Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Thyrork posted:

Anyway, I hope that puts this to rest. This ain't exactly the right place for this kind of talk, but I have no idea if SA has somewhere for that kind of thing.

If it does, it's a bit hidden away as it's still the popular insult to throw around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay. One last time...It's going into the archive by the end of the week. I had a horrible depressive episode tonight that drained all emotion straight out of me, leaving me a shell wondering what the hell the point of my life is. It felt like I had accomplished nothing, especially because I'd been reminded of someone who'd accomplished EVERYTHING.

But. I had to go over this thread to check out all the entries to make final edits and corrections. During that I reread about eighty pages of very supportive people. That breathed some life into me.

I'm still not over it yet, but you guys have probably saved my life, again. Thank you.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 26, 2016

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I know the state of American healthcare has hit rock bottom and started to drill for oil, but surely there must be some way to treat those episodes, Speedball? One of my relatives is bipolar, and he seems to be doing well after treatment, especially since his mother moved in with him for a while to make sure he took his medicine. I'm not trying to sass you or anything, I'm just worried- the guy did some pretty crazy things, and I for one wouldn't want that happening to you :ohdear:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

I know the state of American healthcare has hit rock bottom and started to drill for oil, but surely there must be some way to treat those episodes, Speedball? One of my relatives is bipolar, and he seems to be doing well after treatment, especially since his mother moved in with him for a while to make sure he took his medicine. I'm not trying to sass you or anything, I'm just worried- the guy did some pretty crazy things, and I for one wouldn't want that happening to you :ohdear:

I'll bring it up next time I talk to my doctor, which will be soon. Thanks!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

I'll bring it up next time I talk to my doctor, which will be soon. Thanks!

It's okay, we'll be here for you man. I'll, for all my faults, be willing to act as your virtual hug dispenser should you feel you need one.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, you're one of my favorite LP writers, Speedball, because you have the rare talent of working your own narrative flawlessly into what the game gives you and not making it seem forced 99.9% of the time (and the other times being that the game itself makes it difficult).

Hell, I don't think anyone else was capable of writing a Metal Gear storyline that was possibly better than MGSV's in Civilization 5.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, you're one of my favorite LP writers, Speedball, because you have the rare talent of working your own narrative flawlessly into what the game gives you and not making it seem forced 99.9% of the time (and the other times being that the game itself makes it difficult).

Hell, I don't think anyone else was capable of writing a Metal Gear storyline that was possibly better than MGSV's in Civilization 5.

On that note, Speedball, if you ever adapt Metal gear into another game, who'll be moved character?
Raiden?
Solid snake?
Big Boss?
Venom Snake?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The obvious answer would be Johnny Sasaki.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Doktor.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Update report on Hard West: Got an interesting system to encourage replayability. Not only does the campaign screen list icons for what difficulty or challenges you completed a mission on, but each scenario has unique items you can unlock for use in other scenarios. Other modifiers are Ironman and Wounds. Wounds are weird but neat: you get a nasty debuff that turns into a mostly-positive buff (with a minor downside) as the wound heals if you keep taking the wounded party member into battle.

The weirdest one is the abdomen puncture that heals into a removed appendix that somehow gives you regenerating health. Hey, whatever works!

There's also a card system that gives various characters powers. Cannibalism to heal your health and luck standing over dead bodies. A "scavenger" one that gives you a rare and powerful weapon for the duration of the battle if you use it over a body. A "Nightmare Regeneration" thing that gives you regenerating health as long as you are outside of direct sunlight (so sunset missions become weirdly interesting because the map is full of bright spots and shadows).

Relevant to you guys: If I did do a Hard West LP, would you want a totally fresh campaign or one with some of the goodies unlocked?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Probably some goodies unlocked. Be nice to be able to show it off whenever you want.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Plus the game itself isn't too hard anyways with or without the goodies.

I'm kind of surprised that there is no walkthrough on GameFAQs yet. You'd figure a game about stats and loot and multiple choice answers that can lead to some sort of optimal solution, would be prime faq material.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Annointed posted:

Plus the game itself isn't too hard anyways with or without the goodies.

I'm kind of surprised that there is no walkthrough on GameFAQs yet. You'd figure a game about stats and loot and multiple choice answers that can lead to some sort of optimal solution, would be prime faq material.

The trouble is there's only one autosave slot at any time, you can't experiment well with it in its current state.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Wait. the game is on Perma-ironman??

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

Wait. the game is on Perma-ironman??

Sort of. You can restart any fail states in a combat mission but you can't unmake choices you make during the map screen (it presents itself as a choose-your-own adventure on the world map). Some choices result in loot or whatnot, or affect combat missions. Like, say, on a revenge mission you may choose to poison the water supply of a farm full of cannibals ahead of time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This LP hasn't been archived YET (bigger queue than I thought). But in case any of you were wondering...

Yes, XCOM 2 is good.

The Kins posted:

I will once I make more!

Please make more character parts, Firaxis. Please unlock more NPC model parts, mod community. I want this game to basically be The Sims But With Martian Slaughter.

The Kins is a genius, by the way. Hahaha.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Speed, you need to make this LP's characters and post them here!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I hope someone mods in a body slider- Duke Nukem looks way too scrawny there :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

Speed, you need to make this LP's characters and post them here!

Coming up! Let me get off work first. :)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Speedball posted:

This LP hasn't been archived YET (bigger queue than I thought). But in case any of you were wondering...

Yes, XCOM 2 is good.

The Kins is a genius, by the way. Hahaha.

