Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Laranzu posted:

Any good neighborhood suggestions for the Ft. Meade area? Prefer less poo poo commute with stuff to do over Whitebread suburbs. Wife and two dogs.
You're in the Baltimore-DC corridor of hell. There is no such thing as a less poo poo commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mad Dragon posted:

You're in the Baltimore-DC corridor of hell. There is no such thing as a less poo poo commute.

I've lived in NoVA before. Less poo poo is 1 hour instead of 3

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
NoVa is so much nicer than Maryland it ain't even funny

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I really hate traffic, but as bad as Hawaii was I might go back instead of Maryland at this rate

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
A lot of people like Pasadena. It's about 30 mins away from base, but probably 45-1h in rush hour. I guess that's where you'd go if you like boats.

The Crofton/Odenton area is decent as far as traffic goes, the worst you face will probably be route 3 which could be hellish depending on how far south you are, and in the morning 32 is going to be slow but steady. It's nearby the Crofton town center which is like the white people area.

If you live up towards Glen Bernie you'll have a similar commute as Pasadena, but a little shorter. You're closer to Baltimore if you like hanging out in big cities, but you'd still have to drive there. This is also a bit closer to the mall. This area is the black people area.

Columbia is to the west, and it's more of your richer people area. They have a mall that hasn't had a shooting in almost a year. There can be traffic on 32 going east towards base, but whenever I've had to drive out to Columbia in the morning it hasn't looked too bad.

On the opposite side is Annapolis to the far east. Lots of stuff to do and you can hang out with the Naval Academy students. The distance is pretty far, almost an hour in rush hour I would say. It's a bit nicer than Pasadena, and has more stuff to do, but they are similar in coastal style.

Then you can live either North or South. Baltimore is closer, I know some people who live in the city. I hate driving and parking in cities so I usually avoid the place. Or you could live in DC, but you'd be living in north east DC -- don't live in north east DC.

You could swing living in VA, but it'll be a commute. The east side of the beltway isn't too terrible usually unless there's an accident or maybe a football game. Old Town Alexandria or Arlington are cool, but that drive..

If you go a bit southwest there's also Bethesda and Silverspring. These might be good compromises as far as traffic goes, but still could end up to an hour. They have towns to do stuff in though, and good metro access.

What sucks about north/south of the base is 295, the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. This road doesn't allow trucks and it's still poo poo in two directions. Maryland has the worst roads I've ever driven on, and the BW parkway is like a showcase for how poo poo they can be. I avoid driving on this road at almost all cost, with possible exceptions for just going from base to the airport.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I lived in Glen Burnie and it was okay-ish, but very sketchy in most places at night. Ellicott City is in Howard County which is one of the top counties to live in the country. It's a bit more expensive (900 for a one bedroom apartment, not what you need for your giant dogs) but really nice. Both options were about a 30 minute commute, but I left right before the big expansions to DISA and whatever the gently caress other agencies they added in the last 3 years.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Norfolk: "We have NINE GATES"

But one road leads to all of them.

When it takes a sailor 1.5 hours to drive 7 miles from downtown Norfolk to the pier, your base has a hosed up road network.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
NSA HR drive time = no additional time :smuggo:

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Angry Fish posted:

Norfolk: "We have NINE GATES"

But one road leads to all of them.

When it takes a sailor 1.5 hours to drive 7 miles from downtown Norfolk to the pier, your base has a hosed up road network.

I'm on little creek, but on the radio all I hear is 564 backed up past the 64 split and I say thank god I only have to go down Shore Drive

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
nine gates all on rapidgate traffic backed up to the loving moon, fpcon alpha

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
fat people loving suck

if youre fat, think about getting thinner

thats all, peace out

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

or kill yourself

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

TheQuietWilds posted:

or kill yourself

being dead will def help with your weight issue tbqh

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

fat people loving suck

thats all, peace out

It's a hormone imbalance Chief and I'm just big boned and the tape is skewed! !!! :negative: *eats Panda Express 6 times a day*

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
knew this asthmatic retard boot who claimed he had insomnia, but every night in garrison at like 9 or 10 this shithead would drive into town and grab a fuckin starbucks latte with 14 shots of espresso. then he would stay up all night and fall asleep midday and get loving hazed

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

knew this asthmatic retard boot who claimed he had insomnia, but every night in garrison at like 9 or 10 this shithead would drive into town and grab a fuckin starbucks latte with 14 shots of espresso. then he would stay up all night and fall asleep midday and get loving hazed

Did you draw dicks on his face in sharpie and give him a shitler?

