Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

MaoistBanker posted:

Baseball could not possibly get any better right now.

Back2Back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Zwabu posted:

Totally. My Nats fanatic friend (who lives way closer to Baltimore than DC) dreads it though because he probably feels the Nats will be no match for Birdy Dinger Power and Pie Magic.

How DID the Orioles get here from over a decade of just miserable teams and results? Was there critical change in ownership or GM? I grew up with the Earl Weaver O's, Jim Palmer, Dennis and Tippy Martinez, Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken Jr. etc. where the team used to bring up good players through their farm system.

Was it just a simple matter of years worth of high draft picks finally working out?
I'd say it was a combination of a number of things. Andy MacPhail made a bunch of moves that are still paying dividends. Trading Bedard for 5 players including Chris Tillman and Adam Jones was the single biggest thing in my opinion as far as roster moves. I never really bought into managers having that big of an impact (especially after seeing so many O's managers fail miserably) on a team until the O's signed Buck. Those two moves really helped turn the "culture of losing" around. Other moves like trading Tejada, signing JJ Hardy, drafting/signing Wieters and Machado were pretty big as well. Some key low-risk, high reward signings in the past few years have panned out as well including Nate McLouth, Miguel Gonzalez and STEVE MOTHERFUCKING PEARCE.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Chexoid posted:

Back2Back

Yessssssss

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Chexoid posted:

Back2Back

Holy poo poo Joey Bats. Steve Simmons got #rekt

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MLB N/V October: i tweet myself

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
I've followed Bautista for a few years on Twitter and while he can occasionally come off as self-promoting, there has never been any doubt in my mind that he's running it himself.

Why would you say a thing so matter-of-factly if you clearly could not have had any confirmation it was a fact?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dr. Tommy John posted:

I've followed Bautista for a few years on Twitter and while he can occasionally come off as self-promoting, there has never been any doubt in my mind that he's running it himself.

Why would you say a thing so matter-of-factly if you clearly could not have had any confirmation it was a fact?
To soothe the burns.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Steve Simmons is the NHL equivalent of all those mega arrogant crotchety dudes who think WAR was maliciously put into the world by Satan's hand. speaking from complete ignorance is all he's got

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still don't understand why Joey Bats needed to be included in the discussion about deadline trades. Was Bautista upset at Toronto or something?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Bats and Reyes to the Mets for whatever they want.

Somebody play a Playoffs N/V already.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Rand alPaul posted:

I still don't understand why Joey Bats needed to be included in the discussion about deadline trades. Was Bautista upset at Toronto or something?
I think he's trying to say Toronto constantly makes no trades and still don't make the playoffs, but KC did and he's calling Joey Bats out.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Chexoid posted:

Back2Back

Goddamn I need a Joey Bats shirt or something.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Because Internet.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Rand alPaul posted:

its because of these Hard Hitting Comments he made:
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...dline-activity/

such vicious words

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Aye Doc posted:

its because of these Hard Hitting Comments he made:
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...dline-activity/

such vicious words

Wow what a dick, he has all the Internet wrath coming after that tirade.

"We still have a pretty good team" "there's still time" "it's a little bit of a disappointment"

Can't teams afford to send their players somewhere to pick up a little professional tact with the media?!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Harlock posted:

I think he's trying to say Toronto constantly makes no trades and still don't make the playoffs, but KC did and he's calling Joey Bats out.

Because Bautista somehow has influence over the Jays' GM or something? It's just a dumb way to tweet about that no matter how you cut it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Bats and Reyes to the Mets for whatever they want.

The Mets are building around a young core of pitching and figure to be contending next year, they're not going to start trading away their young talent for old and expensive players. The only Met I can see being traded is Colon because of his age and the sheer number of good arms on the club. Any other additions are likely to be FAs (maybe Lowrie if payroll's being kept down or Hanley if not).

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
New thread that no one bothered to link to, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

bawfuls posted:

A Dodgers Giants NLCS would be potentially awesome but it would also be extremely stressful and potentially soul crushing. I'd rather see the Giants get bounced in one game than roll the dice on a series.

I agree with this, but I think losing to the Angels in the WS would be worse than losing to the Giants in the NLCS. The Angel fans at work would be insufferable.

• Locked thread