Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jerome Agricola posted:

He showed a lot of promise and I was excited about him this year. Let's just say that my expectations have somewhat tempered. I still think he has the potential but, I don't know, I'm sorta afraid that he'll be a total bust.

He can't be any worse than DeCoud was, and Atlanta got a Pro-Bowl out of him before his lovely pursuit angles finally hit escape velocity. He landed somewhere in cat country and I'm hoping he's good for a least a few blown coverages when the Panthers come to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Kirios posted:

Is Kenny Vaccaro any good? I thought he had a solid rookie year last year.

This was probably his worst game since starting. He had rookie coverage issues a bit last year but learns real fast and is multiple so the scheme fits him well.

The idea is that him playing under and Byrd being over kills the middle of the field and Lewis shuts down receivers on the edge. The other edge is a problem on paper. In reality, Vacarro missed too many tackles and Byrd played too far back from the line. It's very fixable if they just shift their positioning a bit, and it will be less noticeable vs teams without QBs who can do 4 progressions, which is a new skill for Ryan that he got very good at last year. I hope it looks better vs Brown's and I'll go into panic mode if it doesn't.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

This was probably his worst game since starting. He had rookie coverage issues a bit last year but learns real fast and is multiple so the scheme fits him well.

The idea is that him playing under and Byrd being over kills the middle of the field and Lewis shuts down receivers on the edge. The other edge is a problem on paper. In reality, Vacarro missed too many tackles and Byrd played too far back from the line. It's very fixable if they just shift their positioning a bit, and it will be less noticeable vs teams without QBs who can do 4 progressions, which is a new skill for Ryan that he got very good at last year. I hope it looks better vs Brown's and I'll go into panic mode if it doesn't.

He sucked at it last year because the line wouldn't hold up long enough to get past 1 or 2. He's had a 4-5 step progression since Julio was drafted, 2012 being the most successful in that span. Adding Jaquizz that year really helped because Turner couldn't catch a ball for poo poo.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Chilichimp posted:

He sucked at it last year because the line wouldn't hold up long enough to get past 1 or 2. He's had a 4-5 step progression since Julio was drafted, 2012 being the most successful in that span. Adding Jaquizz that year really helped because Turner couldn't catch a ball for poo poo.

He had a two-three most years and the good sense to throw the ball out of play if it wasn't there. You can see it in his stat splits. Last year he improved a ton because well, he had to.

He's become very good. Given the Flacco comparisons and jokes, he's vastly outgained him since.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

He had a two-three most years and the good sense to throw the ball out of play if it wasn't there. You can see it in his stat splits. Last year he improved a ton because well, he had to.

He's become very good. Given the Flacco comparisons and jokes, he's vastly outgained him since.

I'm probably conflating progression with the number of available targets.

Regardless, he's turned into an extremely efficient quarterback. It's annoying listening to other Atlanta fans who don't like him. Outside of being a manager at the Banana Republic, he doesn't have a lot of flaws. Some people just wanna watch the world get burned by a mobile QB's legs.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Just to join the chorus, this is a wonderful thread idea and several posters have made very very valuable contributions with the in-depth analysis. Keep it coming in week 2!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chilichimp posted:

Honestly even in the game this Sunday he still didn't have a ton of time before pressure was getting there, he was just going through his progressions and getting rid of the ball very quickly. There's been a lot of head shaking at how ineffective the Saints defensive line was at getting to Ryan, but part of that was that he was making good decisions and getting the ball out when he needed to. He's turned into a really good quarterback, which sucks because the Saints had a lot better shot at running the division when he was captain checkdown.

Thankfully, the Atlanta defense looks almost as bad as the Saints defense did, so the division is still pretty wide open.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

Honestly even in the game this Sunday he still didn't have a ton of time before pressure was getting there, he was just going through his progressions and getting rid of the ball very quickly. There's been a lot of head shaking at how ineffective the Saints defensive line was at getting to Ryan, but part of that was that he was making good decisions and getting the ball out when he needed to. He's turned into a really good quarterback, which sucks because the Saints had a lot better shot at running the division when he was captain checkdown.

Thankfully, the Atlanta defense looks almost as bad as the Saints defense did, so the division is still pretty wide open.

I think part of it was also that they let the linemen get away with tons of hooking on outside rushes. Every stunt Galette ran ended up with him and a DL falling over each other and when he went outside he'd just get dragged away.

I think it was equivalent for both teams and Drew definitely got away a few times where it looked marginal - just the style of officiating they have.

I DO have coaches cam, and a quick look has a few cool things I'd like to throw together, like Saints running my favorite Madden Play and Cooks just being open for like 5 seconds. I think Brees actually stopped and had to think because there were so many good places to throw the ball. Also Cooks is fast, god drat.

E: It says only for selected plays, so I might not get to look at the ones I want, like the 27 yard Jones completion where it really exposes how bad our zones were set up.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

I think part of it was also that they let the linemen get away with tons of hooking on outside rushes. Every stunt Galette ran ended up with him and a DL falling over each other and when he went outside he'd just get dragged away.

I think it was equivalent for both teams and Drew definitely got away a few times where it looked marginal - just the style of officiating they have.

I DO have coaches cam, and a quick look has a few cool things I'd like to throw together, like Saints running my favorite Madden Play and Cooks just being open for like 5 seconds. I think Brees actually stopped and had to think because there were so many good places to throw the ball. Also Cooks is fast, god drat.

E: It says only for selected plays, so I might not get to look at the ones I want, like the 27 yard Jones completion where it really exposes how bad our zones were set up.

I'm gonna say this. There is no way Gabe Carimi and Lamaar Holmes stopped Cam Jordan and Junior Galette for almost an entire half without some no-called holds... but nothing super-obvious jumps out at me from the game.

Ryan's time to throw was just disgustingly short in general (2.75 avg), and he scrambled remarkably well on Sunday, which is uncharacteristic of him. None of that explains how Gabe Carimi and Lamaar Holmes managed to hold an edge rush for 30 minutes of regulation football. Lamaar Holmes couldn't even play half of a football game without being gassed in 2013, and that was on an unsuccessful offense whose time of possession was understandably poo poo. Gabe Carimi is a first round bust who couldn't stick on the Buccaneers. You know, the team that famously worked out Richie Incognito because their offensive line is that bad. And it is that bad folks... Gabe was so nervous on his first snap at LT that he literally jumped up and fell face-first on the ground. He looked like one of those animals with a "play-dead" response to being attacked.

Remarkably Ryan was only pressured on 27% of his snaps. To say that I'm confused is an understatement. I'm happy the birds pulled out a tough win, but I just don't know how they did it. Maybe Carimi found himself. Maybe Holmes rode a bike 10 hours/day from December to September. Maybe Tice's relentless lovely humor and sucking up is worth it for this result.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 10, 2014

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Just a heads up, I think your analysis compares favorably to stuff people are getting paid for.

Thanks, although I don't think I have quite as deep an understanding (esp with some terminology) as some of these guys, I just really like the strategy of football a lot.

Though it was pretty cool that your link has the guy break down one of the exact plays I did. I should have some free time tomorrow to kick back and watch some game rewind so I'll have something for the week 2 thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
More film for the film gods!

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Eagle-Eye-How-The-Offense-Turned-The-Tide/56cbdf48-95cd-4ec1-bb4d-ce46b3f5510c

• Locked thread