Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
0dB
Jan 3, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

blurry, shaky VHS recordings as our main source for UFO sightings

Yeah and people still buy vinyl records for gently caress sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

For real though, the prevalence of video cameras and social media combined with crippling scientific ignorance is making belief in aliens and cryptid creatures much much more widespread rather than debunking them, especially when the news media loves reporting on them whenever they come up. We've got weird looking but explainable animal corpses that regularly freak people out, stills from old horror films freaking everyone out, hoaxers trying their hardest to fool everyone and they're all made to look like footage captured on people's cell phones. There was a great hoax a few years ago about a UFO appearing over Temple Mount in Jerusalem where they made several fake videos of the same 'event' shot from several different angles and released a few days apart. There was also the guy who set up a video camera next to an empty field and claimed that the bugs flying over the field were really UFOs buzzing over the city which got a shitload of press and had a lot of people confused for ages.

And we'll always have sad motherfuckers who so desperately want these mysteries to be real that they'll claim that even the blurriest, most insignificant details in random videos are actually highly significant and will FINALLY PROVE SCIENCE WRONG :argh: and convince the entire world that the believer was right all this time, such as this guy who freezes videos and zooms in on random pixels and claims that they're bigfoot faces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKB-yx5PM0M
In this follow up video he acknowledges that pareidolia is an issue and he might just be seeing faces in random patterns and his solution to this is to create a database of all these faces so he can cross reference them and see which ones keep coming up because that'll prove that they're genuine. Because confirmation bias is just as good as actual data, right? :downs:

And then there's people who are posting compelling evidence about stuff like the HAARP rainbow aerosol conspiracy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6HsiixFS8

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I've been nerding out over UFOs for a long-rear end time and the two most convincing video(s) I've ever see that don't set off my bullshit alarm are the two taken of this single event in the video below. I can't find the english version so I hope you don't mind spanish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lKVXbeLHfg

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Handen posted:

I've been nerding out over UFOs for a long-rear end time and the two most convincing video(s) I've ever see that don't set off my bullshit alarm are the two taken of this single event in the video below. I can't find the english version so I hope you don't mind spanish.

Looks like a kite train to me.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Jupiter cyclops winks at me

Yeah, he knows who's drivin'.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

For real though, the prevalence of video cameras and social media combined with crippling scientific ignorance is making belief in aliens and cryptid creatures much much more widespread rather than debunking them, especially when the news media loves reporting on them whenever they come up. We've got weird looking but explainable animal corpses that regularly freak people out, stills from old horror films freaking everyone out, hoaxers trying their hardest to fool everyone and they're all made to look like footage captured on people's cell phones. There was a great hoax a few years ago about a UFO appearing over Temple Mount in Jerusalem where they made several fake videos of the same 'event' shot from several different angles and released a few days apart. There was also the guy who set up a video camera next to an empty field and claimed that the bugs flying over the field were really UFOs buzzing over the city which got a shitload of press and had a lot of people confused for ages.

And we'll always have sad motherfuckers who so desperately want these mysteries to be real that they'll claim that even the blurriest, most insignificant details in random videos are actually highly significant and will FINALLY PROVE SCIENCE WRONG :argh: and convince the entire world that the believer was right all this time, such as this guy who freezes videos and zooms in on random pixels and claims that they're bigfoot faces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKB-yx5PM0M
In this follow up video he acknowledges that pareidolia is an issue and he might just be seeing faces in random patterns and his solution to this is to create a database of all these faces so he can cross reference them and see which ones keep coming up because that'll prove that they're genuine. Because confirmation bias is just as good as actual data, right? :downs:

And then there's people who are posting compelling evidence about stuff like the HAARP rainbow aerosol conspiracy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6HsiixFS8

Holy poo poo. Thanks for the great post, that bug video was hilarious.

megapuppy
Jun 21, 2006

Mastiff Logistics left my package in the rain
I did the VFX on this Pendulum video - which predictably drew out lots of crazies at the time. All the UFO shots we did for it ran way longer than were used in the final cut, so perhaps for shits 'n' giggles I should release the "uncensored full length" versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ady6s51eAT8

Oh - and the king of fake UFO vids is still The Faking Hoaxer. Hilariously, even though he's completely upfront about all his videos being done in photoshop and after effects, the UFO nuts totally think he's lying and they're real!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFakingHoaxer

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Handen posted:

you are stupid as hell. the very fact that it purports to be a video of a ufo should immediately set off a normal human beings bullshit alarm

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Wizard of Poz posted:

you are stupid as hell. the very fact that it purports to be a video of a ufo should immediately set off a normal human beings bullshit alarm

It was an object which was flying and it hadn't been identified so that makes it a UFO by definition. :colbert:

Well, it was unidentified until Handen posted it in this thread and I identified it as a kite so I guess it's an IFO now.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

ayy lmao

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I personally am partially fond of the super religious Muslim movies about Djinn that use light arabic muslim music rap when they play religious quotes about Djinn and salvation from em.

