Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know exactly what is wrong here, using Windows 8.1. I was editing a panoramic and outputted to a .PNG file and what the hell is with the color shift? I am not sure if the issue is a display color profile or some other issue I am not thinking of? I got to the point of removing the PNG meta data and after I do that it renders the same as the BMP.

Any help would be highly appreciated, this issue is driving me mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Some kind of screwy .icc file? Maybe the PNG file has some kind of embedded colour calibration?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Does it do the same thing when you open it in paint?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Paint does not load the size files I am trying to preview.. It is some wacky ICC stuff going on, I downloaded a PNG ICC stripper program and stripped the ICC infos and it rendered properly with Windows Photo Viewer.. BUT now other programs call the file corrupt. ARRG, this is so odd.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If you open it in slideshow view does it display correctly? I've seen this before (in my case with a huge green shift), and from what I can remember from trying to fix it, Photo Viewer doesn't like certain ICC profiles when in a window, but fullscreen it's fine. I never saw any problems with other applications though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redeyes posted:

I don't know exactly what is wrong here, using Windows 8.1. I was editing a panoramic and outputted to a .PNG file and what the hell is with the color shift? I am not sure if the issue is a display color profile or some other issue I am not thinking of? I got to the point of removing the PNG meta data and after I do that it renders the same as the BMP.

Any help would be highly appreciated, this issue is driving me mad.

Start > color management

Remove whatever colour profile is currently there for the screen affected, and see if it helps. Unless you've calibrated it specifically, but then you can always add the profile back in.

It's probably reading the file with colour gamut data in, and then outputting the levels differently.

I find removing all monitor colour profiles resets the colour settings so nothing should be getting shifted.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

Start > color management

Remove whatever colour profile is currently there for the screen affected, and see if it helps. Unless you've calibrated it specifically, but then you can always add the profile back in.

It's probably reading the file with colour gamut data in, and then outputting the levels differently.

I find removing all monitor colour profiles resets the colour settings so nothing should be getting shifted.

Something is not right with my Color management. The only thing that makes any difference is doing the Windows monitor calibration and then applying that profile to my monitor. Any other selection does NOTHING?!!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Scikar posted:

If you open it in slideshow view does it display correctly? I've seen this before (in my case with a huge green shift), and from what I can remember from trying to fix it, Photo Viewer doesn't like certain ICC profiles when in a window, but fullscreen it's fine. I never saw any problems with other applications though.

What the hell? Yes this works, fullscreen slideshow is normal, windowed is messed up colors.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've yet to see a display ICC profile work correctly. Usually, if it's installed, it turns images either bluish or pinkish (with apps that use it, anyway). I've never found the voodoo setting on my Samsung displays, that'd render an image worked through their ICC profile with the correct colors on the screen.

Just remove the original profiles, and optionally run Windows' color calibration and create your own, if you think things are way off without profile. Unless you're working in print (directly or indirectly), there's probably no real need for an ICC profile. Most consumer displays are set up all over the place, anyway, so there's nothing to target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've yet to see a display ICC profile work correctly. Usually, if it's installed, it turns images either bluish or pinkish (with apps that use it, anyway). I've never found the voodoo setting on my Samsung displays, that'd render an image worked through their ICC profile with the correct colors on the screen.

Just remove the original profiles, and optionally run Windows' color calibration and create your own, if you think things are way off without profile. Unless you're working in print (directly or indirectly), there's probably no real need for an ICC profile. Most consumer displays are set up all over the place, anyway, so there's nothing to target.

Yeah I cannot get the ICC stuff to work at all other than the self calibration thing. I am thinking that my generic ASUS monitor is just too crappy for anyone to develop a correct working ICC profile. To get around the problem I have to use non-icc graphics file types.

• Locked thread