If not, missed opportunity IMO

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Lol I loving love it when patients come in complaining of poo poo sleep and I come to find out they're staying up playing games with their friends or drinking copious amounts of alcohol/Red Bull mixed drinks. The blank stare of "Oh, that keeps me awake?" sort of shows why sometimes you just have to baby sit sailors.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

Lol I loving love it when patients come in complaining of poo poo sleep and I come to find out they're staying up playing games with their friends or drinking copious amounts of alcohol/Red Bull mixed drinks. The blank stare of "Oh, that keeps me awake?" sort of shows why sometimes you just have to baby sit sailors.

I wish people would just figure out that looking at screens late at night fucks up your circadian rhythm and natural melatonin production. If I had a nickel for every time I heard "I play call of duty until I get tired, but that's not until 2 am." Oh really? Staring at a bright light at the same wavelengths as daytime light playing a game scientifically designed to pump adrenaline into your system prevents you from feeling sleepy on a normal schedule? Who would have imagined?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

I was at the doc for my masturbation related injury and she actually had to take a phone call from someone asking what to do when a student popped 5 caffeine pills, drank a monster and then felt funny.

She asked if they were lucid and told them to stop being loving retarded in the future.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Laranzu posted:

I was at the doc for my masturbation related injury

Wait what

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Wife is out of town. You know.

Repetitive stress injury in my wrist from typing all goddamn day. Masturbation injury just sounds better.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Laranzu posted:

Wife is out of town. You know.

Makes sense to me.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just sat through the SWO detailer brief to humor my bossman. If I hadn't already made up my mind to get out, that brief pretty much sold it. It's like receiving an executive summary of everything wrong with the Navy.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Boon posted:

Just sat through the SWO detailer brief to humor my bossman. If I hadn't already made up my mind to get out, that brief pretty much sold it. It's like receiving an executive summary of everything wrong with the Navy.

" Seriously please stay in here is a pile of cash to drown yourself in when you realize how awful it is"

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
It's funny, the Navy isn't really that bad for me. Now that I've been in for a bit I don't have to deal with just generally stupid E-0's acting like high school kids. I'm done with IDW so I never have to think about any of that poo poo again. And I have an easy day collateral that requires about 0 interaction with the rest of the division so I'm not getting hassled to sell donuts for the Navy Day Ball or whatever. Life isn't bad, but as a first class put it to me, "re-enlisting is like giving a crackhead a blank check." 2 years 10 months to go.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

But how's your volunteering?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I aint got time for that poo poo. If I luck my way into an EP then cool. If they give it to CTN2 Collateral Queen then whatever. I got a P on my last eval so even if I did put in all the extra work I probably wouldn't land an EP anyways.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Hey navy dudes, this is pretty bad, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ktwo-k-onk&t=2s

(skip to about 2:25, I can't link timestamps)

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

pkells posted:

Hey navy dudes, this is pretty bad, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ktwo-k-onk&t=2s

(skip to about 2:25, I can't link timestamps)

lmao when crossing situations go wrong

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: lucky they didn't dump half those boxes in the water.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There Germany goes, starting poo poo again. I love the exultation when the collision happens.

Hey MML, were in the pipeline when they introduced the WTI course or are you familiar with it?

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 1, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
WALAWALAWALAWALAWALAWALAWALAWALA

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
I'm not a ship driver, but how do you collide like that in the middle of the day?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anytime a collision happens it's for a stupid reason and the explanation always seems like a ridiculous escapade.

That said, from what it seems like in the video, they tried to overtake and realized last moment that they were about to run into shoal and attempted to steer behind the other ship. There are just very few other explanations for turning right into a ship that is literally 300 yards on your beam.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Boon posted:

Anytime a collision happens it's for a stupid reason and the explanation always seems like a ridiculous escapade.

That said, from what it seems like in the video, they tried to overtake and realized last moment that they were about to run into shoal and attempted to steer behind the other ship. There are just very few other explanations for turning right into a ship that is literally 300 yards on your beam.

LEFT

NEVER CROSS TRAFFIC TURNING LEFT

Besides that, you could be right, which seems odd because if Suez is anything like Panama it's pretty controlled as far as speed and interval go and the channel is very well defined.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
As an aside I really hated transiting the Suez. The main reason was the lovely paper cups we had to drink out of which felt like they were dissolving as you were drinking out of them.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Snowdens Secret posted:

LEFT

NEVER CROSS TRAFFIC TURNING LEFT

Besides that, you could be right, which seems odd because if Suez is anything like Panama it's pretty controlled as far as speed and interval go and the channel is very well defined.

It is, but if our pilots were any indication, they don't always pay much attention. Usually when a Navy ship collides it's due to really erratic and frenzied maneuvers in traffic (see: PORTER) but it's interesting to see merchants smashing into each other.

Also, if they maneuvered to avoid grounding, they violated a very clearly stated canal rule (If chosing between collision and grounding, ground).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Boon posted:

Hey MML, were in the pipeline when they introduced the WTI course or are you familiar with it?

I am familiar with it, yes.

• Locked thread