Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

"You forgot to mention 'alleged necromancer,' and confirmation or denial thereof," Eater contributed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Paschal
M:(11/11)E:0; S:(11/11)E:0; I(17/17)E:1; Armor: 1; XP:0

The outburst takes Paschal by surprise, but he covers it with a laugh that only sounds slightly forced. "A misunderstanding I don't care to repeat," he says easily. "It is rather hard to debate the finer points of my craft when the other party is seeking to have me hanged, quartered, and put to the torch. No I can honestly say I have never attempted to capture souls, animate the mindless bodies of the recently deceased, or any other sort of darker sorcery."

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Ohrmazd: M:(12/15)E:1; S:(10/10)E:1; I(7/7)E:0; XP:0

Ohrmazd finally speaks up. "Only of the recently deceased? I can imagine that may be what is causing the problems. After all, while a recently fallen human is hard to tell from a live one. It is the decomposition of a necromancer's charges which aids his fell reputation."

"Still, I suppose since introductions are in order, I shall not conceal mine any longer. I am Ohrmazd. A wandering Glaive who awoke in a glass tube. Now, I am certain this has illuminated you all into my nature." a smile passes his lips. "At least as much as I know of it."

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Susan-Who-Goes
M:(10/10)E:0; S:(11/11)E:0; I(15/15)E:1; XP:0

Coming from a background where everyone knew everyone, Susan was still not used to meeting new faces on such a regular basis. Doubly so when she was fresh off of her first boat ride, and dead tired to boot. At such, she largely fell back on the old shaman's standby – watchful, stoic silence. However Ohrmazd's introduction promoted her to speak.

"I am Susan, of the Argari, and Mazu's traveling companion as of late. May..." Here she trailed off for a second, looking more closely at Ohrmazd. Didn't she... know the man? Susan's normally superb memory failed her. Prehaps she was too tired for her own good. "May spirits bless you all." she finished, somewhat lamely.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater
M:(12/13)E:0; S:(12/12)E:0; I(13/13)E:1; XP:0
Flex Skill: Perception

"What is a mother but a glass jar full of horrors, waiting to be opened?" Eater gives an apologetic shrug. "Its not Rum's finest musing; the man had some issues regarding his existence."

"And I believe we were headed for the sea, or for shelter and sustenance. Whichever we decided on. A townswoman who called us beggars suggested the Priests, though I'm not sure if she thought we lacked shins or knowledge."

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
In the absence of a plan of action, Charus Loryn begins wandering off towards the shore to the north, away from the dock where the Monstra Viam is, and closer to the shacks and small homes of the fishermen. Following him, the rest of you pass by others running around town, some heading to parties and feasts, others to inns and pubs to go drinking. Onagers and destriers bray and bite at each other as they sit next to each other in the various stables, and more and more windows show the glow of lamps or glowglobes as the sky darkens into purple and blue.

As you approach the beach, you see a large bonfire burning, with a few smaller fires around it, and groups of men, stripped to the waist, throwing things onto them all. On the large one, you see the glowing remains of large bones, and the smoke is heavy with the wonderful taste of cooked fat. The smaller ones seem to be cooking fires as well, and a group of musicians are playing a tune so that men and women dance to it. Above you, water-bills and other small fliers coast on the warm airs, perhaps hoping there will be remains for them to scavenge.

A man comes up to you all, he is bronzed, clearly from working on the waters every day, and his bristly beard is rimed with sea salt, and his tall staff of driftwood is taller than he is. "Welcome, welcome!" he says to you all. "I do not recognize your faces, you must be new arrivals then? Have you come to see our liturgy for the Lord of the Waters?" He sees Mazu's uniform. "Ah! A Ghanic lass! You must have heard the calling in your legs when you arrived here! I have heard of the elaborate rituals performed in your land, and though we may not be able to compete with the richness of your own, in feeling and in devotion I know you will find us equal!" He lifts his stave. "But I forget myself! I am the priest Kula, and some call me the leader of the fishermen here in town. How may I help you?"

a spy, Charus hears in the shifting of the sand under his feet.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Charus Loryn
M:(12/12)E:0; S:(14/14)E:1; I(13/14)E:0; XP:0

Charus muses as they wander along the beautiful sunset, and speaks to Susan. "You are the one who goes, are you not? With not a knot, but a mouth for machines? What is it like, the voices in plenum you perceive of power and presence and prescience?"

