Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Doing the yardwork.

Cleaning up around the house.

Even running errands.

Pets work hard for us. Who would hold down the couch, scare away menacing squirrels or dispose of vegetable cuttings without helpful pets around? Show off your faithful companion's most important jobs in this month's photo contest!

Theme: Working Pets
Contest Period: Sept 4-27
Voting Period: August 28-30
Winner gets a donation to the charity of their choice!

:siren: Please pay attention to the rules! There are only 5 of them! It's not that hard! :siren:

Rules:
  • Post photos or GIFs that fit the monthly theme. Be creative! Good photography not required. Basic photoshop to adjust levels etc is ok, no adding things though. Some filters such as turning an image black and white are fine, please refrain from going full instagram though.
  • You may post up to three images per theme (can be different pets). Please label them clearly as entries.
  • Any image submitted must have been taken/made during the duration of the contest. It doesn't have to be your pet, but you have to take the picture.
  • Please vote for one entry only per month and don’t vote for your own images!
  • Pets are considered any animal that lives in captivity and regularly interacts with people

There are some really fantastic photographers participating in these contests and I love it! For people who are feeling a little intimidated here are some links with pointers, but don't get scared off. Any level of photographic quality is fine!

Take better phone pictures
National Geographic tells you how to take better phone pictures
Basic composition techniques
Tips for photographing black dogs
Tips for photographing black cats
SA's own Dorkroom, ask photography questions there

Now go photograph some animals!

Previous Contests
Pose a Pet in May - Spring Showers
Pose a Pet in June - Ridiculous Pet Tongues
Pose a Pet in July(ish) - THAT SHOULDN'T BE THERE
Pose a Pet in September - FABULOUS PETS EDITION
Pose a Pet Halloween Lightning Round Spectacular
Pose a Pet November: Lights, Camera, Action!
Pose a Pet December: Celebrate Good Times (Come On!)
Pose a Pet January: Brand Spankin' New
Pose a Pet February: Think Inside the Box
Pose a Pet March: It's Easy Being Green
Pose a Pet April: Eager for Easter
Pose a Pet May: Up Close and Personal
Pose a Pet June: It's Black and White
Pose a Pet July: Wait, I'm Confused
Pose a Pet August: Summer Fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Entry 1: Garden Helper/ Official Broccoli Holder.

SuperTwo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 6, 2014

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

:)

Nerwign fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 7, 2014

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Entry 1: noble steed

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Entry 1: Cohen "helps" in the kitchen. Without additional direction, all she ever makes is kibble pie.

It's pretty gross.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Entry 1: Reese is a retired racing greyhound so now his job is to take long naps in the sun, and watch the grass grow.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Entry #1
Terra hard at work testing the integrity of all boxes in the house.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Entry 2. In order to herd the sheep first you must think like a sheep.

KittySpinEcho
Jun 8, 2013

Be bear aware!
Entry #1:

Expert grouse hunter and sharpshooter.

Entry #2

Dr. Alfred DVM.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Only a couple more days to post! I need to get my cats working hard! (Yeah right)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm having a bunch of lovely farm issues to deal with so I'm extending this month's contest until next Friday, the 3rd.

Your super cute pictures made me feel a lot better today though so thanks for your entries :unsmith:

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Ok! In that case I can post this one I took last night!!

Entry #2
My Fiance is surrounded!! The cats are ever keeping guard for any rule breaking or silly behavior.

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

Everyone has to pull their weight around this house. Just recently having been born is no excuse to slack off. As such here are some of the newest members of the household helping out.

Entry 1: Day old baby "skinny" guinea pig is ready to repair your tiny things.

Entry 2: Day old baby guinea pig wants to bake you a cake.

Entry 3: This day old baby guinea pig is working on his modeling portfolio to submit to Calvin Klein.

Nerwign fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 30, 2014

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Entry one: Surma on beach patrol, defending plants everywhere from not being peed on:

Entry two: Surma is unimpressed with my progress re-doing the entrance

Aggressive pricing fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 1, 2014

biggest platypus
Mar 10, 2014
Entry one:

Tumbles is three and a half months old, time to learn to code so she can start earning her keep.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Fraction urged me to enter, so *drumroll please* ok I am doing it!

Entry 1

Sigma sure loves hunting.

Entry 2

Cesar says give a dog a job, right luscious?

Entry 3

Carrying big sticks is considered work, right?

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 3, 2014

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Some awesome last minute entries! I love that each month there are new participants with totally awesome pets. Let voting time begin! Remember voting is open for anyone but only vote for one and don't vote for yourself. I will tally votes Monday morning.

SuperTwo

SuperTwo posted:

Entry 1: Garden Helper/ Official Broccoli Holder.

Fraction

Fraction posted:

Entry 1: noble steed

a life less

a life less posted:

Entry 1: Cohen "helps" in the kitchen. Without additional direction, all she ever makes is kibble pie.

It's pretty gross.

