Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Patreon is defined as a service for people to support content creators that generate new stuff on a regular basis. You specify an amount to tip, which may have some extra bonuses based on your tip level, and when the person you're being a patron of makes something, you automatically fork over the cash (up to a threshold so you can avoid getting overloaded if someone releases 100 new music dubstep/nightcore tracks in a month or whatever).

Patreon's site has a video which explains this process in likely a better fashion than I am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH-IDF809fQ

You may have seen a few people who have made some work on Patreon, and there's likely going to be many more out there who would see this as a novel method to provide fresh content to happy subscribers. Here are some questions for this thread, because I personally don't know a lot about it yet but would like to find out more!
*Note that these questions are not intended to be inflammatory but mostly information that can't be immediately found by browsing through Patreon.
  • Who do I throw money at? This is one that I'm personally interested and would like recommendations as far as people creating RPG supplements, new games, and furthering the traditional games hobby in some kind of meaningful fashion. There are a few on this forum, even, who have Patreon accounts set up!
  • Who do I avoid throwing money at? I haven't heard of anybody getting burned via Patreon like there are with Kickstarter-type scams or spectacular failures, but is there some kind of shitlist somewhere that people should be apprised of?
  • What are your experiences as a patron? Are there particularly rewarding experiences you have had when engaging with content creators you support? Negative experiences?
  • What are your experiences as a creator? Does engaging directly with people who are giving you money provide a more useful/intimate experience than Kickstarter or pitching content for review (or direct to market)?

Random insights:

Here's some stuff I heard on the grapevine. Ooh! Gossip!
  • Ben Lehman likes Patreon because rather than getting a bunch of money and then having to make a thing, he can make a thing and post it, and get some money that way! (via Ewen Cluney)
RPG-related Patreons:

The following is a list of creators on Patreon that I was aware of clicking around aimlessly while on a lunch break at work in their "Discover" tool. If you have something to add, please send me a PM or post in this thread! If you have something you want me to remove, please talk to me privately.

• RulebookHeavily (Mounted Combat) just got a Patreon set up! What a cool guy. (link)
  • Avery MCDALDNO (Monsterhearts, The Quiet Year) has been a success story via Patreon with a dedicated group of patrons. (link)
  • Mark DIAZ (FATE Core contributor) has been working on a magazine for FATE-related supplements and material. If FATE is your boat, maybe this guy is in it! (link)
  • Epidiah is responsible for Worlds Without Master, another RPG periodical designed for PbtA (*World) type fans. (link)
  • Ben LEHMAN (Bliss Stage, Polaris, clover) has a Patreon up too and seems to be enjoying the freedom it gives him. (link)
  • Dennis N. SANTANA (Spirits of Eden), while not being strictly RPG-related, is creating serialized fiction and has his Patreon set up for that! (link)
  • GamerXP is a site billing itself as a socially-conscious online roleplaying magazine. Some of the more prolific writers and designers on SA's Traditional Games forum have contributed articles too! (link)
  • Dyson is the mastermind behind Dyson's Dodecahedron, a fantastic blog with a focus primarily on maps and OSR-related content. (link)
  • TerranScapes is a miniatures terrain creator providing video tutorials covering all things terrain-related. (link)
  • Johnstone METZGER (Adventures on Dungeon Planet) is on Patreon creating monsters for various systems, namely Labyrinth Lord and Dungeon World. (link)
  • Joe BANNER (I'm On A Boat) is churning out Dungeon World content at a respectable clip, and by all accounts it seems that at least 44 people like his stuff! (link
  • Topher GERKEY (Princess Drive) does Monsterhearts skins occasionally. He hasn't done much since March 2014, but he may start back up soon. (link) -- Krabkolash
  • Quinn MURPHY (At-Will, Thoughtcrime) an industry freelancer working on Five Fires, a game about being a hip-hop crew (link) -- Krabkolash
  • Ryven CEDRYLLE (Mystic Theurge Workshop) A goon who is fairly active in the 13th Age thread that runs an RPG blog. His Patreon release campaign has been suspended for a few months and should hopefully should start coming out with new things again soon as of July/August 2014! (link) -- Krabkolash

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
I have a few non TG people I donate to as well, but I noticed 3 TG related people not in the initial list so I thought I'd mention them here as well.

Topher Gerkey - Monsterhearts skins occasionally. (He hasn't done much since march, but I'm hoping he'll start back up soon) http://www.patreon.com/topher
Quinn Murphy - Working on Five Fires and has done freelance work for several big projects. http://www.patreon.com/quinn
Ryven Cedrylle - A goon who is fairly active in the 13A thread. His campaign was suspended for a few months and should hopefully be starting back up soon http://www.patreon.com/ryven

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Krabkolash posted:

Ryven Cedrylle - A goon who is fairly active in the 13A thread. His campaign was suspended for a few months and should hopefully be starting back up soon http://www.patreon.com/ryven

Whoa whoa whoa, waitasec. Are you telling me people are paying for Youtube videos of this guys campaign? That's something people are willing to pay for?

