Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I managed to beat Khlonsgard somehow - did you get the medallion for the next boss in this video? Somehow I missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
We get the medallion as a reward for figuring out how to un-stone the knights. That's next video, once I get around to recording commentary for it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh, doy, of course.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Dalles is so fabulous in this. :allears:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

toddy. posted:

We get the medallion as a reward for figuring out how to un-stone the knights. That's next video, once I get around to recording commentary for it.

Oh, already? I was expecting that to drag out longer since it's such an amazing curse that even the Goddesses would have trouble with it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This game doesn't really do the whole overarching thing very well. What happens on a floor, stays on a floor.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

asymmetrical posted:

He's so bishonen that everyone swoons (and sparkles) whenever he gets into a fight.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

asymmetrical posted:

If I woke up with that haircut I'd want to be a wizard too.

Polsy posted:

Oh, already? I was expecting that to drag out longer since it's such an amazing curse that even the Goddesses would have trouble with it.

It's not even hard to solve this time, you just go a little further in the area and you're there.

anilEhilated posted:

This game doesn't really do the whole overarching thing very well. What happens on a floor, stays on a floor.

It's like the puzzle design in this game is garbage or something.

Oh also updates out the butt:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Yay! When will Deep-Friar be back? I really enjoy watching you blow through poo poo, Toddy, and then him fumble around with Hugo and show off how hard the stuff actually is.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

He died from eating too much cheese and wine sorry

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel so bad for Pictimos after you've knocked him out a couple times. Yeah, fire those lasers buddy, you'll hit me with them this time.

Never actually saw those different earthquake attacks, that's weird. I guess I did have him stuck in the loop, though.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 13, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

How weak is the boss to fire magic? Could you get an easy win by killing him a couple times, and then launching a suped-up fire pheonix when all the little goblins are rushing you, taking them out and then hitting the boss to finish it?

(P.S. Yunica's style of fighting involves axe-ing her enemies very pointed questions. :v:)

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Captain Bravo posted:

Yay! When will Deep-Friar be back? I really enjoy watching you blow through poo poo, Toddy, and then him fumble around with Hugo and show off how hard the stuff actually is.

Once the weather gets good enough that recording in my room with no fans on isn't a death wish. I put it off for a bit while I got through Yunica's Silent Sands and Blighted Blood. I should get in contact sometime soon and arrange a thing I guess. I'm really lazy lately.

Dryzen posted:

He died from eating too much cheese and wine sorry

Also this

Justin_Brett posted:

I feel so bad for Pictimos after you've knocked him out a couple times. Yeah, fire those lasers buddy, you'll hit me with them this time.

Never actually saw those different earthquake attacks, that's weird. I guess I did have him stuck in the loop, though.

Pictimos is a dick and kinda poorly designed (I think I said that already) but even then that run went down to bad luck on my part. poo poo happens I guess.

Captain Bravo posted:

How weak is the boss to fire magic? Could you get an easy win by killing him a couple times, and then launching a suped-up fire pheonix when all the little goblins are rushing you, taking them out and then hitting the boss to finish it?

(P.S. Yunica's style of fighting involves axe-ing her enemies very pointed questions. :v:)

Not weak to fire at all, this boss doesn't have a weakness like that sadly. Fighting this boss with the fire magic takes ages, and while it is the safest method it is also the most tedious. I like to have fun and play videogames so I go straight to the face with any character in that fight, even Hugo.

I think someone earlier in the thread called it the Norwegian Axenado and I like that a lot. I just forgot about the name when recording.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I just mean for the final hit. I counted about six times in that video when you'd kill the last goblin with the thunder magic, and before you could run over to thwap the boss he'd popped more out. I'm just wondering if using thunder magic to deal your damage, and a fireball for the final shot would make the finale a bit quicker.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I suppose that might do the trick. I'm not the most aware or clever when it comes to magic switching unless I absolutely have to. The reason for that being magic switching isn't instantaneous so you have to sometimes hit the switch button in advance. I get muddled with that a lot. You are probably right though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I just killed him over and over until he didn't spawn them anymore. It was kind of cathartic after two bosses that restored their health in annoying ways, you can just make his efforts completely futile.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 13, 2015

Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014
Looking at time attack videos it seems that the fire magic is the best here since it can kill the boss in under a minute and before it heals itself a second time. I'd link the video but it might contain some slight spoilers.

