Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know game show threads usually move pretty slow on here, but the old one slid off to the archives, and I figured with the new TV season upon us that it was high time for a new one. That, and I don't think anyone has been able to pinpoint how GSN decides when to air their seasons of The Chase, as short as they are.

I'll start things off by talking about Who Wants to be a Millionaire? -- I just found out when my episode of is going to air: September 17. It's a syndicated show, so if you want to tune in to see a drat dorky goon make a fool of hisself on national television, you'd be better served checking your local listings or the show's website for what time exactly it's going to air where you live.

It still plays under the "shuffle" rules from the last couple of seasons: "round one," or the first ten questions in the stack are played in random order, each worth a random amount of money. If you walk during that part, you leave with half of what you banked to that point. Among the changes (asides from the obvious lowering of standards w/r/t who they have as contestants) are the introduction of Terry Crews as the new host, a couple of new audience minigames, and the addition of a new lifeline: the Plus One, which is pretty much phone-a-friend, but they have to be in the studio with you. It replaces one of the jumps from last season, so a player can still jump one question and/or ask the audience as they feel.

While I've liked Millionaire since day one, I have to say that I really like it under the shuffle format, and not just because of my blatantly obvious bias towards it. In its original run it wasn't so much a game about 'the individual' versus 'the house' like with The $64,000 Question, or even your usual player-versus-player dynamic like on just about every other game out there. But it is a game about one versus one's own confidence in the face of, honestly, some pretty life-changing sums of money.

Like Jeopardy!, the show has seen an evolution in the way the material is written -- In the beginning, the show used a lot of questions that you either knew or you didn't. In the last couple of years, the writing style changed to the point where even if you flat-out don't know, the questions are written in such a way that one could still piece together an idea from the context of the question. It's still a game of the player versus themselves, but now there's a couple of extra questions a contestant has to think about in addition to the one in front of them: Can I trust my knowledge? Did I piece enough of it together to pull the trigger on an answer? Am I better off using a lifeline now or am I better off saving it for higher up the stack? Do I even understand the drat question in the first place?

In general, I think there has always been something strangely fascinating about game shows. Since the earliest days of broadcast television, they've been a relatively inexpensive way to fill a time slot, and television was such a novelty in its genesis that there were no shortage of people who would line up just for the off chance someone back home would see them in the audience. As ubiquitous as it is, I'm still pretty amazed by the idea of television. That alone played a big part of why I auditioned for Millionaire in the first place.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[Reserved for links and other info]

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007
Win Ben Stein's Money was a fun game show. They put a dunce cap on contestants who screwed up and answered in the form of a question.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I've been a game show fan since I was a kid. Currently, I just watch Millionaire, Jeopardy, and The Price is Right. Sometimes I catch Family Feud.

I'm pretty sure J! starts its new season Monday September 15. TPiR starts Season 43 on Sept. 22. I think Let's Make A Deal goes HD this year,too.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
there was a previous game show thread that I didn't know about???

they've been my jam for as long as I've watched TV. When I was like 5, I watched Family Feud almost religiously and decided I wanted to be Richard Dawson when I grew up. My life's goal at 13 was to be on Lingo. I have accomplished none of those things. Thanks for making me feel like a failure, thread.

the only ones I watch with such regularity anymore are Wheel of Fortune to make me feel like a genius and Jeopardy! to make me feel like an idiot

oh and watching TPiR was my favorite part of being sick. Bob Barker today, Bob Barker tomorrow, Bob Barker forever. I don't have any specific criticisms of Drew Carey, except for his not being Bob Barker, though it's been months since I've seen him host.

e: Win Ben Stein's Money was indeed fun. Co-starring Jimmy Kimmel, and later, Cousin Sal. Hahahaha Teresa Strasser was one of the writers when it won a Daytime Emmy its first season. That owns.

uublog fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 10, 2014

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I just now noticed that the questions on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire no longer have categories.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

For those that like older game shows, GSN is airing "new" to GSN episodes of $ale of the Century, The $25,000 Pyramid, and Press Your Luck starting in late September.

Also airing in October for who knows what reason, All-Star Secrets, an extremely obscure short-lived game show that aired for all of a few months in 1979. Also airing is an unaired pilot from the 80s for a show called Boggle. No one has any idea what the reason is for, lots are speculating that GSN is going to use the month to air obscure stuff and connect it to Halloween somehow, if this change isn't permanent.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The premiere of "Celebrity Name Game" is tomorrow, I'll be checking it out because Craig Ferguson is hosting.

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm

CarpetCrawler posted:

For those that like older game shows, GSN is airing "new" to GSN episodes of $ale of the Century, The $25,000 Pyramid, and Press Your Luck starting in late September.

I now have a reason to watch GSN for the first time in 3 years

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I've seen about seven or eight episodes of The Chase and none of the contestants on any of those episodes even came close to winning. Do the contestants ever win? I'm about to stop watching it since it's extremely boring when I know the outcome in advance. It feels like the show needs some tweaking, if not an entire overhaul.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

...! posted:

I've seen about seven or eight episodes of The Chase and none of the contestants on any of those episodes even came close to winning. Do the contestants ever win? I'm about to stop watching it since it's extremely boring when I know the outcome in advance. It feels like the show needs some tweaking, if not an entire overhaul.

It is possible, (his record was 7-2 this "season"), but half of it is that they've had some really dumb contestants.

It's worth checking out some of the British episodes on YouTube. It's a weekday show over there, but it moves quicker and has had some games come down to some real nail-biters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KBxK1xcLm0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Bonus points for having a fantastic host:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBslkRsvRng

• Locked thread