Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I was taking public transit to work today, and two people started yelling at each other. Clearly both of them were mentally disabled, based on the words they were speaking and the manner in which they were saying them. One guy was just a homeless bum, and the other guy had was just a fat messy slob and wore a my little pony t shirt (not me, dummy). He kept making references to how the homeless guy was making fun of his aspergers and his college degree in computer science. There's no way in hell this guy just wasn't on the internet all the time. Hell he could have been a goon.

That got me thinking. Are most people on the internet normal? Or are they just completely mentally disabled? Are most trolls out there actually assholes or are they just actually mentally incapacitated of some sort? It basically answers for most of the weird people out there on the internet, and it's also kind of funny that everything I read on the internet could have been produced by some retard out there. Anyway, discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
yes

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Tldr but yes

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

only the ones who've been to a psychiatrist

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
A lot of people on the internet, especially if they are on for a long time (moderators, spergs, D&D posters) develop serious mental illnesses

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

gggiiimmmppp posted:

only the ones who've been to a psychiatrist

It is baffling that there are still people out there (believe me, I've met them) who don't see a therapist on a regular basis.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

you've been on sa for 3 years and still have to ask?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
some of my favorite posters are mentally ill

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

LifeSizePotato posted:

you've been on sa for 3 years and still have to ask?
actually i've gone through accounts since 2001, so give it 13 years lol.

I suppose it was just more of a realization that most of the words I read on the internet has a high percentage of being produced by someone with a mental capacity of a four year old.

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I'm an rear end, OP.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

gently caress the ROW posted:

A lot of people on the internet, especially if they are on for a long time (moderators, spergs, D&D posters) develop serious mental illnesses

so you start from normal and then you develop a mental illness? how does this happen?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Narciss posted:

It is baffling that there are still people out there (believe me, I've met them) who don't see a therapist on a regular basis.

i hope this is a joke

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
Well given that the majority of the world has a mental disorder of some form, yes, I think it's likely that most people on the internet have a mental illness.

If you include people who have had a mental disorder in the past as well then the answer is an overwhelming yes.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Rocks posted:

i hope this is a joke

You must not know too many people in real life. :shobon:

I'm sorry to say that it is indeed not a joke.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Rocks posted:

so you start from normal and then you develop a mental illness? how does this happen?

No you have to be inclined to it originally I Think

perosnally my mental illness is goku related

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
careful, you can catch bad diagnoses from the internet

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Your the mental illness OP.

all of them.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
didn't read the OP

yes
kill OP

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
im permabanned poster niggerstomper58. i first started reading fyad when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "friend of the family balls" and "i love making GBS threads inside friend of the family assholes" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of fyad humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" fyad to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

The people who are always screaming about their mental illnesses to get attention are just louder and post more than other people, thus making it seem like there are more of them.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
yes but also most people irl

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I Am A Robot posted:

Well given that the majority of the world has a mental disorder of some form, yes, I think it's likely that most people on the internet have a mental illness.

If you include people who have had a mental disorder in the past as well then the answer is an overwhelming yes.

sure but i'm talking about like a REAL mental illness, like "making a homeless guy seem normal" kind of mental illness like what I saw. I'm not talking about every day depression or some poo poo

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Narciss posted:

You must not know too many people in real life. :shobon:

I'm sorry to say that it is indeed not a joke.

I know plenty of people, not one (I know of) sees a therapist. Maybe seeing a therapist is an American thing (I'm Canadian)

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
literally every american on SA takes some kind of brain meds. Literally every american poster.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

you see OP humanity is a mental illness our ape ancestors contracted a long time ago

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I think "mental illness" is thrown around too casually. Someone enjoys something you don't, or in a way of which you don't approve? Mental illness. Somone experiences an emotion you don't find appropriate to a situation? Mental illness. Someone is extremely knowledgeable on a topic you don't find particularly interesting? Mental illness.

I'd argue that a behavioral trait has to have a negative impact on something near the base of Mazlow's hierarchy of needs (nothing higher than Love/Belonging at least) before it becomes an "illness."

Edit: It should go without saying that the aforementioned negative behavioral trait must also be impossible to correct by willpower alone.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 27, 2014

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

affirmative op

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rocks posted:

I know plenty of people, not one (I know of) sees a therapist. Maybe seeing a therapist is an American thing (I'm Canadian)

No it isn't.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Applewhite posted:

I think "mental illness" is thrown around too casually. Someone enjoys something you don't, or in a way of which you don't approve? Mental illness. Somone experiences an emotion you don't find appropriate to a situation? Mental illness. Someone is extremely knowledgeable on a topic you don't find particularly interesting? Mental illness.

I'd argue that a behavioral trait has to have a negative impact on something near the base of Mazlow's hierarchy of needs (nothing higher than Love/Belonging at least) before it becomes an "illness."

Edit: It should go without saying that the aforementioned negative behavioral trait must also be impossible to correct by willpower alone.

This is the most mentally ill post in this thread so far

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
pretended to be "mentally ill" by trolling a doctor into thinking you have severe anxiety, insomnia, fibromyalgia and ADHD. Enjoy your xanax, ambien, percocet and vyvanse! #lifehack

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im permabanned poster niggerstomper58. i first started reading fyad when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "friend of the family balls" and "i love making GBS threads inside friend of the family assholes" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of fyad humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" fyad to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
retards on the internet find cool mental illnesses and diagnose themselves using sites like WebMD.

but they're not really mentally ill, they're just retarded.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
is coprophilia in the dsm5?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i used to have asopergers but they removed it from the dsm so I'm free and clear baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Arlowe
Feb 19, 2011

and your a little faggot that has no friends , you retarded mushroom
niggerstomper58 was right

• Locked thread