Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I doubt we will see many players affected by the second offense anyway. Think about it, how many players have been blamed for this in recent memory? Rice, Marshall, maybe a few others. Marshall is the only one I can think of who had more than 1 issue, and he's cleaned himself up. Domestic Abuse just doesn't seem to happen (or get reported at least) like other offenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Febreeze posted:

I doubt we will see many players affected by the second offense anyway. Think about it, how many players have been blamed for this in recent memory? Rice, Marshall, maybe a few others. Marshall is the only one I can think of who had more than 1 issue, and he's cleaned himself up. Domestic Abuse just doesn't seem to happen (or get reported at least) like other offenses.

Randy McMicheal beat the hell out of his wife like four or five times.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Terrell Suggs had two different issues too, with his girlfriend getting protective orders against him. Of course they got back a month later in the first case and then got married three days after she dropped the second one.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Febreeze posted:

i hope one of these players grows a set and tests the second offense. would be a shame to see all the hard work the league put into figuring out the punishment go to waste

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
w/r/t the 6 game suspension for the first offense, people have to realize that we shouldn't be trying to crucify any criminals. Rehabilitation should be the goal. You can't undo the crime and you can't satisfy the public's desire for blood. Six games is a pretty serious wake up call and the year long is a sizable "reevaluate your life".

I'm not so hot on the concept of a lifetime bans for third offenses. Considering how long careers are two or three years would be enough to do the same thing, but people love their over the top dramatic gestures. It is cool to see guys out there who legitimately turned their lives around.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Edit: Apperantly I can't read either...

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Grittybeard posted:

Terrell Suggs had two different issues too, with his girlfriend getting protective orders against him. Of course they got back a month later in the first case and then got married three days after she dropped the second one.

So two guys on the same team beat up their chicks then marry them immediately afterwards. Is Harbaugh presiding over these weddings?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Parlett316 posted:

So two guys on the same team beat up their chicks then marry them immediately afterwards. Is Harbaugh presiding over these weddings?

I mean, thinking of it purely as a business transaction(aka, an rear end in a top hat), marrying is probably the best option for both of the victims. Way more financial protections for a wife in situations like that than a girlfriend.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

I mean, thinking of it purely as a business transaction(aka, an rear end in a top hat), marrying is probably the best option for both of the victims. Way more financial protections for a wife in situations like that than a girlfriend.

Makes sense, but Christ that's bleak.

Lots of insufficient daddying with all these guys who claim they've got no choice but to fight a woman if pushed. I really expected the easy moral stance folks to come out against spousal abuse, not for.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

quote:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Source: NFL/NFLPA very recently began formal talks to raise marijuana test levels. Late for Josh Gordon, not others: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/josh-gordon-s-suspension-needs-to-prompt-nfl-players-to-finalize-drug-policy-082914

I guess if you're going to use hindsight for a PR nightmare you might as well go whole hog.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:( And yet hiring some women to keep you and some friends entertained on a boat in a lake is still so frowned upon. Goodell needs to fix this issue that Paul Tagliabue left him with.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I think this is a step in the right direction, but I worry that players might try to escalate stuff now if they worry that their spouse/so/girlfriend/life partner is going to call the cops and get them in even bigger trouble. How can they deal with that? I have no idea, its just something to be aware of the possibility of.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wtftastic posted:

I think this is a step in the right direction, but I worry that players might try to escalate stuff now if they worry that their spouse/so/girlfriend/life partner is going to call the cops and get them in even bigger trouble. How can they deal with that? I have no idea, its just something to be aware of the possibility of.

Just like banning weed pushes people to harsher drugs, punishing domestic violence will lead to murder.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

FizFashizzle posted:

Just like banning weed pushes people to harsher drugs, punishing domestic violence will lead to murder.

Banning Murder will lead to genocide.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Banning Murder will lead to genocide.

And genocide leads to Browns football.

Is that what you want, wtftastic? Do you want us to watch the Browns?!

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
"Bitch you scratched my Mercedes!"

"Who you calling a bitch!? ....YOU HIT ME!"

"oh poo poo"

And another Raven gets married

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dexo posted:

Because people never make mistakes, and should be instantly crucified and screwed out of applying their chosen trade.

Most dudes aren't going to be like, "welp I still have that one shot, lets take it." because 6 game checks for most players is still a gently caress ton of their income.

What the Six game penalty is a buffer zone between someone making a terrible decision in the moment, still getting punished for it because god knows that doesn't excuse it, and someone who is consistently getting into scuffles and attacking people.

Remember this isn't just Man on Woman Violence, or domestic, this is ANY violence against anyone.

Actually most dudes never make the mistake of KOing their wife on tape. Its dumb that they admit they made a mistake and are acting like its too late to do anything.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

A black eye is now known as a Baltimore promise ring

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Chokes McGee posted:

And genocide leads to Browns football.

Is that what you want, wtftastic? Do you want us to watch the Browns?!

I am so SORRY, GOD.

I'm not saying they need to not institute harder punishments, I think its a great idea. Its just important to think about the knock-on effects that could happen.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

And the First Casualty is?

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/08/31/report-dt-mcdonald-involved-in-domestic-violence-dispute/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

All the 9ers D-line getting busted, just in time for week 2.

• Locked thread