Good to see that Dalles is still a dick.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
What, how did Feena levitate and combine the Black Pearl and Dreaming Idol? I thought the whole point of the barrier was that it kept her magic in and other magic out.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Jaimers posted:

Looking at time attack videos it seems that the fire magic is the best here since it can kill the boss in under a minute and before it heals itself a second time. I'd link the video but it might contain some slight spoilers.

Yeah I haven't looked up the speedy strats for that boss just because when I first looked up other people's boss times a few years back everyone turtled it out with fire magic from the other side of the arena the entire fight and it put me off. Going for at least a fire magic pot shot once he tries to shoot me away would make a quicker kill by a large margin.

Jaimers posted:

Good to see that Dalles is still a dick.

Yeah but that haircut though.

asymmetrical posted:

What, how did Feena levitate and combine the Black Pearl and Dreaming Idol? I thought the whole point of the barrier was that it kept her magic in and other magic out.

The goddesses abilities seem to vary greatly from useless to master of time and space to suit the plot at the time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Alternatively how much power does it take to glue two artifacts together? It's probably more a case of finesse/Black Pearl shenanigans, with the replica being good enough to give the sorcerers 'we don't know how to work with the Black Pearl because that's the Goddess' job!' heeby jeebys.

On a more Meta note I found it interesting with the statue was actually made/melded into the form it's seen later. When I first picked it up I was like 'this statue is missing something' which everyone proceeded to verify. I was surprised that there was pretty much no fuss with getting the Replica, especially after what the Silent Sands pulled. It was refreshing.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Sunshine Hatcheteering?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

asymmetrical posted:

A goddess did it. Who needs rules?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I forgot to record this weekend I was playing too much FFXIV again. I'll see if I can record the Demonic Core in one go soon and push updates shortly thereafter but I get the feeling I'll be recording the next section one boss at a time. It gets a little gross difficulty-wise for Yunica on the next few bosses. Nothing Khlonsclard-bad though.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Computer died. I still have everything saved but I lost all my games and software (saves are on steam cloud though). Might be a week or so before I can continue working on this. Sorry :shobon:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

toddy. posted:

Computer died. I still have everything saved but I lost all my games and software (saves are on steam cloud though). Might be a week or so before I can continue working on this. Sorry :shobon:

You don't have to apologize for stuff like that happening. Take your time.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The LP Curse strikes again. :negative:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

It's actually all my fault

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... Ys was built by the regular use of magic, fueled by the darkness in people's hearts, since Yunica can't use it because she's genetically incapable of guile or something.

I think that cryptic and vaguely disaffected rear end in a top hat with the long flowing hair may actually have a point or two.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Wait, what? I thought the point was that magic isn't inherently good nor bad, and so the more people used the magic for "good" ends, the more magic was available for bad people to do their thing with.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I'll try to explain without giving much away because careless wording might spoil parts of the third playthrough's story.

Ys' magic was born through the goddesses and the priests channeling the Black Pearl's power (they were taught by the goddesses). Ys became a floating continent after monsters on the surface became too frequent and aggressive so they combined their efforts with the black pearl to make the continent fly away. The magic itself is unaspected to neither good or evil, and the neutral nature of the magic cancels itself out with magic born from the same element. This is overruled by the goddesses because their magic is better magic.

I will post more updates soon. I've been slowly getting all the pieces together to start working on LP stuff again, hopefully I won't lose another computer by the end of the week.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Every time I hear someone explain the magic in Ys, my head starts to hurt. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I've decided that instead of feeling miserable and delaying recordings every time I decide to play this game I should just not play this game or record it anymore. I've completely burned out and honestly I don't want to look at this game (or any Ys game) for a good while. Maybe I'll resume the thread in a couple months but it's not likely. Maybe I'll try a different game but that also is not likely.

Later.

• Locked thread