Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
During the 2012 Iowa Republican Caucus a State Senator named Kent Sorenson switched his endorsement from Michele Bachmann to Ron Paul. It now turns out that he was paid $73,000 by the Paul campaign to do this.

quote:

Paul's campaign committee doled out $80,000 in legal fees this spring, according to federal campaign finance reports -- nearly twice as much as it spent on legal costs in all of 2013.

David A. Warrington, who served as general counsel to Paul’s 2012 presidential campaign, did not return requests for comment.

On Wednesday, Sorenson admitted in federal court what he had long adamantly denied: that he took thousands of dollars in payments from the campaigns of Bachmann and Paul in exchange for his endorsement.

The former state senator pleaded guilty to one count of causing a federal campaign committee to falsely report its expenditures and one count of obstruction of justice for giving false testimony to a state independent counsel investigating the payments.

Paul would go on to come in a close third place in the caucus. He was on pace to receive the most votes until a surprise New Years Day surge by Rick Santorum in a CNN poll just a few days before the event. Paul's campaign would stick around in Iowa, get its delegates elected to subsequent rounds and eventually have the majority of the Iowa delegation (futilely) vote for him in nomination at the convention. The state party was taken over by his allies for several years, finally being ousted last winter.

Ron Paul's grandson-in-law, Jesse Benton led Paul's 2008 and 2012 campaigns, as well as Rand Paul's 2010 Senate campaign. This year he was running Mitch McConnell's Senate campaign, a move that he privately admitted was purely in service of Rand's Presidential ambitions: get Mitch on your good side, hope he's the new Senate Majority Leader, and see what favors accrue to Rand in the coming years. That would probably include favorable scheduling for Rand's pet bills and fundraising support.

quote:

“Between you and me, I’m sort of holding my nose for two years because what we’re doing here is going to be a big benefit to Rand in ’16, so that’s my long vision,” Benton said in the call. Paul is believed to be gearing up for a run for president in 2016.

The other problem for Benton is that Sorenson says that "Jesse definitely knew" about the payment to switch his endorsement. As a result, Benton resigned today from the McConnell campaign.

quote:

Recently, there have been inaccurate press accounts and unsubstantiated media rumors about me and my role in past campaigns that are politically motivated, unfair and, most importantly, untrue. I hope those who know me recognize that I strive to be a man of integrity.

The press accounts and rumors are particularly hurtful because they are false.

However, what is most troubling to me is that they risk unfairly undermining and becoming a distraction to this reelection campaign.

While Demitri Kesari is no longer associated with the Pauls, Benton was the clear choice to run the Rand 2016 Presidential/Senate campaign. That's probably still the case, but there are documents still sealed in the Sorenson investigation that may implicate him further.

The question now is what effect this will have on Mitch's re-election and Rand's political ambitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I a world where the modern politician has eschewed simple pleasures for byzantine real estate deals, shady non-profits, and revolving door regulatory appointments it's good to know that Ron Paul still supports good old fashioned "Here's a big pile of cash, vote for me" bribery.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The best part is that we all questioned McConnell hiring this guy in the first place. This'll sever any recent goodwill between the two Senators from Kentucky.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I a world where the modern politician has eschewed simple pleasures for byzantine real estate deals, shady non-profits, and revolving door regulatory appointments it's good to know that Ron Paul still supports good old fashioned "Here's a big pile of cash, vote for me" bribery.

But it's fiat money, not "real" money.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
These dudes pull like $200,000/year to start, you can seriously get a senator to endorse you for just $70 grand? :eyepop:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

These dudes pull like $200,000/year to start, you can seriously get a senator to endorse you for just $70 grand? :eyepop:

Iowa State Senator, not US Senator. So it is more like $25,000 a year.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Joementum posted:

While Demitri Kesari is no longer associated with the Pauls, Benton was the clear choice to run the Rand 2016 Presidential/Senate campaign. That's probably still the case, but there are documents still sealed in the Sorenson investigation that may implicate him further.

The question now is what effect this will have on Mitch's re-election and Rand's political ambitions.

Can you run a presidential/senate campaign from jail?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Caros posted:

Can you run a presidential/senate campaign from jail?

Yes. Debs ran for his second time I think while in jail for draft resistance.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rent-A-Cop posted:

:lol: but did he pay in FIAT CURRENCY or Krugerrands?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Aliquid posted:

Yes. Debs ran for his second time I think while in jail for draft resistance.

Err, I was talking the campaign manager, but that is a good point.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

It was purestrain, baby.