I can't find the specific one but heres another user who posts this poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HUk-h1JEJU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Best Alien video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQHQL--_oCE

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

the gun blowjob was arousing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also everyone you see on TV is a reptilian shapeshifter. Everyone. Every. Single. Person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty3JLDAIPdI

Especially Niki Minaj. If you had any doubt here's a 16 minute video compilation of closeups of her eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFrQA75crQ

The evidence is right there in front of you, wake up sheeple
:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I'd bang a lizard person. Just imagine that tongue.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay, all that other stuff might be fake bullshit but at least we know that spirit orbs are real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOyCt7kNATY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-VRLzV8EqA

Spirit orb science has progressed so far that we now know the significance of the different sizes and colours of these otherworldly orbs:

quote:

Black: Malevolent
Blue (dark): Shy spirit
Blue (light): Tranquil, peace
Blue (medium): Protection
Brown: Danger or earthbound
Gold: Angelic, unconditional love
Green: Healing orb or spirit
Lavender: Messenger from God
Orange: Protection, forgiveness
Peach: Spirit sent to comfort you
Pink: Accepting spirit
Purple: Orb of information
Red: Anger or passion
Silver: Messenger
Violet: Guide for spiritual matters
White: Protection of holy light and power
Yellow: Warning

Anyone who points out that they're just a well known photographic artifact caused by backscatter /near-camera reflections of dust or moisture or tiny bugs is a horrible monster who is actively trying to impede the spiritual awakening of the human race and should be ignored. :colbert:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The best part is reality is far more interesting and imaginative than people who make UFO videos.

Like when that Russian missile freaked out and made that spiral pattern in the sky. But nope, it can't be some cool physical consequence of uncontrollable factors and machine errors, it's actually HAARP or some other dumb poo poo that doesn't exist.

I have an uncle who moved to Peru from the US because he thought the government was after him (him being someone who believes aliens/ufos/ghosts/magic/bigfoot/lizard people/angels exist, and also consequently being a nobody). I had him friended on Facebook for a bit (before I knew he was crazy), and he started posting stuff on my wall like "Hey, I hear you're studying physics! Check out this cool science video" and then it would be stuff about telepathic grey aliens and "quantum mechanics determining thought patterns" or some other bullshit.

He also posted great pictures, like this one which he captioned "YOU ARE THE FIRST TO SEE THIS!!! A UFO in my photo..... See on left side of photo." Hmm, yes. Compelling evidence there, sir.

edit: ugh, just ruined my morning. Started reading the description for a similar spiral missile video and it says "The Russian Government's claim, that this was a failed missile launch, is not true, as it is physically impossible for one missile to create the visual effect seen in the Norwegian Spiral Anomaly."

Hmm, so that's not physically possible, but it's totally plausible that it's actually a Stargate portal being opened by an alien spacecraft. Right.

Fríða Líf Vignisdóttir posted:

Does anyone else think this looks like a black hole swallowing a star?

I've read some things and seen pictures of black holes being visible from Earth.. I don't know if it's true but none were so big.
I know it's the Russian mission but it just seems so weird.

Scout Bjorn posted:

För Helvete! I looked it up and that seems to be a better explanation than a missile.

:suicide:

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 25, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Verisimilidude posted:

The best part is reality is far more interesting and imaginative than people who make UFO videos.

Yeah, this. The thought pattern behind believing in UFOs/bigfoot/ghosts/spirit orbs/etc is verrrrry similar to the mindset required to believe in conspiracy theories and they often cross over a whole lot. Take a bunch of unverifiable untestable anecdotal evidence from witnesses who saw something while they were in a heightened emotional state, sprinkle in a bunch of blurry indistinct photographic/video evidence (often requiring the videos to be slowed down and zoomed in and have big red circles added so others can see what you think is there), throw together some spurious unprovable theory to explain it all, dismiss all attempts to fit a mundane explanation to the 'evidence' as close-minded sheeple refusing to see past scientific 'dogma' and you're good to go. Anecdotal evidence is totally reliable since there's thousands of reports of this thing and there's reports going back years and even the local indigenous population has legends that are really similar therefore there has to be something behind all this, right? (Ignore the fact that brand new supernatural creatures such the the Chupacabra and Slenderman also fit into all these descriptions even though we can trace their origin back to a known fictional source.) The rest of the world might be too blind to put it all together but the true believer joined the dots and made all the connections and totally figured out what was really going on and it's only a matter of time before irrefutable evidence comes to hand and then everyone else will have to admit that they were wrong and the true believer was right!

