Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
this is advice for real coders only. if you're just a hobbiest programmer, it wont apply to you...

when i first started at my job, i was amazed by how much code other people wrote. hundreds, thousands of lines per day!! of course, all code is different, but i really hate spending a week on a hard problem and then feeling lovely for not having written any code, while some guy who added some css to a modal is getting all the babes.

so, i started running code formatters on random chunks of code. not entire files, mind you, but say, a few hundred lines of code, here and there. suddenly, i was keeping up with, even surpassing, other programmers.

my life has been easy and stress free ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
you can code on weed and it's actually p chill

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i like to listen to music while i code. sometimes i tap my fingers on my desk to the beat and it makes me feel good.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i have no idea what you're talking about op, but all i can say is copy & paste is your friend

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
If you're using a header file from outside your own code, just copy it into your own project. You'll boost your KLOC and be safe from anyone else making changes to it.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
op this is great and all but the way of the samurai is to remove more code than you add

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

FamDav posted:

op this is great and all but the way of the samurai is to remove more code than you add

which is why this is great. it's almost always a net zero, but you're still adding a poo poo load of code.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
methamphetamine

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
a great way to increase ur productivity is to constantly adjust ur environment. vim config doesn't feel right? spend the afternoon loving with it! don't like tthe way you organise everything? plan out a cool new folder structure. you could spend the hole day writing migration tools!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

be the guy that writes the stupid script that automates some small task: get appreciation from your colleagues and discover with horror a few years later that the script has grown into some kind gigantic lob montrosity and you have become irreplaceable, overpaid and depressed

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

FamDav posted:

Keep doing this until there is no code left at all, anywhere. Then we will finally be free

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

Squeezy Farm posted:

I can't

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

be the guy that writes the stupid script that automates some small task: get appreciation from your colleagues and discover with horror a few years later that the script has grown into some kind gigantic lob montrosity and you have become irreplaceable, overpaid and depressed

i have so many of those but idk what's supposed to be depressing about them

each business-running rube goldberg script is another jewel in my crown of job security

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Squeezy Farm posted:

:agreed: until a linker error totally kills your buzz

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

also adderall is p much cheat mode

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Egan Yardley posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol if caffeine isn't enough stimulant for u

also lol if u code I guess

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i've only been at this job for 6 months and this has already happened

~*lol'e*~

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gg=G

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

thanks to this special japanese trick your co-workers will appreciate you v much

Egan Yardley posted:

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 30, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

our eclipse setup does this automatically so you have to remember to use your imports before you save or whoops there they go

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Egan Yardley posted:

how do you shop for an addy script? want to take the fullest advantage of my privilege

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-62QgzmcDQ

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

you should probably ask your doctor

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Necc0 posted:

how do you shop for an addy script? want to take the fullest advantage of my privilege

you go to the doctor and say i want to be more productive at my high paying computer job and would like to purchase some vyvanse please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tiny Bug Child posted:

each business-running rube goldberg script is another jewel in my crown of job security

• Locked thread