Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010
Hey guys. So I'm finding myself set up for an interview with an HR representative with a company after shotgunning my resume out on Monster.com and I got a hit back from a company called Hi-Line. From what I've researched, they're a company that specializes in mobile sales of tools and other industrial products. Basically, I would be hired as a territory manager and will be asked to seek out businesses and form a relationship with them by selling our products. Kind of like an ice cream truck... but with tools.

Things I get with the company:

Full benefits (health,dental,vision)
They supply me with merchandise without me paying for it
$40k base + bonus/commission system
A secured territory
They outfit the truck with company decals and logos

What I have to provide myself with

Finance a truck
Form my own customers (cold calls, door to door)

Glassdoor: http://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Hi-Line-EI_IE390723.11,18.htm

Personal:

Degree: Some college
Assets: 0
Debt: $900
Experience: 5+ years in sales

Feel free to ask me if you guys need more information. Ultimately I'm really interested if there's anything else anyone can dig up that can either let me know that this is a good plan or if i should stay the hell away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

A job you have to pay money to get isn't a job, it's an mlm scam.

But you already knew that. :clint:

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010

Blorange posted:

A job you have to pay money to get isn't a job, it's an mlm scam.

But you already knew that. :clint:

Well I don't have to pay for any licensing or products or anything really. I just need a truck that they can decal up and fill with their products. Is that still mlm?

Edit: I'm also not recruiting other people to join the company/work in my network.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
No, it doesn't appear to be an mlm, just a lovely commission based sales job, but it's probably not worth financing a truck for the job given that you have no assets and a small amount of debt.

Also something to keep in mind about that 40k base. It won't last unless you are constantly bringing in new business.

quote:

Is this position salaried or straight commission?
Territory Managers start out with a base salary + commission before transitioning to a draw vs. commission program.

What this means is if you don't meet your targets (and who knows how reasonable those are), you'll end up owing them money.

edit: You do have experience in sales, so you know how it goes. If this didn't require getting a truck, I'd say go for it, but given the up front investment, you'd need to be really confident in your abilities and the reputation of the company for it to be worth it.

It's also a little weird that they seem to require you (based on the website) to finance a truck, and have specific partners they want you to use, rather than just requiring you to own a truck.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 27, 2014

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Xandu posted:

No, it doesn't appear to be an mlm, just a lovely commission based sales job, but it's probably not worth financing a truck for the job given that you have no assets and a small amount of debt.

Also something to keep in mind about that 40k base. It won't last unless you are constantly bringing in new business.

What this means is if you don't meet your targets (and who knows how reasonable those are), you'll end up owing them money.

I suppose the setup only contains 2 levels, so it's not an mlm. However, if the company cared about their salesforce succeeding they'd cover their company branded transportation.

OP, this is what you'll still be driving years after this goes belly up:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Also the first thing I thought when I read it is that the salary isn't really $40k, it's $40k minus the truck payments and R&M.

I didn't read the site, but I'm betting if you have to buy the truck, you'll also have to be the one putting fuel in it too.

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010

Xandu posted:

edit: You do have experience in sales, so you know how it goes. If this didn't require getting a truck, I'd say go for it, but given the up front investment, you'd need to be really confident in your abilities and the reputation of the company for it to be worth it.

That's what I wanted to start seeing!

Always little bullshit details

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010

Rudager posted:

Also the first thing I thought when I read it is that the salary isn't really $40k, it's $40k minus the truck payments and R&M.

I didn't read the site, but I'm betting if you have to buy the truck, you'll also have to be the one putting fuel in it too.

Actually they say they cover my fuel costs. How nice of them :allears:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
From my limited and anecdotal experience, this is the way mobile tool trucks operate. You buy the truck and the tools and "operate your own business" like a mobile franchise.

Things to consider:

Most automotive shops already have 3 or 4 of these trucks come by once weekly, one for each of the big brands (Snap-On, Matco, etc). You would most likely need to take business from others by force/incentive anywhere you went.

The people in this business make good money if they're successful and they pay everything up-front without financing. This is a huge front-load on risk and debt and you generally want to have a feel for the market in the area and have working relationships with a decent amount of mechanics before even considering this route.

Just a couple things to mull over.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Since you worked 5 years in sales, do you mind me asking in what industry?

There has to be better options other then some lovely entry level sales role, from a company that sounds like they hate their reps succeeding.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

[...]Most automotive shops already have 3 or 4 of these trucks come by once weekly, one for each of the big brands (Snap-On, Matco, etc). You would most likely need to take business from others by force/incentive anywhere you went.

This needs more love and is definitely something to keep in mind. I used to take auto shop back in high school and this was at a local vocational school with a fully outfitted shop. The shop would always have the Snap-On and Matco guys come by.

Unfortunately for yourself, OP, Snap-On and Matco are considered some of the best tools for professionals. Many mechanics swear by them and stock their tool chests with them. So besides competing with the already crowded trade routes of auto shops, you also need to find a way to convince mechanics to abandon their tried-and-true tools and buy yours.

In addition, and maybe this is simply a product of living in the south, my experience has been that the personality of the average mechanic is that of a traditionalist. Resistant to change, not very open minded, sticks to what has always worked, does things because "We've always done it this way!". You'll have the pleasure of overcoming that mentality as well.

I'm not trying to piss on your dreams, I'm just hoping that if this is a true MLM scam, we can help you not get sucked in. Both my ex-wife and her new husband have managed to get sucked in to MLM scams and have this idea that they'll be their own bosses and bringing in MAD CA$H! Except it looks like they've invested a lot of their savings into these scams. While I don't care for those two, I DO care about the possibility of their efforts failing. If that happens, they're going to struggle to take care of the kids in their household.

One of which is a child I had with her. So, this is kind of a personal thing to me right now.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

“FANTASTIC DEBT FREE COMPANY!!!!! ”

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Charlotte, NC
I have been working at Hi-Line full-time for more than a year

Pros
I have worked for some pretty incredible companies through out my career, but I have to say that the Support, Training and Management that I've receievd with HI-LINE has been the best experience!! I work virtually and never feel left to figure things out on my own, I always feel appreciated and LOVE my position within the company. It's hard to find a company that not only appreciates your hard work, but has a system in place to reward you with uncapped commissions and a very lucrative bonus plan. HI-LINE is DEBT FREE and offers top of the line benefits after 30 days of employement. They have exceeded my expectations and I am looking forward to a long career and retiring with them 20+ years from now. My advice would be if you have the opportunity to work with HI-LINE you should jump at the chance.

Cons
I have not experienced any Con's with HI-LINE and am really enjoying my employment with them.

Advice to Management
Keep up the good work! I appreciate all the support and encouragement I have been given in my position.
Well, that doesn't sound like a shill at all!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

RoofieMyselfForFun posted:

Actually they say they cover my fuel costs. How nice of them :allears:

I'd be finding out what that means too, like is it you give them a fuel receipt and they 100% reimburse it, or do they pay a travel allowance, and is it a fixed amount or per km?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Mickey
Aug 25, 2010

Hmm, 3 5 star reviews with "coincidentally" the same style of language. And the rest are angry 1 stars-2stars review.

Based on the real testimonials, they're not a scam. Unless you consider a company that saddles its' employees' with upfront debt and skim the profit is a scam.

Run!

• Locked thread