So do you have to edit files to change their biography or is that easily accessible in the base game too?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
There's a text field for biography right in the character customization system.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Speedball posted:

Coming up! Let me get off work first. :)
Speaking of characters and offsprings some of them may have mentioned in the LP:

The only thing I did was add the ballcap hat: everything else was provided by the game. :v:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

radintorov posted:

Speaking of characters and offsprings some of them may have mentioned in the LP:

The only thing I did was add the ballcap hat: everything else was provided by the game. :v:

Including specializing in pistols. No grenade abilities for sharpshooters, sadly, but you could probably get one from the Advanced Warfare Center.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Qrr posted:

Including specializing in pistols. No grenade abilities for sharpshooters, sadly, but you could probably get one from the Advanced Warfare Center.
Oh wait, no that was also me. But she was a Sharpshooter when I got her. :keke:
As far as I know, you cannot get soldiers with pre-purchased skills, only a pre-selected class.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

radintorov posted:

Oh wait, no that was also me. But she was a Sharpshooter when I got her. :keke:
As far as I know, you cannot get soldiers with pre-purchased skills, only a pre-selected class.

Yeah, I just meant the ability to specialize in pistols was provided by the game.

I love how each class has serious decisions to be made about which abilities to take, while in XCOM 1 all of my snipers and heavies and MECs had the same abilities (assaults and supports had a little variation). I want more than 6 people, dammit.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Maybe if you get lucky, you'll get Salvo or some other grenade ability from the AWC.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cam:

Leroy:

Zinchenko:

Zinchenko with Fedora:

Latisha:

Hilda:

Bar-Lev:

(image will be updated when the expansion gives us MEC suits)

Eva:

Aaand just for good measure...

Plastic Snake was better than you, fool!

Anyway... Also, the title screen updates whenever you reload, with one of your top soldiers in the front! This is my version of Jane Kelly, who has exosuit armor and a badass blade. Oh, yes. She is basically Raiden now.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 7, 2016

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Speedball posted:

Aaand just for good measure...

Plastic Snake was better than you, fool!
That looks perfect. Any chance you could share him? He would work well in a mission with Ocelot.

Also the rest of the group came up perfect. :keke:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Thanks for the bios, all of them are going into my game amd available as VIPs or soldiers.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

So, I've been playing XCOM 2, like pretty much everyone in the thread. A few day ago I got a rookie with that Skrillex hairdo and a bad case of RBF, so I obviously made her wear a pink T-shirt because I thought that the Punk-haired hardass wearing pink was funny. After her first mission she became a Sharpshooter, and I've been using her on and off ever since, and she became my main sniper once my old main sniper didn't make it to the helicopter in a timed mission. I trained her into becoming a rifle-focused Sharpshooter.
About an hour ago I finally noticed her name.

It is Tina Watkins.

Watkins, and she is a pink wearing sniper. The RNGod must love me.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Siegkrow posted:

A few day ago I got a rookie with that Skrillex hairdo and a bad case of RBF

Only tangentially related, but: Google tells me that you too can find out if you have Resting Bitch Face!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Speedball posted:

Update report on Hard West: Got an interesting system to encourage replayability. Not only does the campaign screen list icons for what difficulty or challenges you completed a mission on, but each scenario has unique items you can unlock for use in other scenarios. Other modifiers are Ironman and Wounds. Wounds are weird but neat: you get a nasty debuff that turns into a mostly-positive buff (with a minor downside) as the wound heals if you keep taking the wounded party member into battle.

The weirdest one is the abdomen puncture that heals into a removed appendix that somehow gives you regenerating health. Hey, whatever works!

There's also a card system that gives various characters powers. Cannibalism to heal your health and luck standing over dead bodies. A "scavenger" one that gives you a rare and powerful weapon for the duration of the battle if you use it over a body. A "Nightmare Regeneration" thing that gives you regenerating health as long as you are outside of direct sunlight (so sunset missions become weirdly interesting because the map is full of bright spots and shadows).

Relevant to you guys: If I did do a Hard West LP, would you want a totally fresh campaign or one with some of the goodies unlocked?

Goodies unlocked. Also, is it worth a purchase?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

Goodies unlocked. Also, is it worth a purchase?

I'd say so. It's different enough from the crowd and is priced at a budget price of only $20. Worth it, I'd say.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The dividing question: is there a research system in Hard West?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Junpei posted:

The dividing question: is there a research system in Hard West?

I think there is, but only when you're playing an inventor. Or something like that anyway.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I'll say: Speedball will be too busy with XCOM 2 over the next few weeks to start the Hard West LP :P

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Even though it was supposed to be in the queue, this LP has not been archived. My regular mail system doesn't get through to baldurk, having to PM him about it through SA's system. Hmmm....

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Speedball posted:

Even though it was supposed to be in the queue, this LP has not been archived. My regular mail system doesn't get through to baldurk, having to PM him about it through SA's system. Hmmm....

Just give it some more time, there's quite a backlog at all times and he doesn't even have a Patreon so people can make him do it full time. :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ah, he delayed it because he thought I wanted to edit part of it again (miscommunication) no problem it's in the pipe now.

And, even though this XCOM had a lot of soldier women who survived immense punishment and were incredible badasses, I think real life is still more incredible sometimes. Specifically...

Dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Speedball posted:

Ah, he delayed it because he thought I wanted to edit part of it again (miscommunication) no problem it's in the pipe now.

And, even though this XCOM had a lot of soldier women who survived immense punishment and were incredible badasses, I think real life is still more incredible sometimes. Specifically...

Dang.

That's not the first "Pretty cool Russian lady fights in world war, gets utterly shafted in the end" story I've heard, but goddamn that's tragic.

Wikipedia article on it. :smith:

• Locked thread