(He's asking if she hears voices the way he does.)

When they get to the shore, he gives his hand to the larger man, along with a big grin and a tip of his hat. "We've come to play in this bay, which seems suited to bray and pray! But prey, lend us a legend of the Lord of Liquids and Lapping, oh leader of these living linemen! Or better, tell the sands to be silent, lest they sing songs of sooth and sιance when it's time for lopers and lies, and I shall spin the scrolls straightaway!"

Before the man can respond, he twists by him and joins the musicians in their merrymaking, picking up the tune and beginning to sing.

But listen here as fires roast
and the lights slide from me!
Give the Lord of Waters due
to keep the oceans free!

He sits atop a coral throne,
enormous as can be,
armor green and glittering,
at the bottom of the sea.

He sees it all from deep below,
and the clouds that ever be,
but curse not yet his fire's toll,
lest roaring you shall see!

But Uluz knows how faring goes,
across cold, ancient seas,
and winds and rain or even snows,
the fish will bite for thee.

Merry-make and fishers take
the fish right from the sea.
Salt is sharp and salt is won
from the giving oceans free!

So listen here as fires roast
and the lights slide from me!
Give the Lord of Waters due
from the giving oceans free.

(OOC: I have no idea if any of this is cannon about the Lord of Waters, but I hope it can be.)

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Ohrmazd goes forth to shake Kula's hand. "It is good to encounter a vessel of another's light. I would like to meet your lord, he sounds worthy."

"Of course, I am sure he is busy watching the rites of your dancers. Instead may I ask you about this city. It seems a wondrous place filled with many numenera. I presume its history is glorious and accomplished to match them?"

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 23, 2014

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Paschal

Bowing theatrically Paschal gestures toward the merry making madman before speaking, "I am the great Paschal, spiritist and master mentalist. My companion and I are travelling entertainers, only just arrived in Harmuth. We've come to provide the people of your city with all manner of amusement. Feats of skill, oration, mysticism, and more are all within our purview." He raises his arms in a gesture of supplication. "Of course we would not dare to take a single coin without first seeking the blessing of this grand community's prominent citizens, as you so obviously are."

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

As Charus joins the liturgy, the worshipers are at first surprised, but then delighted by the strangely-dressed foreigner. They let him cavort and the musicians and dancers easily shift their tempo and movements to follow his lead. With his song done, they applaud him generously, and a crown of dried seaweed is placed on his brow. Kula is paternally friendly at the sight. "A wonderful voice, but something of a strange fellow isn't he?" he asks generally.

After Ohrmazd's greeting, he beams. "Why yes, our Benefactor and Bounteous Lord is universally acknowledged, for is it not his domain that encompasses and entirely sustains our own lands? We have even received delegations from the strange creatures who live below the waves, and they themselves recognize the coral king's sovereignty. As for our fair city, it is indeed a home to many ancient works. And glory! Not a hundred years ago it was our regiment of foot that helped beat back the northern aggression at the Fallen Stele, holding the last open pass through the razor fields. And it was our sailors who found the strange forest in the western seas. While you're here, you'll see plenty of glory."

And to Paschal, he is respectful. "Oh ho, I appreciate your polite bearing, but flattery will get you nowhere!" It seems like your words might have fallen on deaf ears, until he smiles. "BUT, I do have something of an ear with the Ealdorman, strange being as he is. I've learned how to best deal with him, which not everyone understands. I'm sure I can convince him your spiritual gifts are real blessings, as opposed to unlawful necromancy."

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

Eater watched the proceedings with an interested eye but her attention was elsewhere. Namely Kula's reference to nearly everyone else as "strange," and the delicious smell of cooked meat. Her stomach grumbled in reminder she hadn't eaten today. Maneuvering to stand a little less downwind of the bonfires, she introduced herself.

