Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Problem description: I recently (a week ago) bought a GTX 750 Ti to replace my Radeon HD 6870. After installation (I removed the AMD drivers beforehand with http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/) the 750 worked fine with the latest drivers and such. However, today I installed a new CPU cooler (Hyper 212 EVO), which necessitated removing the motherboard from the case, unplugging all the cables, the RAM, and the 750. After putting the cooler on and reattaching everything, everything seemed to be working. However, I noticed that Aero wasn't enabled (Windows 7) and ran a Windows diagnosis, which told me my GPU drivers didn't support Aero. I downloaded and installed the drivers from Nvidia again, same version as before. When I restarted my computer, everything seemed normal until the point where the login screen is supposed to come up, after the whole "Windows is loading" screen. The screen goes black, and my monitor starts acting as if there is no input. My computer will only boot in safe mode.

Attempted fixes: Switched the PCI slot the 750 is in, uninstalled the drivers using this again: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ , re-installed them, tried using old drivers.

Recent changes: The ones described above.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit

System specs: CPU: i5-2500
RAM: 8 GB Corsair 1333 Mhz
GPU: GTX 750 Ti
Motherboard: H77M

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
What power supply do you have? Can you boot regular with the integrated graphics? Try and swap your old card back in and see if you can boot regularly.

Also, what case are you using the made you have to disassemble everything?

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
And did you double check the card is firmly seated, the gpu power cables connected and that kind of stuff? It sounds like something is messed up with the 750 and/or slots

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The new card doesn't require any power cables, and I made sure the card was completely in the slot, with both slots. I put in my old Radeon and it works fine. I've forgotten what the case model is, it's a pretty cheap ($30 I think?) model, and there was a plate below the motherboard that prevented me from the installing the new cooler's backplate.

Power supply is a SeaSonic 520W

The new card also works with no drivers installed

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 25, 2014

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I would return the new video card and just tell them that it is not working after installing the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

The Gardenator posted:

I would return the new video card and just tell them that it is not working after installing the driver.

Alright :(. Thanks for the help

• Locked thread