Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Problem description: So my niece dropped her ASUS Q200e touchscreen laptop, Windows 8, and managed to bust the screen. She bought a new one in the meantime but I'd like to get this one at least working again. The first problem was that the touchscreen was clicking constantly, which made logging in and doing anything problematic.

Attempted fixes: Googling returned the following from someone with a similar problem:

"Had the same problem. Glass cracked and the touchscreen is registering bogus clicks and I cannot control what happens on the desktop anymore.
Checked for replacement digitizers and they are way too expensive. So, I opened the back cover and unplugged digitizer (see snapshot). Now it still works fine with touchpad."

So I opened it up, gently yoinked the cable from its slot, reassembled, and the touchscreen was properly disabled but the touchpad mouse worked perfectly.

Problem one solved, for now. But this leads to problem 2:

Problem description: The keyboard works... but extremely sluggishly. I have to hold a key on the internal keyboard down for about a second to get it to register, and then a second later it will repeat the key like it should but very slowly, around two repetitions per second. If I want to type a capital letter I have to press Shift, wait a second, press the key, wait another second and it'll finally type.

Attempted fixes: I plugged in an external USB keyboard and it did the same thing.

Recent changes: See above. My suspicion is that even though PC Info in Control Panel says no touchscreen is available, something in the system still thinks there's a touch keyboard in the system and that's mucking up the works somehow. Other system components -- software loading, mouse movement and responsiveness, etc -- seem fine.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64-bit

System specs: ASUS Q200E Notebook PC

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Weird issues after physical damage. I am not optimistic that you will find a solution.

Can you yoink the cable for the internal keyboard and see if that improves the external's behavior?

I'd want to see if this persists across different OS installs - i.e. in a new Windows install or booted to a live Linux off a USB key.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Okay. So I did something that should either get me an IT job or disqualify me from Haus of Tech Support forever.

I went digging for a Q200e service manual only to find that ASUS does not believe in distributing such things, so I went with the next best solution: gather what info I could about which connector was which and trial-and-error to work out which one was the laptop's internal keyboard. The large black one slightly right of center in the pic was identified as the battery, so I started from far left (the one to the left of the digitizer one I previously disconnected) as that would be the easiest one to reconnect.

I disconnected that, restarted it, and now the internal keyboard seems fine. Touchscreen is still disconnected as it should be, touchpad works, wireless works, battery works, so I'm closing it up for now and calling it a day. I told my niece that it may well do something strange once she starts it up because I'm not 100% sure what it was that I disconnected, but I can't argue with results, and if she does find something that should work and doesn't that I'll reconnect that and resume on my next visit.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
The part you disconnected the cable from looks like the USB VGA Audio Power Button Board ( 60-NFQI01000-C02 ):

You said the left one is the second one you pulled? Webcam or microphone would be my guess, should be able to check device manager and see if anything is missing.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Fair enough -- I'm home now and said laptop is 160 miles away now, but I'll be able to check on it in a couple of weeks when I return. Thanks to all who commented.

• Locked thread