"I'm Eater, another strange fellow, as you'd probably put it." She smiled. "Is Harmuth really such a place for us? It seemed quite normal from the outside, like a fresh-picked apple." Another grumble at the mention of food.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Sorry about my absence, will be back very soon. See here for details.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Susan-Who-Goes

Charus posted:

Charus muses as they wander along the beautiful sunset, and speaks to Susan. "You are the one who goes, are you not? With not a knot, but a mouth for machines? What is it like, the voices in plenum you perceive of power and presence and prescience?"

At the sound of her earned name, Susan stops up short, and gives the flamboyant man a long, penetrating stare. Then, not bothering to reply immediately, she fell back into pace with the group considering. She had initially dismissed Charus as just a fast-talking entertainer, just one of many she had stumbled across in her travels along the margins of this strange land. But having looked at the man, really looked, she could see that there was something more. There was a gleam in his eyes, one that she had only seen in the eyes of those unlucky holy persons whom live more in the next world than this one. His jabbering then was no mere routine, meant to work crowds of simpletons. Or perhaps there were crowds, which even her eyes could not see? Who knew. Beyond that, there was, when she considered her impression of him, something... impermanent about the man, like a dream just after waking. Susan was uncertain what this all meant, but it was clear that she would have to step carefully.

After some moments – most of which was spent deciphering exactly what Charus had asked her – Susan made her reply, breaking in during a lull in Charus's patter.

"I am indeed She Who Goes, o Flickering One. You asked of voices. The voices of which you speak of are the voices of the spirits, which surround us and live in all things. I see and hear many things, but I am blessed to know the most of spirits of the earth and the air and the ancestors. Of those, most are asleep, and only speak back when cajoled. Fewer are awake, and will speak at their pleasure. Fewest yet are the Deep, whom do not speak. Those ones merely Are, and can only be reached via Becoming." Here Susan paused for a moment, striding thoughtfully as she picked her next words. "What do you, o Fluttering man, know of the spirits?"

Hope it's not too presumptive for Susan to get some mystic insight into Charus's... conditions.

At the beach gathering, Susan keeps largely to herself, silently absorbing the strange but somehow comforting scene. She does speak up at the mention of the Ealdorman, though.

"Is it true that Ealdorman Stenwith is looking for those who know the secrets of the numenera?"

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Paschal

"Very kind of you," Paschal says with another slight bow. "I admit I know little of the man, and share some of the young woman's curiosity. Perhaps you have some advice for how best to present our case to him?"

Beneath the pleasant smile and small talk Paschal's attention focuses. While the kindly priest's words might offer useful insights, his thoughts and emotions presented a much deeper well of information. One only needed to know how to draw from it.

Committing thought robbery.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Mazu Ikate
M:(11/11)E:0; S:(13/13)E:1; I(12/12)E:0; XP:0

Mazu grins widely at Kula's introduction and thumps her chest with a fist. "Aye, the calling strums deep in my marrow. I've been like a Malik dragged upon deck since we made port." She laughs and gives the same short bow she gave before. "Sawaati kaa, Kula. Mazu Ikate, engineer and technical adviser to the Fleet of Ghan. I'm sure your rituals are just as worthy as Ghan's."

—

Mazu steps closer to the fire to watch Charus lead the song, and her eyes slowly close as a smile grows across her face. At the end she sighs lightly and looks out towards the setting sun. "Ancestors, send us your blessings, so we may brave the storms that face us ahead."

She waits for the reply to Susan's question by warming her hands on the fire. She tries to ignore the smell of grilling meat the best she can.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Kula's expression shifts into one of understanding at Susan's question. "Aahh, you must be the new experts, not a single merchant doesn't leave town without a bundle of flyers he saddles them with to hand out to anyone and everyone,," he looks you over once more, paying special attention to Paschal's cube and other accoutrements. "If you're meeting with Stenwith, he'll be keen to quiz you on your knowledge. The last person who came here claiming to be an expert at the numenera managed to get himself turned to dust in the catacombs of the civic temple. The smell took weeks to dissipate, and Stenwith was furious at the desecration, though you wouldn't be able to tell just looking at him."