Qublai Qhan
Dec 23, 2008

In Xanadu did Qublai Qhan
a stately taco eat,
when ALF the spacerat,
ran through to talk--
Of cabbages and kings
And whether pigs have wings.
I kind of don't care about this. I'm not really sure if I should, but it seems to me that politicians bribe each other for influence all the time. The fact that this was done blatantly with a pile o' cash instead of for some sort of favor points (redeemable for a job or future support) seems to make this slightly more honest rather than less so. Sure if we could get rid of all of the influence trading I'd also have a problem with this but if the only idea here is that 'well, he did something illegal and we can nail him so we're going to' I'm not sure I really care. I'm not saying don't move forward on the prosecutions, because I don't really have any sympathy here either, but it does seem kind of pointless.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I assume the reLOVEution defense has been, "Campaign finance laws shouldn't exist anyway, they're unconstitutional and in violation of all that the blah blah blah blah..."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He's not being prosecuted for the bribery either. The problem is that the Paul campaign mis-reported the spending as "legal fees" and the FEC wondered why they suddenly needed $73,000 more in legal fees one month.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Because of all these Goddamn liberal laws and regulations!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Joementum posted:

He's not being prosecuted for the bribery either. The problem is that the Paul campaign mis-reported the spending as "legal fees" and the FEC wondered why they suddenly needed $73,000 more in legal fees one month.

These are clearly the people we want running the country.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Qublai Qhan posted:

I kind of don't care about this. I'm not really sure if I should, but it seems to me that politicians bribe each other for influence all the time. The fact that this was done blatantly with a pile o' cash instead of for some sort of favor points (redeemable for a job or future support) seems to make this slightly more honest rather than less so. Sure if we could get rid of all of the influence trading I'd also have a problem with this but if the only idea here is that 'well, he did something illegal and we can nail him so we're going to' I'm not sure I really care. I'm not saying don't move forward on the prosecutions, because I don't really have any sympathy here either, but it does seem kind of pointless.

You're personally all evil in the world. Our system is gamed to the point where most corruption is legal. Finally somebody comes out and does something actionable and you pipe up just to groan out "I can't be bothered." Don't be bothered to post then, or to breathe.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

You're personally all evil in the world. Our system is gamed to the point where most corruption is legal. Finally somebody comes out and does something actionable and you pipe up just to groan out "I can't be bothered." Don't be bothered to post then, or to breathe.

We disagree on much, I agree on this. I mean seriously, the entire game has evolved to have a veneer of credibility. If you can't at least go through the proper channels, you're a either incredulous, lazy, incompetent, or a combination of those, and not someone who deserves to be in a position of authority.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
The most shocking thing about Blagojevich selling Obama's old seat was how completely blatant he was about it. That's not to say we shouldn't aggressively prosecute corruption in politics, but it definitely adds something when people are just so drat incompetent at it.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bribery is essentially legal, you simply have to funnel the money through the proper channels, which hilariously is money laundering. But hey, that's legal too!

So yeah, it's embarrassing that the suitcase full of cash is still used in American politics. Why are you taking all those jobs away from the lawyers and the 527 staffers?!?! :qq:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rand alPaul posted:

Bribery is essentially legal, you simply have to funnel the money through the proper channels, which hilariously is money laundering. But hey, that's legal too!

So yeah, it's embarrassing that the suitcase full of cash is still used in American politics. Why are you taking all those jobs away from the lawyers and the 527 staffers?!?! :qq:

You can still use a briefcase full of cash, as long as you keep a record of the serial numbers of the bills and attribute them as received in quantities under $200. If you're going to deliver a suitcase of cash to a bank for deposit, keep detailed records of the precisely legal route through which the precise bills were received.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

You can still use a briefcase full of cash, as long as you keep a record of the serial numbers of the bills and attribute them as received in quantities under $200. If you're going to deliver a suitcase of cash to a bank for deposit, keep detailed records of the precisely legal route through which the precise bills were received.

Wow, you appear super familiar with that information

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Imaginary GF posted:

Look man, I've given up fighting the system, do you have a low level office grunt position available? I'll sell out for 1.5x my student loans.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

:lol: but did he pay in FIAT CURRENCY or Krugerrands?

Jokes on him since the guy got bribed got paid in something worthless.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Not even the common decency to have some other organization do a money drop, let alone attempt to launder in any way possible.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Joementum posted:

Is it actually illegal to bribe someone to endorse? I mean endorsement is a private action, it's not done in any official capacity, right? Heck, many primaries are party-run affairs so there's not even a state-run election involved some of the time (though obviously not this time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jackson Taus posted:

Is it actually illegal to bribe someone to endorse? I mean endorsement is a private action, it's not done in any official capacity, right? Heck, many primaries are party-run affairs so there's not even a state-run election involved some of the time (though obviously not this time).

The answer is, depends how you do it. A flat out, 'If X then Y' ask is 100% illegal and should be prosecuted. An, 'If X then maybe Y or possibly Z' is legal, as long as it isn't phrased, 'If X then Y, and possibly Z'.

Now, the Supreme Court is a bit mixed on whether 'If X then either Y or Z' is legal. I'd expect to that resolved in whether they take up Blago's appeal.

• Locked thread