Arguing with these people really feels like trying to argue with a Young Earth Creationist or Conspiracy Theorist. They'll drag up one 'fact' and make a spurious argument as to why the Scientific Establishment is totally wrong in its interpretation of that ambiguous situation (they always talk about the various fields of scientific endeavour as if they're one big incorporated entity which presents a united front on all matters and refuses to consider opposing opinions. They also often compare themselves to Galileo) and because reality is intricately complex and diverse it can take thousands and thousands of words just to disprove one dumb sentence and by the time you've finished that they've either dug up yet another spurious 'fact' or they've pounced onto one tiny part of your argument and posted 25 links to conspiracy sites that apparently disprove it. They love posting links to conspiracy sites or unverified 120 year old articles from obscure smalltown newspapers or 'documentaries' from the History Channel as 'evidence' to back up their arguments and they obviously spend hours and hours every week consuming all those things but steadfastly ignoring genuine scientific research on related topics.

Sorry to rant but that mentality drives me crazy as well. Verisimilidude and I should start a support group.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SatansBestBuddy posted:

My phone can capture in 1080p and yet we're still getting blurry, shaky VHS recordings as our main source for UFO sightings

This one is great cause they're all so staged

I'll give this one credit, he had enough sense to pull over rather than keep driving

And I've saved the best for last, this one had me in stitches from laughter

I'm probably gonna get conspiracy theories clogging up my recommended videos for months now.

probs because its very easy now to make a crystal clear hd video w/ a big spooky alien ufo floating around that looks real but if it's all grainy and shaky and awful it feels more real because why the gently caress would some drunk slav in the middle of the woods have a hd camera laying around anyway

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Robo Reagan posted:

probs because its very easy now to make a crystal clear hd video w/ a big spooky alien ufo floating around that looks real but if it's all grainy and shaky and awful it feels more real because why the gently caress would some drunk slav in the middle of the woods have a hd camera laying around anyway

Yeah, hoaxers actually have a bunch of techniques for degenerating footage to make it shakier and blurrier so it feels more authentic. One of the videos I posted earlier was debunked when the hoaxers got a bit sloppy:

quote:

Effects of the video processing software are clearly seen. The hoaxer used Motion Tile effects with edge mirroring to introduce camera shake into the video. You can see the mirroring effects along the edge of the video.

This footage of a live mammoth is another good example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDoVAM6NdrA
It even has a fascinating bullshit story attached to explain where the video came from!

quote:

After the conclusion of the WW2 Battle of Stalingrad, Nazi Party member and official photographer for the NSDAP, Holger Hildebrand, was captured by the Red Army at the Battle of Stalingrad. He and thousands of other Wehrmacht soldiers were later sent on a death march towards Siberia; this mammoth footage is understood to have been taken during that journey. (Hildebrand is believed to have died a prisoner of war at a Soviet forced labor camp in late 1945. His Granddaughter later came into possession of the footage when his belongings were repatriated to Germany from Russia decades after his death.)
It was argued over for months and months by various interested parties until someone pointed out the footage was from the BBC documentary series Walking with Beasts with a few filters added to it to make it seem like grainy old film footage.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also everyone you see on TV is a reptilian shapeshifter. Everyone. Every. Single. Person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty3JLDAIPdI

"i dont think he is an alien but i know he has to do something with the devil and the illuminati"

Just for one day I want to live these people's lives so I can feel the enormous amount of willpower and intelligence it takes to be like "You know what? The president ISN'T a lizard alien. He's a demon and or a part of the illuminati."

