Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Problem description: So I have a battery that my laptop believes is fully functional and an AC Adapter that by all means appears to be working properly as well. When I turn on the laptop without a battery, it runs normally from the AC power. However, when I turn on the laptop with a battery or insert a battery mid-use, the computer seems to no longer notice the AC adapter. Every diagnostic says it's not there, the battery slowly drains, and if I take out the battery with the charger still plugged in, the laptop loses power.

Attempted fixes: I've tried using different outlets, unplugging the AC adapter and battery for extended periods, resetting the BIOS, uninstalling the battery and adapter drivers, and getting a new battery. I'm assuming it's something wrong with the internal software or hardware but I am having trouble finding answers online.

Recent changes: None I can think of. I just came home to the battery not charging one day.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit.

System specs: HP EliteBook 8760w, product # XU089UTR#ABA

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Possible causes:

1) Battery
2) AC adapter
3) Power plug in your laptop

I've had the same happen with a Dell laptop, where it according to Google is a common problem - the AC adapter would not charge the battery. The solution was to buy a new AC adapter. It sounds weird that it can power the laptop but not charge the battery, but that was how it was in my case.

• Locked thread