Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Problem description: Built a new computer and I'm getting erratic behavior and constant bluescreens with different error codes

System specs: All parts are brand new except the graphics card
CPU: i5-4670
MB: ASRock H97 Pro4
SSDx2: Samsung EVO 840 250gb
PSU: Corsair CX750
RAM: PNY XLR8 2x8gb
GFX: Geforce 560 ti

Operating system: Windows 7x64 / Windows 8x64

Attempted fixes:
After the computer was first built I had it running on integrated video on Windows 7. Then the bluescreens started. Screenshot from bluescreenview below. Quick summary: DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA dominate. I am quite sure there were a few more that didn't show up in bsview, as well as at least two that happened later in windows 8.

Windows 7 was installed on SSD 0. After updating drivers for everything, and the bluescreens not going away, I ran memtest86+ overnight. 3 passes complete, no errors.

Windows 8 was then installed on SSD 1, just to rule the other drive out, and promptly bluescreened (I think it was IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) right after install.

Other strange intermittent errors I am getting:
* Chrome infrequently, but frequently enough to be a worry, gives me the an error when loading a page and fails. Reloading fixes it.
* After downloading the GeForce drivers, it failed to extract, saying CRC error. Rebooting (but not re-downloading the file) and it installed fine.
* I cannot install certain windows updates (in 7) as they terminate with error code 800B0100 (which as far as I can tell is just a 'gently caress you' error)
* In windows 8, I tried to load the mb ethernet drivers from a flash drive as windows doesn't seem to be able to autoinstall it. It repeatedly threw errors when trying to unzip the folder. Windows 8 is currently without network drivers so I haven't tested updates yet.

CPU temp seems to be stable at 40C

Things that have been recommended to me that I have not done yet:
* Rip out SSDs and install windows on a HDD and see what happens
* Update MB bios
* Install the windows error something tool that windows updates recommends, that will try and tell me what the windows update error is. Bonus: I tried doing this once but it bluescreened at 90%.
* Replace all the SATA cables
* Run memtest for 24+ hours. Is this really necessary?

e: updating as people keep tossing suggestions at me

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Did you connect the PCIe power connector? If not, do so and see if that helps. If that doesn't fix it, try with only one stick of RAM and see if the problem persists. Do you have another power supply you can test with? I would also try updating the BIOS from the utility within the BIOS itself. If an error occurs during the flash it could kill the board, but it may be the problem anyway.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Alereon posted:

Did you connect the PCIe power connector? If not, do so and see if that helps. If that doesn't fix it, try with only one stick of RAM and see if the problem persists. Do you have another power supply you can test with? I would also try updating the BIOS from the utility within the BIOS itself. If an error occurs during the flash it could kill the board, but it may be the problem anyway.

Yeah, PCIe power connector is plugged in. I don't have another power supply but I think I can probably borrow one I'll have to see what's available.

Would running with only one stick of ram fix any problems that memtest wouldn't catch?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
It can fix memory-related issues that don't appear in Memtest so it is worth trying. Also, just to confirm, I meant to check that you plugged in the power connector on the motherboard that supplies the PCIe slots, not just the videocard PCI Express Graphics connector. I was kind of vague there.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Alereon posted:

It can fix memory-related issues that don't appear in Memtest so it is worth trying. Also, just to confirm, I meant to check that you plugged in the power connector on the motherboard that supplies the PCIe slots, not just the videocard PCI Express Graphics connector. I was kind of vague there.

This guy? Yeah it's plugged in.

Went home for lunch and pulled a ram stick. It's running on one now for 10 minutes so so far so good.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Can you link the exact RAM you got?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Alereon posted:

Can you link the exact RAM you got?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8045512&CatId=11478

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
If it's possible to return it and get a dual-channel kit I'd do that.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Alereon posted:

If it's possible to return it and get a dual-channel kit I'd do that.

arg I bought these from a deal notice of slickdeals (or one of those places) and it was phrased as a 2x8 combo. I guess I just assumed it was a combo but it was really just 2x the same product to fit the parameters of the rebate.

Never had a problem running identical manufacturer ram in dual channel before though.

I'll let this run for a few days and if everything clears up I'll try and see if I can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I think it would be odd for this to work, but...

If the system runs fine with just one stick of RAM, and it runs fine with just one stick for BOTH sticks and there's no obvious dud, see if you can't kick the voltage up a very small amount in the system BIOS/UEFI setup. Like from 1.5V to no more than 1.51V. DDR3-1600 CL9 is a JEDEC spec, but depending on the DRAM batch, that might be right on the edge of stability. This would technically mean that the RAM was bad (not failed, just wrongly binned and unable to run at promised specs), but an extra hundredth of a volt is nothing, and if that makes it work, I'd just roll with it.

• Locked thread