biotics require implants to use effectively, and implants can't be switched out without dangerous brain surgery. Needless to say, most biotics are stuck with whatever they were wired with initially, which usually happens at puberty.

: What kind of complications?

: Severe mental disabilities, insanity, crippling physical pain. There's a long list of horrific side effects. Kaidan's lucky. He just gets migranes.

: I should go.

There's an equipment locker right next to Chakwas. This is refilled periodically throughout the game, and usually has decent stuff in it.

Ashley's directly across from Dr. Chakwas. And we're going to be a complete bitch to her. It should illustrate the difference between Paragon and Renegade - the responses in the Kaidan conversation were Paragon.

: Akuze was a bloodbath. Even now, I don't know how I survived. I guess it just wasn't my time.

: With respect, sir, I think you had somebody watching over you.

Ashley is more interesting than Kaidan. She's a traditionalist living in a high-tech future, and her religion is part of that. I don't particularly like her, but at least she's not a cardboard cutout.

: Things were pretty rough down there. Are you okay?

At least they're finally acknowledging this.

: And you never get used to seeing dead civilians. But things would have been a lot worse if you hadn't showed up.

: Dead marines. Dead colonists. And in the end, we still didn't get that beacon.

Yeah, it wasn't exactly our finest moment.

: You saved a lot of lives, Commander. It might be hard to keep that in perspective with what happened to Jenkins.

: I'm not looking for a shoulder to cry on, Williams. Just stay focused on your job.

: Understood, ma'am.

The captain's cabin is directly behind where Ashley's standing. Anderson doesn't have anything to say right now.

Sleeping pods are on the same level in the back of the ship. In theory, the crew rotates shifts and shares the pods. In practice I've never seen anyone sleeping in one of these things.

An elevator takes us down to the cargo bay. Mass Effect loves its elevators, and this may be the most infamous one because it traverses such a short height and moves very slowly.

In reality, the elevators are there to disguise load time. I guess the idea was that they didn't want to break immersion with a loading screen. I guess that's what you get when you develop first for the XBox 360. My gaming PC from 2012 can load the whole room pretty much instantly, but unfortunately I have to wait for the elevator anyway.

Inside the cargo bay is this guy, who sells us equipment. He has a long speel about what he does, but basically, he sells random stuff and changes his inventory every so often. You can pick up licenses around the universe that unlock different manufacturers to widen his possible inventory.

While I'm here, I pick up Medigel and Grenade upgrades, which let us carry more Medigel and Grenades respectively.

There's not much else in the cargo bay for now, so I head to the adjacent engine room. I wish my car ran on one of these things.

Engineer Adams was the one arguing with Navigator Pressly over the intercom in the first update. He doesn't have much to say right now.

We're done with the lower decks, so take the slow elevator and head up to the top deck. This is where we started the game, so you pretty much know how it looks.

The Normandy takes the mass relay out of the system and into a nebula.

This is the Citadel, the heart of galactic civilization.

: Well, size isn't everything.

: I'm just saying you need firepower, too.

Shouldn't that be "its" main gun? I wonder how many typos I'm going to find on the subtitles.

: Good thing it's on our side, then.

: Citadel Control, this is SSV Normandy requesting permission to land.

This shot gives you a pretty good idea of how the Citadel is laid out. The giant arms are called the Wards, the center ring connecting everything is the Presidium, and line going to the middle is Citadel Tower, where the Council meets. We'll be visiting all these places soon.

NEXT TIME
I hope you like :words:

CODEX ENTRIES

Citadel and Galactic Government - Citadel posted:

The Citadel is an ancient deep-space station, presumably constructed by the Protheans. Since the Prothean extinction, numerous species have come to call the Citadel home. It serves as the political, cultural, and financial capital of the galactic community. To represent their interests, most species maintain embassies on the Presidium, the Citadel's inner ring.

The Citadel Tower, in the center of the Presidium, holds the Citadel Council chambers. Council affairs often have far-reaching effects on the rest of the galactic community. Five arms, known as the wards, extend from the Presidium. Their inner surfaces have been built into cities, populated by millions of inhabitants from across the galaxy.

The Citadel is virtually indestructible. If attacked, the station can close its arms to form a solid, impregnable shell. For as long as the station has existed, an enigmatic race called the keepers has maintained it.

Citadel and Galactic Government - Citadel Council posted:

The Council is an executive committee composed of representatives from the Asari Republics, the Turian Hierarchy, and the Salarian Union. Though they have no official power over the independent governments of other species, the Council's decisions carry great weight throughout the galaxy. No single Council race is strong enough to defy the other two, and all have a vested interest in compromise and cooperation.

Each of the council species has general characteristics associated with the various aspects of governing the galaxy. The asari are typically seen as diplomats and mediators. The salarians gather intelligence and information. The turians provide the bulk of the military and peacekeeping forces.