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

It makes me wonder who makes these ufo videos. Is it the conspiracy theorists themselves, or is it people doing it for fun and conspiracy theorists latch onto them? like what compels someone to make a video that totally proves wooly mammoths still exist and that fact is being kept from the public by the government?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

It makes me wonder who makes these ufo videos. Is it the conspiracy theorists themselves, or is it people doing it for fun and conspiracy theorists latch onto them? like what compels someone to make a video that totally proves wooly mammoths still exist and that fact is being kept from the public by the government?

because it's hilarious

Val
Jul 11, 2003

Because space travel using actual space is ridiculous - it literally takes forever. Anyone smart enough to travel these distances would use a higher dimension where the two desired points somehow intersect.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Verisimilidude posted:

Most likely fun. A lot of people enjoy doing video effects in their free time. Really good video effects programs are only a Pirate Bay search away and can be really fun to play around with.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

Is it possible to cuck an alien?

kirk cucked first

deviler
Feb 20, 2007

Let's take this star craft out of dry dock, shall we?
I'll never understand the people who totally buy into these. I've known a few people who are really into it, and I just want to ask them what their criteria for believing in something is. Like, I've heard it all. You know that scene in The Lion King where the artists thought it would be funny to have the dust right the word "SEX" for a split second? That's the illuminati trying to turn the youth into sex-addicted drones when they grow up. Pyramids? Aliens. Vaccines? Autism. Science? Close-minded because it won't consider explanations without physical evidence. I really want to ask these people, if you don't need physical evidence to convince you of something, couldn't I convince you of literally anything if I conveyed it a certain way? Maybe all that flouride in the water and chemtrails are blocking my peneal gland from letting me see through my third eye like our spiritual alien lords intended.

rootphreak
May 16, 2008

HO HO HO
SPREAD EM FOR SANTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFYgMX6dsj8

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
My dick captured a UFO trying to sneak into my urethra, the only way to get it out is to suck on it but it only travels outside in a thick viscous discharge

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

out of the blue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IACPcSDQlRM

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

"i dont think he is an alien but i know he has to do something with the devil and the illuminati"

Just for one day I want to live these people's lives so I can feel the enormous amount of willpower and intelligence it takes to be like "You know what? The president ISN'T a lizard alien. He's a demon and or a part of the illuminati."

conservative conspiracy theories are boring because they're always the same "The Bible is real and the end times have begun!" broken record.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

deviler posted:

I'll never understand the people who totally buy into these. I've known a few people who are really into it, and I just want to ask them what their criteria for believing in something is. Like, I've heard it all. You know that scene in The Lion King where the artists thought it would be funny to have the dust right the word "SEX" for a split second? That's the illuminati trying to turn the youth into sex-addicted drones when they grow up. Pyramids? Aliens. Vaccines? Autism. Science? Close-minded because it won't consider explanations without physical evidence. I really want to ask these people, if you don't need physical evidence to convince you of something, couldn't I convince you of literally anything if I conveyed it a certain way? Maybe all that flouride in the water and chemtrails are blocking my peneal gland from letting me see through my third eye like our spiritual alien lords intended.

your brain is high in cholesterol, and sodium fluoride adds savor to the marinade, ぴぴるぴるぴぴるぴぃ

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

megapuppy posted:

I did the VFX on this Pendulum video - which predictably drew out lots of crazies at the time. All the UFO shots we did for it ran way longer than were used in the final cut, so perhaps for shits 'n' giggles I should release the "uncensored full length" versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ady6s51eAT8

that video n song are both cool as hell

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming

My favorite part is how the look and description of UFOs changes over time as well. i.e. The craft from the above "sightings" and the craft from sightings today look completely different. It's almost as if it's all fake and the style of UFO's is just a product of the zeitgeist of the era!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Verisimilidude posted:

Centre national d'animation et de design in Canada has a course in 3D animation and every year they set their students an assignment to create a viral video. Past hoaxes have included a golden eagle snatching a child in a park and an escaped zoo penguin and they're probably also responsible for this lovely 6 second bigfoot video. No doubt they're responsible for a few dodgy UFO videos as well.

AngrySpork posted:

My favorite part is how the look and description of UFOs changes over time as well. i.e. The craft from the above "sightings" and the craft from sightings today look completely different. It's almost as if it's all fake and the style of UFO's is just a product of the zeitgeist of the era!

There was a wave of UFO sightings in 1896-1897 and some of them were saucer shaped or cigar shaped and made out of metal but some were made out of wood and had propellers or were even powered by guys pedalling bicycles.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
The reason UFO styles change through history is pretty obviously due to the evolving design aesthetics of the nazi scientists who build them

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

This is the best scary video ever. Jump to 15 minutes in for the good part
http://youtu.be/EU2AIxkxiwg
It will scare the poo poo outta you

lol

"GET OUT OF HERE!"

:tutbutt:

so great

Adbot