"Aha, sometimes I forget that not everyone knows our Ealdorman's different. He's not a man, but one of those Golthiar creatures. He speaks well enough, better than most, actually, but his voice tends to sound... monotone to most. They find it difficult to understand just what he's trying to emphasize, so he overcompensates a little, tells people exactly what his speech is meant to be. As long as you're aware he does it to everyone, you'll be less likely to stamp out of his office complaining about him patronizing you, like some visitors do. He's mentioned that among his own people, he can speak without words, but alas and alack, we men do not communicate by color."

As he speaks, Paschal lightly rummages through his thoughts. A little bit of condescensionhehearsstomachsgrumblinglikehedidasachild, nothing too- wait. Paschal pushes himself, and can feel something intriguing in the other man's thoughts... recognition? But it's sharpsharplikeseeingyourfatheronatreebranch, an unexpected event. Paschal closes his eyes, and pushes further. It's coming from... notSusannotMenotMazu... Ohrmazd? But why should he recognize him?

But Kula is unaware of the searching. He smiles at Eater. "No need to worry. As long as you abide the law, you'll fit in just fine. Please, feel free to join us as we finish the ceremony. If you'll excuse me, I need to complete the main prayer before red Verthandi rises above the Riage. Bad omen should she watch over our rites." With that, he takes his leave, and speaks his words of worship into the sea breeze. After he is done, you are all invited to join in the sharing of the cooked fish, with plenty of flatbread and vegetables to go along. Taken by Charus' performance, a couple even offer to allow you to sleep on their main floor that evening.

----------------
Even before dawn, you hear the fishermen take to sea. But for you, there is another goal - to meet with the Ealdorman. Agia, the housewife who took you in, says you can go straight to the town hall, but early in the morning Stenwith is often in the civic shrine. Either one.

Moving on a bit more! Feel free to narrate about the meal and the night. Anyone have any dreams? Anyone snore?

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Seating cross legged upon the ground, Ohrmazd takes a cautious bite of the fish. Then smiles. "This is surely a great gift from your lord. This meat is delicate and incredibly delicious. I imagine this brings in quite a lot of wealth for this city. You have shared your bounty with us, and treated us as honoured guests. I pledge to repay your respect by any means I can."

—

During the night, Ohrmazd sleeps, but fitfully. From the darkness of his buried memories arise images. Black and white compared to the many coloured now he sees by the light of day. Pursuits and battles, wars and crusades, cities consumed in flames. Numenera and flesh, intertwined, rejected, and reshaped.

—

Dawn finds Ohrmazd awake, watching the fishermen go to earn their lives on the seas. A Golthiar. The name rings no bells, but Ohrmazd takes comfort in that. Few things are known to him now, and if the Golthiar are counted amongst these unknowns, it means the Ealdorman is less likely to be an enemy.

When the others are up and outside, he voices his opinion. "We should visit the shrine. The Ealdorman may be there, and it is as good a place as any to begin."

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

Eater digs in with gusto, finishing her allotted portion among the fastest before sitting back and giving a belch of contentment. "Like the morning sun on the crystal fields that was well welcomed. Thank you."

Sleeping takes place in a corner of the room, curled around her bag of possessions. She didn't dream, not tonight. But she awakens early, performing little numenera tweaks to freshen up and clean the dust from her robes.

"Agreed, my well-thewed companion. The night has seen us rested and our purpose remains in sight. Meet with the unusual man of the village and ascertain what it will take to get us closer to the secrets below." As she finished brushing bits of straw from her head and shoulders she racked her brains for knowledge on the strange being known as the Ealdorman.

Changing my flex skill to Negotiation. Also rolling Intellect: Golthiar info: 1d20 8.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Susan-Who-Goes

Susan had only just barely learned to stand the taste of seafood, and was thus glad to taste fresh bread and vegetables for the first time in days. Susan spent most the the evening quiet and observational, occasionally leaning over to speak a quiet question to Mazu about this or that. The only exception was when one of the townswomen – a stout, redfaced woman who was clearly none too sober – decided that Susan reminded her of her daughter, and that Susan therefore needed to hear a slurred accounting of her extended family's petty gossip. Thankfully, the invitation to sleep gave the bone tired Susan a chance to extract herself.

