Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Fejsze posted:

I just want to know why the hell Oliver peck went with the blazer and no shirt look. Still trying to decide if it's a step up from the cholo plaid he's been wearing all season...

Their outfits in finales are always great, this is at least the second finale where Oliver rocked the no shirt+blazer look. Nunez is the only one who ever dresses like a real person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

detectivemonkey posted:

Seriously? You watched that and thought "this is very realistic and certainly genuine"? Besides the fact that I don't buy for a second the idea that they knew what the tattoos looked like before they went on stage but didn't figure out who won.

Maybe I'm just way too cynical?

I totally agree about Josh that was weird as poo poo. I wish they'd talked more to the loser panel. They definitely did it less than in previous finales and relied on clips more.
Nothing about Ink Master is ever "very realistic and certainly genuine". However, I do believe the final decision was in fact determined in those closing moments. Jason actually winning was a big surprise, and I have no problem believing those three judges were prepared to punch the 'cleen button' and hit the afterparty ASAP before the special had even begun. I mean, they voted WITH AMERICA. That never happens! LIVE MAS

Also, was it weird how desaturated Cleen and Eric's tats appeared to be? Is a side-effect of color realism looking kind of faded a months or two after completion? Odd that they singled out Jason for a critique on background saturation when his was the only one that was vivid while pleasingly contrasting (new school style or not).

I figure they dodged around Josh because it's a litigious matter, but notice also that they reinvited him for one of the specials which shows just how much the producers care about rule violations defying the SPIRIT OF INK MASTER (it was probably more of a spike tv/viacom legal concern)

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 17, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Not Today Satan posted:

I was kind of underwhelmed by Cleen and Erik's final piece. If I had to wear any of them I'd prefer Jason's. Good on him for winning this thing, anxiety and all!

Man, that Ink Shrink show was a complete and utter joke.

Those shows they announced are so ridiculous, like some fake poo poo you'd see in some movie that was satirizing the entertainment industry.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I really thought Cleen was going to walk the finale but his 'master canvas' was really underwhelming. I thought it was hard to read and in no way photo-realistic. Eric's was OK but didn't wow me like previous finale tattoos have. Jason pretty much won by default this time. I thought his tattoo was good but I would have loved to see what Josh could do.

Oliver was right though. The challenge has to matter. Awarding Cleen the title because he's done better tattoos in the past would have been wrong. Chris annoyed me this season. He was clearly responsible for keeping Mark in the competition way past his due. He has zero integrity as far as I'm concerned and they should replace him with a judge who can actually judge based on the tattoo in front of them.

I hope next season gets a line-up of really talented artists without the bullshit drama and let's the tattoos speak for themselves... who am I kidding though.

At least Dave finds all the bullshit marketing he has to say funny.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

therobotking posted:

I really thought Cleen was going to walk the finale but his 'master canvas' was really underwhelming. I thought it was hard to read and in no way photo-realistic. Eric's was OK but didn't wow me like previous finale tattoos have. Jason pretty much won by default this time. I thought his tattoo was good but I would have loved to see what Josh could do.

Oliver was right though. The challenge has to matter. Awarding Cleen the title because he's done better tattoos in the past would have been wrong. Chris annoyed me this season. He was clearly responsible for keeping Mark in the competition way past his due. He has zero integrity as far as I'm concerned and they should replace him with a judge who can actually judge based on the tattoo in front of them.

I hope next season gets a line-up of really talented artists without the bullshit drama and let's the tattoos speak for themselves... who am I kidding though.

In past seasons I always felt like Nunez gave the better criticism but he definitely showed some bullshit favoritism this week.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

therobotking posted:

Don't quote me but I have heard through the grape vine that Chris hates doing the show and that this would be his last season.

This was a big shocker, I wonder if Cleen cried after the show. Can't wait until Aaron gets back in town so I can hear the stories about everything that went down, going in Saturday to get more work done on my back.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Throwdown posted:

Don't quote me but I have heard through the grape vine that Chris hates doing the show and that this would be his last season.

This was a big shocker, I wonder if Cleen cried after the show. Can't wait until Aaron gets back in town so I can hear the stories about everything that went down, going in Saturday to get more work done on my back.