Entry 2. In order to herd the sheep first you must think like a sheep.

Fuzz Feets

Fuzz Feets posted:

Entry 1: Reese is a retired racing greyhound so now his job is to take long naps in the sun, and watch the grass grow.

Buggiezor

Buggiezor posted:

Entry #1
Terra hard at work testing the integrity of all boxes in the house.

Entry #2
My Fiance is surrounded!! The cats are ever keeping guard for any rule breaking or silly behavior.

KittySpinEcho

KittySpinEcho posted:

Entry #1:

Expert grouse hunter and sharpshooter.

Entry #2

Dr. Alfred DVM.

Nerwign

Nerwign posted:

Everyone has to pull their weight around this house. Just recently having been born is no excuse to slack off. As such here are some of the newest members of the household helping out.

Entry 1: Day old baby "skinny" guinea pig is ready to repair your tiny things.

Entry 2: Day old baby guinea pig wants to bake you a cake.

Entry 3: This day old baby guinea pig is working on his modeling portfolio to submit to Calvin Klein.

Aggressive pricing

Aggressive pricing posted:

Entry one: Surma on beach patrol, defending plants everywhere from not being peed on:

Entry two: Surma is unimpressed with my progress re-doing the entrance

biggest platypus

biggest platypus posted:

Entry one:

Tumbles is three and a half months old, time to learn to code so she can start earning her keep.

adventures in the sandbox

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Fraction urged me to enter, so *drumroll please* ok I am doing it!

Entry 1

Sigma sure loves hunting.

Entry 2

Cesar says give a dog a job, right luscious?

Entry 3

Carrying big sticks is considered work, right?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I vote for KittySpinEcho #2.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
Fraction #1

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

Voting for KittySpinEcho Entry #1:

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
A life less, entry one

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

KittySpinEcho entry #2

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Aggressive pricing Entry 2

KittySpinEcho
Jun 8, 2013

Be bear aware!
I'd like to vote for Nerwign, Entry #2. Everything about this is so unbelievably adorable.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

adventure in the sandbox entry 1

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Fraction. I had to vote for the other gsd entry ;)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I whine about Nerwign winning all the time but Nerwign's #2 is too loving amazing god drat it

biggest platypus
Mar 10, 2014
There are so many great ones!! KittySpinEcho #2

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

PS I haven't won one of these contests since you all said you would never vote for me again if I didn't put an essay together about my zoo and I did but still no one voted for me so don't feel bad about doing it now. :P

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Oh, I missed that!

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Nerwign 2. Engineering himself some fur

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Nerwign posted:

PS I haven't won one of these contests since you all said you would never vote for me again if I didn't put an essay together about my zoo and I did but still no one voted for me so don't feel bad about doing it now. :P

So get on it, missy!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Nerwign #3. Can't handle it.

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006
A life Less Entry #1

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Well, goons and goonettes we have ourselves a tie! I would tie break it but I really can't choose between them so you both win!

Newcomer KittySpinEcho with amazing combo of Good Dog and Orange Cat:

and Nerwign, who always deserves to win but took it to the next level this month with this guinea pig. Tiny pig with tiny foods!

Let me know if there is specific charity you would like me to donate to in your honor! Nerwign, I know you do raptor rehab so I'd be happy to send your prize to you personally to put mice in those beaks even if you aren't an official charity.

This month's contest will be up shortly!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

New thread is up!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Yay I read this thread for the first time in months and months and ML made an inside joke and now I feel psychic.

KittySpinEcho
Jun 8, 2013

Be bear aware!

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Let me know if there is specific charity you would like me to donate to in your honor! Nerwign, I know you do raptor rehab so I'd be happy to send your prize to you personally to put mice in those beaks even if you aren't an official charity.

This month's contest will be up shortly!

Thanks for the votes everyone, that was a lot of fun!

Instant Jellyfish, I would love if you could make a donation to the Humane Society of Canada on my behalf. Thank you so much for doing that, I'm sure it will be put to good use.

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

I am not sure I'm able to use the message feature here and my birds would love more mice/rats/quail/roaches/superworms to stuff into their beaks (I can post pics!)

If you donate via the internets I have paypal at nerwign@sonic.net. If you do snail mail please email me for address? Or did you send me stickers once? Was that you? They were cute. Same address. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

KittySpinEcho posted:

Thanks for the votes everyone, that was a lot of fun!

Instant Jellyfish, I would love if you could make a donation to the Humane Society of Canada on my behalf. Thank you so much for doing that, I'm sure it will be put to good use.

Done.

Nerwign posted:

I am not sure I'm able to use the message feature here and my birds would love more mice/rats/quail/roaches/superworms to stuff into their beaks (I can post pics!)

If you donate via the internets I have paypal at nerwign@sonic.net. If you do snail mail please email me for address? Or did you send me stickers once? Was that you? They were cute. Same address. :)

And done.

Thanks for participating everyone! See you next month!

• Locked thread