Any species granted an embassy on the Citadel is considered an associate member, bound by the accords of the Citadel Conventions. Associate members may bring issues to the attention of the Council, though they have no input on the decision. The human Systems Alliance became an associate member of the Citadel in 2165.

Technology - Biotics posted:

Biotics is the ability of rare individuals to manipulate dark energy and create mass effect fields through the use of electrical impulses from the brain. Intense training and surgically-implanted amplifiers are necessary for a biotic to produce mass effect fields powerful enough for practical use. The relative strength of biotic abilities varies greatly among species and with each individual.

There are three branches of biotics. TELEKINESIS uses mass-lowering fields to levitate or impel objects. Mass-raising KINETIC FIELDS are used to block or pin objects. DISTORTION uses rapidly shifting mass fields to shred objects.

Most organic species are capable of developing biotic abilities, though there are risks involved. Biotics are the result of in-utero exposure to element zero. This usually causes fatal cancers in the victim, but in rare cases it coalesces into nodules within the fetus's developing nervous system.

Technology - Element Zero ("Eezo") posted:

When subjected to an electrical current, the rare material dubbed element zero, or "eezo", emits a dark energy field that raises or lowers the mass of all objects within it. This "mass effect" is used in countless ways, from generating artificial gravity to manufacturing high-strength construction materials. It is most prominently used to enable faster-than-light space travel.

Eezo is generated when solid matter, such as a planet, is affected by the energy of a star going supernova. The material is common in the asteroid debris that orbit neutron stars and pulsars. These are dangerous places to mine, requiring extensive use of robotics, telepresence, and shielding to survive the incredible radiation from the dead star. Only a few major corporations can afford the set-up costs required to work these primary sources.

Humanity discovered refined element zero at the Prothean research station on Mars, allowing them to create mass effect fields and develop FTL travel.

Technology - Mass Effect Fields posted:

Element zero can increase or decrease the mass of a volume of space-time when subjected to an electrical current. With a positive current, mass is increased. With a negative current, mass is decreased. The stronger the current, the greater the magnitude of the dark energy mass effect.

In space, low-mass fields allow FTL travel and inexpensive surface-to-orbit transit. High-mass fields create artificial gravity and push space debris away from vessels. In manufacturing low-mass fields permit the creation of evenly-blended alloys, while high mass compaction creates dense, sturdy construction materials.

The military makes extensive use of mobility enhancing technologies, with mass effect utilizing fighting vehicles standard front-line issue in most military forces. Mass effect fields are also essential in the creation of kinetic barriers or shields to protect against enemy fire.

Technology - Omni-tool posted:

Omni-tools are handheld devices that combine a computer microframe, sensor analysis pack, and minifacturing fabricator. Versatile and reliable, an omni-tool can be used to analyze and adjust the functionality of most standard equipment, including weapons and armor, from a distance.

The fabrication module can rapidly assemble small three-dimensional objects from common, reusable industrial plastics, ceramics, and light alloys. This allows for field repairs and modifications to most standard items, as well as the reuse of salvaged equipment.

Omni-tools are standard issue for soldiers and first-in colonists.

Citadel and Galactic Government - Citadel Station: Statistics posted:

Although the Citadel is equipped with mass-effect-generating element zero cores, most of the gravity on the station is generated by the centrifugal force of rotation.

Rotation: 3.5 minutes per revolution
Rotational Gravity in Wards: 1.02 Earth
Rotational Gravity in Presidium: 0.3 Earth
Total Length (Open): 44.7 km
Diameter (Open): 12.8km
Ward Length: 43.6km
Ward Width: 330m
Presidium Ring Diameter: 7.2 km
Presidium Ring Width: 553 m
Exterior Armor Thickness: 13 m
Population: 13.2 million (not including keepers)
Gross Mass: 7.11 billion metric tons
Height of the Presidium Tower: 1047 m

Humanity and the Systems Alliance - Systems Alliance: Military Jargon posted:

ashore - When a ship's crew leaves the vessel, they are "ashore". Though normally used regarding planets, it can refer to boarding a space station.

aweigh - When a ship releases the equipment tethering it to a space station or surface dock, it is "aweigh".

aye, aye - The proper way to acknowledge an order. If told to attack the correct response is "Aye, aye, sir." If asked "Are you proud to be a marine?" the correct response is "Yes, sir."

ASAP - Pronounced "a-sap", an acronym of "as soon as possible".

belay - Stop, cease.

bridge - The navigation center of a spacecraft, where the steering is done.

captain's mast - Non-judicial disciplinary proceedings by unit commanders.

CIC - Combat Information Center, the command center of a spacecraft. The CIC is filled with sensor displays to make sense out of the chaos of combat.

DC - Damage Control. The containment and repair of damage to a spacecraft.

ECM - Electronic Counter-Measures used to avoid enemy sensors, from passive emissions masking to active jamming.