Yeah I can see that. If I was contracted to do a show I didn't want to do I'd probably just say gently caress it and vote for my friends too.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I haven't seen anything so genuinely uplifting on TV in ages as the reaction shots from Jason when he was called out as the fan favourite. Everyone clearly expected it to be Cleen.

Regardless, the final canvases were a bit of a shocker. Erik was not my favourite through the whole thing and I wasn't surprised to see another travesty of composition, but the placement of it was also lovely (part of the raven seemed to go onto the back of the girl's arm?) - plus it was obviously not a photorealistic raven by any stretch. Cleen just hosed himself big time - maybe he thought he could ride on his performance/"top dog" status through the series and get away with doing something that didn't meet the challenge at all? Jason's tattoo was surprisingly an amazing take on new school, fit the back so well, told a story, the colours were great, and I guess it's hard when you're not there but I thought the saturation on it looked awesome? It was great to see him win rather than Cleen since he actually did step out of his comfort zone and pull an amazing piece.

So yeah, happy to see Jason win it. I still think Josh would have taken it if he hadn't screwed himself out of the competition though.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Josh definitely would been in the final showdown, which is what makes them willfully ignoring his situation all the more silly. Still, nothing is ever going to be as memorably heinous as them booting Craig, who I doubt has attended any Ink Master event after that season since it's reasonable to assume his shop is actually quite successful.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I wish they showed the Human Canvas who quitted's back. Does she just have a huge outline on it?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Probably, and it's even funnier because I have a feeling a flighty flake would actually be bothered by the revelation that their prospective tattoo won the competition and they missed out on a ton of attention and an icebreaker anecdote for life, while being left with something too big to feasibly cover up.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I'm happy for Bobby Hill Jason. I was firmly on Cleen's side until Dave brought up the Super Bowl comparison.

If anyone is able to take a picture, Cleen's expression when Jason gives him a hug after the winner is announced is incredible.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

When they revealed the final tattoos, I immediately liked Jason's the best, but felt sure it would go to Cleen. I'm genuinely glad that Oliver and Dave were so adamant that the final challenge had to matter as that's always been a sticking point with me in past seasons. I don't remember which season(s), but I could swear they've pulled a "I don't like your final tattoo a much as [competitor]'s, but you've been better overall, so you win" at least once.

What was the best was the live finale (season two or three, I think) where they immediately eliminated the person with the least viewer votes at the beginning of the show without even discussing the giant zombie fave back piece he did on some girl.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Was it just me, or did Dave say "meow" instead of "now" the whole live finale? Was that a thing he's done before?

I wish the "Chopped-style" competition of the holiday episodes becomes more of a thing. Not dragging artists through months of production and drama would make for better tattoos and better TV in my opinion. Also, they could drop the whole "16 of the best artists in the country, such as B-tat" schtick since it would just be "here's 4 artists and we're picking the best of those 4". But, there's no way to squeeze Taco Bell: Live Más into that.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

creationist believer posted:

Was it just me, or did Dave say "meow" instead of "now" the whole live finale? Was that a thing he's done before?

I wish the "Chopped-style" competition of the holiday episodes becomes more of a thing. Not dragging artists through months of production and drama would make for better tattoos and better TV in my opinion. Also, they could drop the whole "16 of the best artists in the country, such as B-tat" schtick since it would just be "here's 4 artists and we're picking the best of those 4". But, there's no way to squeeze Taco Bell: Live Más into that.

He does it on Twitter allllll the time. It's like, his thing? I guess?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

I swear I heard meow too, maybe Dave is a huge Supertroopers fan.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

He definitely did. I just checked his Twitter and he was talking about sneaking in meows where possible. He was talking openly about how he fully expected the win to go to Cleen. I found kind of nice to see him being open about his expectations, even when he was the one who became the deciding vote to the contrary. He also tweeted a picture of Jason flying coach lol.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oliver actually WAS wearing a shirt. Those definitely weren't his tattoos. And Nuñez will be back for more seasons, this isn't his last

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I think there's a show on CMT of all channels that does a similar competition per show called Tattoo Titans. I think Ami James has been a frequent guest on the show.

http://www.cmt.com/show/tattoo_titans/series.jhtml

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Anybody watching this Merry Ink special?

First person eliminated isn't a surprise.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
I think I like this "Chopped" format better.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

OmegaBR posted:

First person eliminated isn't a surprise.