If the spirts had left her visions in the night, Susan was too weary to remember them. Groggily accepting a cup of warm something pressed into her hand by the generous housewife, Susan considers her options.

"I think it will be best to proceed to the town hall, even if we must wait for the Ealdorman. A bird is always happiest in his nest, after all."

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater
Flex Skill: Negotiation

"Yes, but for the hawk there is no such thing as breakfast in bed."

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Susan-Who-Goes

Susan sips her drink, and involuntary wrinkles her nose when she discovers it to be some sort of fish stew. Going to have to get used to this. "Ah. so Golthiar are hawks then? All the better to avoid becoming breakfast"

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Recalling the weeks she spent with the Alchemists of Orind, Eater remembers one of that esoteric sect by the name of jNa. jNa had a great library of accounts of visitants, from the Augurs of Kala to Diruk and Varjellen. The man explained once about Golthiar, Eater remembers that much, but beyond the fact that they subsist like plants on water, sun, and dirt (and were thus, in addition to their literal existence as creatures with will and intellect, had a metaphorical meaning of how the intellect subsists on the most basic facts of the universe, but refines them into truth), she is lost in the recollection among the many alembics, retorts, the tools of cupellation, and the many annotated texts he had on his walls to help him in his search to find the plasma of life, that tincture that would restore wholeness to anything, no matter how long-dead.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

"Less feathers, more, well." Eater's brow furrows as she tries to put into words that fume-filled experience. "Something else. Not like you or I, more...ethereal. They live like plants but ones that thrive in soil watered by thought as well as sun and water. And possibly have a deeper connection to reality than us. So perhaps the Ealdorman can read minds, or give the appearance of such? I'm starting to see what Kula meant, last night. We will have to tread cautiously in this first encounter."

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Paschal

"I'll not stalk the man about town like a thief or sycophant," Paschal says. "If I am to strike any sort of official bargain it will not be done through whispers in a crowded shrine."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Charus Loryn
M:(12/12)E:0; S:(14/14)E:1; I(13/14)E:0; XP:0; Flex Skill: Entertaining

He ate dinner in almost silence, and felt almost ethereal as the sun disappeared beyond the horizon. He sang a few more songs for the crowd after dinner, accepting payment in drink and lodgings for his travelling fellows. But the whole time, Susan's question dug at him. At the time, he had simply replied an absence of knowledge about them, but the answer was as unsatisfactory to himself as it had seemed to her.

So he thought about it through the night, over perfect fish and beautiful weather, and more as he laid awake on the couple's floor, staring at the ceiling and trying to see it for what he knew it was. But sleep carried him into peace, and the small rods he wore around his neck woke him just before the sunrise. He stood by Ohrmazd watching the city come to life, but kept silent, pondering the truth of the voices he heard.

When the others gathered together and debated the course of the morning, he sided with Susan. "A shrine is fine, but whispered wishes aren't worthwhile when we are to get a gathering with the Golthiar. Let's see the streets in the sunrise, seek the hall's seating."

Then he continues, to Eater. "He must be like me, fazed and hazed. If he can see our minds, betwix the lines, then less fanfare, and facticity here, may score us the secrets we seek. If you shan't say sooth, I spurn you to the street, where deceit is doubtless to outshine."

Translation: Let's go to town hall. Also, if the Golthiar can really read our minds, we should be honest in our reasons for being here in hopes that the Ealdorman will help us. If any of you isn't okay with that, perhaps you should stay out of the conversation so that you don't have to lie.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

After some discussion, the town hall becomes the agreed-upon destination. As you leave, Agia is very welcoming, and points out the spire and dome that marks the second ancient building found here, and what set off the first wave of excavations. As you go through the town, the sun over the Riage stirs everyone. Braying aneen and onagers struggle for space on the thoroughfares, men and women head to their trades, and far above the ground to the south you think you can spot the rare figure of a xi-drake, ruling the air. A few people point it out as well and smile - a good omen for the day!