EVA - Extra-Vehicular Activity. Time spent in a pressure suit, outside of a vehicle, spacecraft, or station.

flank - The flank is the "side" of a military formation. Since the soldiers are facing elsewhere, an enemy that can attack on the flank can often "turn it" or "roll it up".

FNG - "Freaking" New Guy(s). A derisive term for inexperienced personnel.

groundside - The surface of a planet.

helmsman - The crewmember who pilots the spacecraft.

ladar - Light-amplified detection and ranging. An active sensor that bounces lasers off an object to determine its bearing and distance. Ladar has sufficient resolution that the data can be reconstructed into an image.

shore party - Spacecraft's crew sent ashore on official business.

silent running - An old submariner's term used aboard the Normandy to denote when stealth systems are active.

sitrep - Abbreviation of "situation report", an evaluation of the current military situation.

spacer - Someone who has spent most of their life in space.

XO - Executive Officer, the second-in-command of an Alliance warship. The XO is responsible for administrative and personnel matters.

Humanity and the Systems Alliance - Systems Alliance: N7 posted:

The Alliance Military Vocational Code system classifies the career path of all serving personnel. The MVC consists of one letter and one number. A soldier's MVC indicates proficiency, not rank. The letter notes career path; the number indicates level of experience, as indicated by service record, technical scores, and commendations. All 26 letters are used, and numbers run from 1 to 7. N is the letter code for Special Forces personnel.

Technology - Biotics: Biotic Amps posted:

Biotics manipulate mass effect fields using dozens of element zero nodules within their nervous system that react to electric stimuli from the brain. Amplifiers allow biotics to synchronize the nodules so they can form fields large and strong enough for practical use. Amplifiers can improve a specific discipline or talent.

An implant is surgically-embedded interface port into which amps are "plugged in". On humans, the implant is usually placed at the base of the skull for convenient access, though the user must be careful to keep it free of contaminants.

Implant ports can fit a variety of amps, and there is a growing market for modifications and add-ons. The finest quality implants and amps are manufactured by asari artisans, but the Alliance's L3 implants - first deployed in 2170 - are a significant step forward.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I instantly recognized Kaiden's voice actor and hated him from the second he opened his mouth.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh Shepard, I do not trust you! I cannot trust you, or anyone, ever again!

O another note, the Matriarch being introduced as a pair of disembodied breasts is real Bioware class.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I'll admit to still laughing whenever I see Saren's temper tantrum. It wasn't until way later on in the game that I started seeing him as a credible threat after that, and even that didn't last for long.

I also want to praise ME2 a bit for letting non-squad crew mates be at least semi-relevant beyond the first time you talk to them. So far as I'm aware, Chakwas and the rest never get any additional dialogue beyond this point.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I believe Joker is the only non-squadmate that gets extra dialogue and it is just ice-breaker stuff after story missions. However I still find them entertaining so I always like to visit him after the story planets :3:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Xander77 posted:

O another note, the Matriarch being introduced as a pair of disembodied breasts is real Bioware class.

Disembodied breasts and Marina Sirtis. It's funny, cos most of the time I'm terrible at recognising voice actors, but I can't hear Matriarch Benezia as anyone other than Counselor Troi. Bang goes my immersion!
Also Michael Dorn in the second game. He's perfectly cast, but he's still Worf rather than the guy he's actually playing.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I'll admit to still laughing whenever I see Saren's temper tantrum. It wasn't until way later on in the game that I started seeing him as a credible threat after that, and even that didn't last for long.

I also want to praise ME2 a bit for letting non-squad crew mates be at least semi-relevant beyond the first time you talk to them. So far as I'm aware, Chakwas and the rest never get any additional dialogue beyond this point.

Adams get's a little bit more after the Citadel...but yeah.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

inflatablefish posted:

Disembodied breasts and Marina Sirtis. It's funny, cos most of the time I'm terrible at recognising voice actors, but I can't hear Matriarch Benezia as anyone other than Counselor Troi. Bang goes my immersion!
Not Seth Green? I spotted Keith David quickly thanks to having played Saints Row IV fairly recently, but I haven't heard Seth Green's voice in years and it jumped right out at me. Joker pretty much is Oz from Buffy (except I guess probably not a werewolf).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
A quick note about weapon proficiency that hasn't been gone over in the previous tutorial - Not only do you have poo poo-all for accuracy with the weapon classes you're not proficient in (in our Shepard's case, all but pistols), you can't even look down the sights to increase your accuracy, either - this even includes being unable to use a sniper rifle's scope!

This doesn't mean you're out of the woods if you're a Soldier, either. Even if you're proficient, you can't use ironsights or the scope if you're almost dead - when your health bar shows a red/black flashing heart monitor readout and the edges of the screen go red.

In voice actor talk, because I've played Jedi Outcast, I couldn't help but wonder why Mon Mothma was the Normandy's doctor.

• Locked thread