Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Just watch Jojo and read Jojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Fat_Cow posted:

Just watch Jojo and read Jojo.

Please also work out and pose like Jojo. Dress like Jojo. Get your body taken over by an immortal vampire head like Jojo.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I loving love that some people in this thread are trying to pretend that Akira still represents the pinnacle of animation. Even ironically that's way too far fetched a claim to make.

LaTex Fetish posted:

Is there a special reason why everyone likes Akira kinda the same way everyone revers the Mona Lisa even though it's a small portrait of some random woman?

Yes, its exactly the same reason for which stuff like Dragonball Z and Gundam Wing are enduringly popular. It was the first point of exposure for a vast amount of western anime fans and it became the unrealistic giant yard stick to which everything they watch afterwards is measured. Personally, mine is Evangelion and I hold that up to high levels of esteem in the same way. Akira is a good film once you know the general plot outline, but it has aged noticeably. If you judge it as a product of its time, then yeah pile on the praise but there are loads of films now which surpass it in loads of different ways.

Also, watch Jojo.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Akira is a classic and a historical cornerstone. Also it's pretty drat cool.

But being a classic or a historical cornerstone does not make it is the pinnacle of all anime. There definitely are better things out there.

Like Jojo's.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Well it might not exactly be not-nonsense, but if you still want cyberpunk like a month and a half later you could always watch serial experiments lain. It's really good if you're into that kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5y4nQ5Y1V8

surc fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 25, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dude couldn't understand Akira, don't make him watch Lain.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just read the Akira manga again, loved it, think its the best. There a thread for it? Gonna check out that Eden recommendation, thanks. Can't stand anime, but manga still has the goods for me.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

As someone who first watched Genocyber while suffering badly from depression, I have to say that I think it's truly uniquely excellent and creative, and also that I can't in good conscience endorse the watching of Genocyber to anyone ever, under any circumstances.

Fun fact: The first Fullmetal Alchemist anime, which some of you may remember as basically a string of atrocities punctuated by unfunny anime jokes that reads like a Charles Manson autobiography with a foreword by Dane Cook, was written by Sho Aikawa, co-writer of Genocyber and bastard lunatic.

Also watch Cyber City Oedo 808 for amazing '80s cyberpunk themes and aesthetics and stories that make sense and go places.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tunahead posted:

As someone who first watched Genocyber while suffering badly from depression, I have to say that I think it's truly uniquely excellent and creative, and also that I can't in good conscience endorse the watching of Genocyber to anyone ever, under any circumstances.

Fun fact: The first Fullmetal Alchemist anime, which some of you may remember as basically a string of atrocities punctuated by unfunny anime jokes that reads like a Charles Manson autobiography with a foreword by Dane Cook, was written by Sho Aikawa, co-writer of Genocyber and bastard lunatic.

Also watch Cyber City Oedo 808 for amazing '80s cyberpunk themes and aesthetics and stories that make sense and go places.

Sho Aikawa also wrote the ending to the Angel Cop OVA, where it's revealed the Jews are the real villains of the show.

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
Speaking of Knights of Sidonia and BLAME! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiZJkYg4n1E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj_fop8eYHA

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

surc posted:

Well it might not exactly be not-nonsense, but if you still want cyberpunk like a month and a half later you could always watch serial experiments lain. It's really good if you're into that kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5y4nQ5Y1V8

i've already seen lain and it was pretty good but haibane renmai was a lot better and it was very similar in theme

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

LaTex Fetish posted:

i've already seen lain and it was pretty good but haibane renmai was a lot better and it was very similar in theme

Explain how Lain and Haibane Renmei are similar in theme

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

they both have themes of self reflection and leaving the world with grace?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Fangz posted:

Explain how Lain and Haibane Renmei are similar in theme

i bet your one of those chaps who thinks NGE is really convoluted and hard to understand too

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So I checked out Eden, and the writing is not doing it for me. Its just not interesting. Looking for something fun to read with a writer who is as good at writing ambitious world making and adult characterization (and that just doesn't mean sex and violence) as you'd see in Nausicaa and Akira. Thanks in advance.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Tunahead posted:

I have nothing but positive memories of the original FMA. What made it so bad?

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!

SalTheBard posted:

I have nothing but positive memories of the original FMA. What made it so bad?

I think he meant literal atrocities like a little girl being fused with her dog... I mean, I enjoyed FMA too but he kind of has a point; it was really dark except for the the dumb anime humor (like spazzing about his height).

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Something I've always wondered was if that stuff is actually funny to Japanese audiences, and there is a cultural boundary there, or if gags like that are equally unfunny everywhere.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

could be, that it's a show for children and therefore it features humor targeted at children, which an adult might not find funny

something to think about

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Butt Ghost posted:

Something I've always wondered was if that stuff is actually funny to Japanese audiences, and there is a cultural boundary there, or if gags like that are equally unfunny everywhere.

someone sure sounds bitter about being short

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Joke's on you, I'm an 8ft marine with a license to kill, bitch.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It was pretty funny that time when Sig and Armstrong made friends by posing at one another.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

could be, that it's a show for children and therefore it features humor targeted at children, which an adult might not find funny

something to think about

In which case, why does a show for children have so much horrible nightmarish poo poo in it?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SALT CURES HAM posted:

In which case, why does a show for children have so much horrible nightmarish poo poo in it?

Well it's shounen, its target demographic is 14 year olds, which means it has to include cool and edgy poo poo for older kids, but also at the same time childish and non-threatening humor for younger kids. That's like, every single shounen series ever. It's basically the definition of the category

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 30, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean in most cases yeah but FMA 2003 is stupidly dark, and not really in an edgy cool way like most dark poo poo in shonen, it's just depressing and scary.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean in most cases yeah but FMA 2003 is stupidly dark, and not really in an edgy cool way like most dark poo poo in shonen, it's just depressing and scary.

It might help to know that the head writer of the 2003 series also co-wrote Genocyber.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

It might help to know that the head writer of the 2003 series also co-wrote Genocyber.

Yeah, I'm aware, that was what started this conversation. :v:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah, I'm aware, that was what started this conversation. :v:

Whoops :cripes:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys know the difference between Buddism / Shintoism and Christianity / Abrahamic religion.

It might clear some things for you WRT what asian cultures think is OK to show kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

neat

• Locked thread