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

AND GOT 160.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, waitasec. Are you telling me people are paying for Youtube videos of this guys campaign? That's something people are willing to pay for?

No. His campaign in this case is releases of RPG stuff, I assume he just got busy with the summer so suspended releases temporarily.. Go read his Patreon page.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Krabkolash posted:

No. His campaign in this case is releases of RPG stuff, I assume he just got busy with the summer so suspended releases temporarily.. Go read his Patreon page.

Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification. It seemed like a super-awesome thing that had to be too good to be true and I'm sad that impulse was right.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

AND GOT 160.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification. It seemed like a super-awesome thing that had to be too good to be true and I'm sad that impulse was right.

Note, lots of webcomic artists/independent writers/regular artists use it. And I think there might be some stuff sort of like posting tabletop campaigns that got big enough on there.

So the limit is pretty much making enough compelling content that people are willing to pay for.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Krabkolash posted:

I have a few non TG people I donate to as well, but I noticed 3 TG related people not in the initial list so I thought I'd mention them here as well.

Nice! Updated the OP.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

AND GOT 160.
Our very own Rulebook Heavily has started a Patreon. He makes TG stuff and is a cool person. http://www.patreon.com/AndriEr

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Got you covered for that one in the OP. I have been reading via G+ that some creators that are under the gun via Kickstarter can definitely feel discouraged or burned out versus going direct to market or using a Patreon. Can anybody confirm this?

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

I can't confirm it as I've never used Kickstarter, but it seems likely. In my experience, Patreon is like Kickstarter for the depressed. There's less pressure and more motivation, because the system is essentially "oh wait, if I do this thing I enjoy doing, I get paid! And if I don't, I ain't get poo poo, so welp." The black dog can't argue with that. (I won't link to it as that would be gauche, and besides it's not about games as you specified). Kickstarter puts the cart before the horse in that respect, by giving you the money before the work is done, giving the dog plenty of opportunity to yell YOU'RE GOING TO LET EVERYONE DOWN BECAUSE YOU SUCK over and over.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I had a discussion with Ewen in person about Patreon (somewhat brief since we were doing other stuff) but it seems that Patreon is certainly the most useful for people that create content on a regular basis and put it out there for public consumption, such as Youtube video creators and musicians. It benefits for tabletop game designers and such because while maybe not on the same type of schedule the content they make is (subject to opinion, of course) pretty interesting in its own right.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Ryven isn't doing that, but the LP 13A guys (Ironicus, Plaz, Medibot et all) are. Granted, they were already pretty popular before they started and they're a bunch of talented and funny people offering good rewards and a very good, very well produced product, but yeah it's a thing people are willing to contribute money to.

They're also some pretty cool people with some pretty nice goals. They're hiring a designer to build them a website SO that they have more than a tumblr, forum thread and Rocket Scientist friend with good hosting, they've already launched a second campaign which was playing D&D Next but is now moving to 3.5 due to the consultant bullshit, they're doing a weekly one shot series paired with a biweekly game design chatcast that our very own Ettin is going to be (has been?) on. Overall it's just funny and good and you should give it a listen even if you don't have the means to contribute.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Jenna Moran now has a Patreon where she's handing out her work on some new material for Chuubo and other stuff.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I remembered ArcDream did a survey ages ago about patreon support, but apparently it actually happened to very little fanfare: There's a Kerberos Club Patreon. https://www.patreon.com/kerberosclub

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

We have a Patreon for our podcast System Mastery. Another goon and myself basically review old and dead roleplaying games, with a focus on weird stuff that failed for good reasons. We've been at it for nearly two years, and just posted our 38th episode, Stormbringer, which was a really fun one.

I set the Patreon up because as we got bigger the requests for specific reviewed games became more numerous, and the requested games rarer and more expensive. It also helps us pay for the site hosting and storage space. It's not a huge Patreon or anything, but it's already generated enough pledges to pay for our annual fees, which is great!

theironjef fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 5, 2015

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Role Playing Public Radio has a Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/RPPR

It's mostly for additional content, like a patreon exclusive podcast called RPPR After Hours where we review old RPG supplements and talk about pop culture. There's a sample episode available for free here: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2015/01/comedy/were-on-patreon-rppr-after-hours-preview/

We also have desktop wallpaper art, behind the scene blog posts, and online games for backers (plus bonus APs for everyone!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I just recently stumbled upon a Patreon for John Harper: https://www.patreon.com/johnharper

after noticing that he had released two more chapters of Tales from the Wild Blue Yonder, which you probably recognize as Lady Blackbird

The new chapters are
Magister Lor is the last in a line of sorcerers, and
Lord Scurlock is dead.

• Locked thread