Getting into the building, you realize how a find like it might have spurred the first miners into going further. The inside of the building is far larger than the outside, with the ceiling stretching far beyond where it should have ended. A strange feeling passes over you as you go through the threshold in addition, and your weapons feel... tingly. Probably not the best sign. Already small crowds of people mingle and speak with each other. Deals are made, and the notaries are already signing off on contracts and making copies with memory ants. Shins and sovereigns alike are handed around

Delicate and beautiful geometric symbols cover the floor and in the distance you can see a spire, surrounded by several men in blue robes having a heated conversation. Near them, but clearly apart, an older man in heavy work clothes and an expression of clear frustration sits.

As you approach the spire, a small green creature comes from another entrance, and speaks to the blue-robed men. They shout indistinctly at the newcomer, indistinctly at the range you're at, but clearly angry. He does nothing, but then his neck seems to grow taller, and his arm extends a bit, pointing off to another section of the building. The robed men huff, but leave. As you get near the green man turns around, and you see him clearly.

<Greetings> he(?) says, in a voice utterly devoid of emotion or tone. <I am the Ealdorman Stenwith, how may I help you today?> He looks at each of you with his single, unblinking eye.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Ohrmazd: M:(15/15)E:1; S:(10/10)E:1; I(7/7)E:0; XP:0

Unimpeded by any strange feelings, Ohrmazd in fact feels rejuvenated, the town hall making everything seem safer to him, for some unknown reason.

When he comes face to face with the Ealdorman, he isn't even phased, but bows deeply to him, it?

"I think it is more the other way around Ealdorman. I am traveling as a companion to this man, Charus Loryn." he gestures to him while keeping this new arrival firmly in his sight.

Ohrmazd thinks to himself "The Priest says they communicate by colour. How much does that eye see. Were it not too dangerous, could we commune together if my eye was truly open as well?", Ohrmazd considers this while the others introduce themselves to Stenwith. He racks his mind, did he ever encounter these in his world?

Testing Intellect for Golthiar Lore: 5

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 3, 2014

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater
M:(13/13)E:0; S:(12/12)E:0; I(13/13)E:1; XP:0

"Ooh." Eater shivered at the feeling upon crossing the threshold. "The numenera here must be quite potent. Some kind of aura against violence, perhaps? I know I won't be testing that theory anytime soon." All the same she checked her dagger was safe and secure against falling out of its sash pocket. She covered the motion with an adjustment of her robes.

"And I return your greetings with my own," Eater intoned, giving a slight bow. "We come drawn to Harmuth and the mysteries concealed within. But first, we came to introduce ourselves. I myself am Eater, a pilgrim on the many-branched road to understanding." Her voice was muted and solemn, in an attempt to match the Ealdorman's. Meeting halfway on the bridge and all that.

Hedge Magic-ing Eater's voice to match the Ealdorman's in tone. Because diplomacy!?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Paschal
M:(11/11)E:0; S:(11/11)E:0; I(15/17)E:1; Armor: 1; XP:0

Waiting patiently for his chance to speak without interruption, Paschal carefully probes the otherworldly civic leader's mind. The Ealdorman may be inscrutable to most humans, but they lacked Paschal's unique gifts.

As a lull forms in the chatter, he steps forward to offer a grand bow. "Lord Ealdorman, I offer my sincerest greetings," he booms in grand fashion. "I am known as Paschal, master mentalist, spiritist, and seeker of divine mysteries." He waves an arm toward his fellow performer. "Here in the company of Mister Charus Loryn, master magician, orator, and bard. Together we seek to offer your fair city all manner of amusements, wisdom, and showmanship such as any great metropolis would boast of proudly. We require only your blessing, a few basic accoutrements, and a suitable place to perform. Such fine acts require a ready audience of course." He bows his head in deference. "Of course I would not dream of asking any favor of you without being willing to prove my sincerity. We've heard you are seeking assistance with your excavations, and would be happy to add our more practical talents to the work." He gestures toward the larger group now, having all but ignored them 'till now. "These fellows have shown an interest in those matters as well, and I'm certain between the lot of us we are more than capable of providing the expertise you require."

