Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
don't worry i didn't take it personally, but i know how you feel. i hesitate to be aggressive because i'm too conscious about possibly hurting other people's feelings.

yeah it was definitely kind of a jarring transition from survivor to this. i'm not sure where the specific disconnect for me was. perhaps not having anyone to talk to that you know is on your 'side' or perhaps having no way to make myself feel absolutely safe like by winning a challenge/finding an idol.

in general in life it's just natural to have an 'innocent until proven guilty' mindset. kind of the opposite you want for a mafia game. there's no way to prove guilt really until that hammer comes down so you just gotta attack and hope you're right. i was aware this was how the game is played, but it still takes some practice to truly get into the swing of it. so i feel like i learned quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think survivor has an easier to understand cause and effect chain as well. You have a general idea of what's going to come out of your efforts based on when and where you expend them. I think survivor players have a hard time transitioning because that doesn't really exist in mafia as much. It's not apparent how you should suss out alignments and it can be frustrating to be cased when your sincere. Also, unlike in survivor, there are night kills which completely remove your control over your destiny.

I guess that's what it is, survivor feels like you can control your fate, especially with an honest effort whereas in mafia you're at the mercy of people and the only ones who know you aren't lying want you dead.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also I am ridiculously jealous of you finding an idol without a clue adus. I never talked about it during the game but I scheduled like an hour a day to scour multiple threads for links. I also went through the gdoc history of every gdoc linked in the non archived survivor threads as well. I really wasted a lot of time on searching for that thing. I even used some underhanded tactics that I cannot reveal, but took a frustrating length of time.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
you're preaching to the choir there.

it's a clever trick they used to hide that last one (which they also used for some of the scavenger images). you probably know this by now but for anyone who doesn't: you can thumbnail an image but have it actually link to another. so clicking the image will just enlarge it, but opening it in a new tab/window reveals a different image entirely. so my desperate hunt for idols that ended up having me find scavenger hunt images did end up helping me find an idol later. it was just my luck to be the only one to win the clue anyway and therefore have no real ability to keep it secret. i mean i could have lied but it wouldn't have served much purpose.

i spent a very long time searching though. i'm actually quite frustrated i didn't find the others. the one hidden in the BYOB tribal council was there before the game even started and i thought i had done a fairly thorough job looking through it. also annoyed i didn't find the one in the extreme ways video because i knew there could be a link in a video comment or description and i checked a bunch of videos from old threads and early on in ours but for some reason i did not consider newly linked videos.

ah well, i guess no one else found them without clues either so i don't feel that bad but it made me feel a bit dumb for wasting a lot of my time in some very obscure ways (such as searching doc histories like you mentioned).

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Adus posted:

i spent a very long time searching though. i'm actually quite frustrated i didn't find the others. the one hidden in the BYOB tribal council was there before the game even started and i thought i had done a fairly thorough job looking through it. also annoyed i didn't find the one in the extreme ways video because i knew there could be a link in a video comment or description and i checked a bunch of videos from old threads and early on in ours but for some reason i did not consider newly linked videos.

ah well, i guess no one else found them without clues either so i don't feel that bad but it made me feel a bit dumb for wasting a lot of my time in some very obscure ways (such as searching doc histories like you mentioned).

Adus posted:

yeah very lazy on my part, i agree. but it's actually the truth. i'm more likely to defer to other people's judgment when they seem to have well-reasoned arguments. it's a result of me being insecure in my own abilities plus being not super interested rehashing old points and scanning old posts.

##vote Adus

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Adus posted:

i'm actually quite frustrated i didn't find the others. the one hidden in the BYOB tribal council was there before the game even started and i thought i had done a fairly thorough job looking through it. also annoyed i didn't find the one in the extreme ways video because i knew there could be a link in a video comment or description and i checked a bunch of videos from old threads and early on in ours but for some reason i did not consider newly linked videos.

I knew about the one in Extreme Ways, and seeing the video get posted five times per page with no real reason frustrated the heck out of me, both because Extreme Ways lost its meaning, and also because you guys weren't finding it already.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Each time it was posted I went to the video and listened to it while looking at the pic of hong jinho. I did this every time and never even clicked the description to better understand it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

MildManeredManikin posted:

Each time it was posted I went to the video and listened to it while looking at the pic of hong jinho. I did this every time and never even clicked the description to better understand it.

That was a sexy, sexy picture of Jinho.

Apparently the video is no longer available in my country :(

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Adus

this is the whole reason i was so lazy! i was so burnt out from relentlessly searching posts for idols! had there been more of a break between survivor and this game i probably would have been a bit more motivated.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What are these Survivor games and how often are they run?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Met posted:

What are these Survivor games and how often are they run?

Here's the most recent Survivor game, with links to previous games in the OP: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650423&pagenumber=1

I'm not entirely sure when the next game will be run, but probably some time after Genius is over.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

The irony of Met owning the TVIV thread for Survivor! It's just a version of the game played on the forums. They run every few months and the next one should start up at the same time as the TV show.

Edit: Probably during Genius if I recall the TV schedule for Survivor.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's not like making a thread for a show is anything that takes any difficulty. I was just bored that day and wanted a cleaner OP than what we had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey everybody, you're all cool and also formally invited to sign up for BREAD MAFIA II!

• Locked thread