I really hope they never bring her back ever again. I don't know why Chris Nunez has such a hard on for her work. It's nice to see Dave step up more and basically tell him he's being an idiot.

Also, loved seeing James Vaughn again. He's such a lovable southern teddy bear.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

KilGrey posted:

I really hope they never bring her back ever again. I don't know why Chris Nunez has such a hard on for her work. It's nice to see Dave step up more and basically tell him he's being an idiot.

Also, loved seeing James Vaughn again. He's such a lovable southern teddy bear.

I think she just had this streak in Season 2 where she woke up in the middle of the season and did 2 or 3 really amazing tattoos and everyone concluded that this was the kind of work she typically did. Then they brought her back and she never did anything that great again.

Lawd have mercy, it was great to see James Vaughn back. He's one of my favorite Ink Master personalities as well.

I can understand financially why Spike would rather develop a dozen artist personalities over a season, and build of the drama of fighting for the title of "Ink Master", but as a viewer I definitely enjoyed the tattoo -> critique -> tattoo -> critique -> tattoo -> critique -> winner format. Chopped, with 30 minute cooking segments, can probably be filmed in a day, but a Chopped-style Ink Master would require 3 days and would triple the production costs.

I just saw that Tattoo Titans can be watched legit online for cable cutters, so I suppose that's the rest of my weekend plans.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Ahahaha, the NYE special was one of the funniest things they've ever aired. Awkward trash talk across the board, CJ revealing her mental unwellness, and almost every single human canvas was a mournful trainwreck.

I don't think I've laughed harder at a single moment than when Oliver called the face on gentle jay's final tattoo "freakish & scary", when it was an eerie resemblance to the repulsive spraytan white trash beefjerky mummy it was inked on :roflolmao:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Tattoo Titans is a lot more watchable. Feels like there are a lot fewer repeated live mas segments. While the artists are usually kinda dumb, and a lot of the themes are dumb, they are only there for one episode, so there is new dumb on the regular, and the talking head segments appear to be well chosen and mercifully short. Still plenty of time to go horribly wrong next season.

Not sure how I feel about the critics yet, though I think the draw-perspective-poo poo over top of the tattoo works a whole lot better than failing to come up with new and snotty ways for Nunez say "that poo poo's just busted" for a whole season. Though the tattoo model hasn't said anything interesting or useful yet.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 31, 2014

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Watched a bit of that Framework show tonight. It really is just Ink Master with furniture, from the dramatic camera angles on the finished piece, to the celebrity judge who mostly makes comments on their effort without offering any constructive elaboration.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
There was an Ink Master special with Dave interviewing ex contestants and human canvases on earlier this week. I normally wouldn't have watched this but I saw that Mystical Mike was gonna be on it. They also had the human canvas who backed out on Jason for his backpiece. I was mad that they were giving her attention after pulling that stunt but Dave actually gave her some poo poo. They also showed her back from when she flaked and the whole outline was done. The cockeyed retard is now getting laser surgery removal for the whole thing.

Oh, Goon Girlfriend was on it too, said she was homeschooled

savinhill fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 9, 2015

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Mystical Mike's appearance made that whole snooze of a clipshow worth it. But it was indeed pleasantly surprising that Navarro was busting on that headcase with her eyes way too far apart. And that brief but hilarious clip of her getting sandblasted with the laser, which she needs to go and have 18 appointments for, lmao

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Her "oh, boy, a free tattoo" tattoo sure is going to end up costing her a gently caress ton.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Aaron sent me a video of himself wasted beyond belief in Germany so I uploaded it to youtube because it's loving funny and I like throwing him under the bus.

Aaron Is is wasted in Germany: http://youtu.be/jVVpOY9GPCQ

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

HE'S JUST LIKE REAL PEOPLE except with the earrings of your outspoken single aunt!

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

HE'S JUST LIKE REAL PEOPLE except with the earrings of your outspoken single aunt!

My aunt has huge plugs?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aw bless his little heart. :3:

Throwdown posted:

My aunt has huge plugs?

I'll say she does! :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I hope there's an upcoming Ink Master Valentine's Day special with Human Canvas couples getting bad tattoos that they'll regret even more than normal.

• Locked thread