Going all out to impress the Ealdorman. 1. Lightly probing his mind for hooks to draw his attention. 2. Paschal's empathic abilities make him a master negotiator. 3. Using extra effort on the Int test. Persuading Ealdorman: 1d20 12

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Charus Loryn
M:(12/12)E:0; S:(14/14)E:1; I(11/14)E:0; XP:0; Flex Skill: Entertaining

Charus had planned to remain silent in their meeting, but upon the second mention of his presence by his companions, he decided it was too much and spoke himself. "Good day, good fellow! I am the master magician, bard of the bay and the day! Lord Ealdorman, we wish the play for pay in your bay, in this city as we may. We wish lodgings for our legerdemain, so from begging we might restrain. But there is a varied vision of our visit, if I may: mad as I may be, I have been visited by voices, and I vie to visit the various voids of numenera."

He held a stupid grin on his face for a moment, until the Ealdorman turned to look at him fully. It wasn't clear if it was just sheer luck, or the focus of the golthiar's attention, but Charus enjoyed a moment of mental alacrity. "If you know not what I mean, I wish to see the city below this one, good sir. I've travelled far, as I've been instructed to, by the ethereal effervescence that rules my mind most of the time. I have been told the key to my condition lies below us, deep hidden away, and I must see it if I am to solve my inability. I will entertain the everyman here, which is my trade, by way of payment, if it suits you. Please, Ealdorman, this is my only chance to change my chagrin."

Persuading: 1d20 11 (Intellect, with 1 Effort)

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

This taking so long is entirely my fault. Crusader Kings II got its hooks in me again!

Digging into the depths of his mind, Ohrmazd is left with nothing but the same abyss of amnesia, until the Ealdorman's eye changes colors quickly. Seeing it, Ohrmazd goes rigid. He sees ten thousand creatures, much the same, but of the highest nobility and heroism, with has memories of friendship and loyalty. And he knows they all died in battle. But just as he sees their tall frames, the vision is replaced by the Ealdorman, small and rough in comparison.

Stenwith listens to you all, and his eye blinks once. <Ah. You must be numenera experts.> He carefully looks at you all, noting details and artifacts about you. <Well, I suppose the fliers are doing their job if you arrived. The council has allotted each expert 2 shins per full day you spend in the mines. We cannot pay your room and board. You may keep such ciphers you find and can carry, but those too large to move are to be the property of the town.>

He looks to Charus. <We have no laws against magicians on the streets or in the plazas, so long as you do not incite the people to anarchy. We have had to deal with several charlatans in the past months, and I can tell you some of the citizens may not see kindly to your act if it bears a resemblance.> As Paschal probes his mind, he finds it harder to enter than Kula's the night before: it gently twists and turns upon itself, and when he thinks he has found a way in it turns into a cul-de-sac. But even failures tell him something: a little exasperation, but also some worry. He sees a group of other Golthiar, receding into the distance, replaced by a vision of... it looks like the interior of some temple, dark and incense-filled.

Right, let's get back on track!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater
M:(13/13)E:0; S:(12/12)E:0; I(12/13)E:1; XP:0

"Are the ruins beneath our feet strewn with experts and numenera, that you make such an offer?" Eater continues to apply the numenera to make her voice match the Ealdorman's in tone, watching him closely. "You would allow us to fill our pockets with the treasures of the past, yet give us just enough to fill or bellies with the necessities of the present. Do the merchants of Harmuth await us each day, ready to turn synth into soup? Our companion here-" she turns to include Ohrmazd in the her speech "-can shoulder quite the burden, but to what end? So we can profit a little more each day of toil?"

Having said her piece, Eater stepped back and folded her hands under her sleeves in a gesture of waiting. "As the pollenbat and the luneflower, this is a union with potential. I wish merely to ascertain how long one's tongue must be to taste the nectar."

Spending 2 Intellect for Effort and rolling Intellect: Negotiation: 1d20 12

• Locked thread